Does Bob Nudd have a brain at all?

R

Rodney Wrestt

Seriously Ron? a barbel, why would they do that? I know that years ago ignorance of the way a water's natural ballance was maintained by scavengers and predators resulted in pike being thrown up the bank, but as I say that was going back almost a decade, I suppose this is like some game anglers in the past throwing grayling up the bank. There's no excuse for this behaviour now, as most anglers are educated in the ecology and welfare of a fishes lifecycle to realise the damage they could be doing..... aren't they????

Jase, Do you really think people would treat fish with such disregard in this day and age? I would be really surprised if there was still an angler out there who had such little respect for any fish these days.

Claudia,
You're gonna make me work for this aren't you????
:eek:) look forward to it :eek:)

Lee Swords

Reaction score
I have probably blown any chance of that letter being published now but what the hell!

Bob needs a bit of a kicking for his comment and I think we should give it to him.

R

Rodney Wrestt

"Tom **** and Ahmed Lee, even in such a heart felt letter of complaint you still raise a smile...... :eek:)

Dave German

Reaction score
Lots of times on the nene & the drains i've seen a match finish & after the weigh in one or two will throw in a livebait (even where its not allowed) to catch the pike "thats cost them the money" catch a jack & whack it on the head, seems to satisfy them somehow. my mate has actually witnessed poles (definitely Polish) being given fish by pole fishermen on Ravely drain to catch pike, while he was moaned at for returning predators.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

Well said Lee, I agree with all you have written. and it needed saying too.

For too long people like BN have been at the top of the UK angling scene. And lets face it all they have ever done is win a few matches.

I will say it as simple as possible:

Match angling is at the lower end of angling philosophy and that's where it should stay. If people want to fish matches, let them do so on muddy puddles where each fish is counted in points or weight, and where they can exercise the piscatorial equivalent of playing darts.

But don't let them loose on natural waterways.

R

Rodney Wrestt

It seems to me the simple solution would be to have pike count as weighable catches in a match..... or would that be too easy?

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Rod, I think it's the time waste factor that upsets match anglers. It was when I was involved in match angling, I've seen them chucked up the bank and snapped off during the fight, becauase they are wasting time.

It's digraceful, ignorant and selfish to do so!

I would like to see Bod defend his comments at a PAC meeting, now that would be interesting!

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

He wouldn't know how to Steve because he is not a real angler.

He's just a number cruncher.

Like some of the specimen hunters of today too.

R

Rodney Wrestt

Alright Steve?
I have to admit, I couldn't see a reason to through any fish up the bank, regardless of species, but then I'm just like most on here a simple pleasure angler, what do we know?

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Yeah okay Rod and you?

I was right into match angling many years ago, it's not about fishing, it's about money, the winnings!

I am so glad I got out of it, there was no pleasure in it all.

P.s. I meant Bob! (must spellcheck!)

R

Rodney Wrestt

I can't wait Claudia :eek:)

Yeah I'm doin' alright just now Steve,
I've fished a couple of matches for the club that ran my local canal in practices, to make up the numbers when I was already on the water, but nothing serious, at least not in my view, but then some of the regs didn't like it when I out fish them on their own water. Just a bit of fun on my part though.

J

john ledger

I do like a Bob Nudd article just before i go to bed,the wife tells me it works better than Horlicks

R

Rodney Wrestt

I'm sure the A.T. editor is a site member, maybe he'll pass on our concerns and ask Bob to draw up a reply?

C

Chris Bishop

Midlands pike anglers are shocked and dismayed at Bob Nudd's call for a pike cull on the Warwickshire Avon, the PAC's Midlands liaison officer said tonight .

Writing in the News of the World today, the former World Champion matchman said:

"There are too many pike in our rivers and they need culling.

"On my last visit to the Warwickshire Avon, the moment I started catching a few roach every other one was snatched as I brought it to the landing net.

But PAC Midlands liaison officer Mick Bowen, who fishes the river with many other PAC members said: "West Midlands PAC members are shocked by Bob Nudd's comments based on his occasional visits to the Avon.

"Those who regularly fish the river have seen a change from attitude that all predators need culling and an anti-pike stance amongst the local match and pleasure angling fraternity to one where a degree of common sense and co-operation exists.

"At a time when Angling needs harmony between its various factions we find Bob Nudd's remarks very disappointing and call on all match anglers to see the bigger picture where predator and prey will find a natural balance if left to nature.

"Local predator anglers do not wish to see a return to a time when predators are thrown up the bank."

The PAC was tonight trying to contact Nudd to request a meeting. The club is urging him to think again and retract his comments.
====================================================
PAC chairman Colin Goodge tonight called for Bob Nudd to meet with pike anglers to discuss the calls he made for a predator cull in a Sunday newspaper.
Writing in the News of the World, former World Champion Nudd said: "There are too many pike in our rivers and they need culling.
"On my last visit to the Warwickshire Avon, the moment I started catching a few roach every other one was snatched as I brought it to the landing net."
His comments have provoked outrage among predator anglers, particularly in the West Midlands, where pikers have fought long and hard against the sling 'em up the bank attitude.
"We don't make comments about match anglers cramming 60lbs of fish in keepnets.
"While some of us are trying to unite angling, what's he trying to do. What scientific evidence has he got..?
"We want to sit down with Bob and talk about this. We think it's selfish and divisive for someone in his position to make comments like this."
Writing in his News of the World column, Nudd went on: "At a time when sport on so many of our rivers is starting to return big time, the last thing we need is shoals of pike depleting the stocks.
"Some will disagree but it makes sense to thin them out."
Evidence from culls conducted over the years shows all they achieve is a population explosion in smaller predators.
The PAC campaigns for the pike to be recognised as playing a vital part in any balanced, sustainable fishery.
Club officials were tonight <Sunday> trying to contact Bob Nudd.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Thanks for that Chris I hadn't seen it.

I am gobsmacked!

Quote.
"Some will disagree but it makes sense to thin them out."

Comments like that will start it all off again! What was he thinking when he said that? Unbelievable, coming from a world champion!

C

Chris Bishop

Richard and Greg are on our mailing list, so they'll have received the various statements the PAC has issued on this today.

I must have had a dozen phone calls about it this morning.

People are very angry about it. In fact I'm struggling to think of the last thing pike anglers I know got this cross about.

Colin Goodge hits the nail on the head when he talks about people trying to unite angling.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester

That is an excellent letter Lee.
I would like to see it in the A.T. in the next week or so.
No doubt the ratings and replys would and should go through the roof.

You have probably written this letter as an individual and all credit to you.

Just as an after thought, what are the chances of Bob in the name of the DVSG putting his weight behind it?

I know it was said that the DVSG wouldn't get involved in anything politicle, but I think this is one instance where you would get the magority backing and respect of most of the anglers in this country.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester

How can this cretin (Nudd the Dudd) be called an ambassador for angling after these comments he has come out with?

I am not a Pike angler but have done my share of it in the past. The one thing I do know about Pike is that they serve a usefull purpose in our fisherries. Especially the bigger Pike.

Nudd.
Hang up your gear lad. You have lost the plot.