Does Your Tackle Shop Have a Till?

• Thread starter Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)
  • Start date
W

Wolfman Woody

Not only should they have a till in this day and age, everything should be bar coded with a scanner so they can adjust their stock levels automatically and re-order as necessary rather than leaving it until they're out.

D

david bruce 1

iI know tills are very expensive to rent or buy as we needed one for the charity shop we are involved with BUT you can get a calculator with a print out paper roll, for a reasonable price and give the print out as a receipt,our accounts dept use these calculatorsall the time and can then check their entries.

Maverick

Reaction score
Pretty sure my local tackle dealer uses a calculator too, but he's not exactly big time. In this day and age you expect all shops to use a till of some description, but an all-singing, all-dancing EPOS systemwith barcode scanner etc etcis a capital expenditure not all tackle dealers can justify.

As fortills being a legal requirement, what's the difference between a retailerwith shop premises anda trader selling his wares ona market stall? Plenty of market traders are VAT registered (I also acceptplenty aren't!!) but most of those won'thave accessto a till. They or an accountant do theirbooks, theirtax returns etc. and I think its down to taxman to theninvestigate/audit if he thinks there's something untoward.

T

The Monk

my drug dealer doesnt have a till or itemise items, is he operating illegally??

Wayne Beale

Reaction score
Nigel (ACA).

You will find that a lot of tackle dealers use a calculator and a till. The reason is quite simple in that most tackle shops offer a discount on items purchased and the calculator is to work out the discount e.g. 5% of £339 =16.95 discount= £322.05 charged, this amount being rung up on the till. Easy.

W

Wolfman Woody

"I think its down to taxman to theninvestigate/audit if he thinks there's something untoward. "

So long as they shove their takings under the floor boards and not in the bank they might just get away with it, but we do have a TAX INSPECTOR comes on here at times!

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
The taxman will know the law, i am happy with the shops i use, but its not if a shop has a till or not for me, it's how you are treated and the choice of tackle that makes a good shop.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
The taxman cometh !

I can only speak about VAT here butVAT regulationsrequirea shopto keep a record of its takings.It doesn't require the shopkeeper touse a till to do that but if a till is used then the till roll should be retained.The alternative is to record every sale manually which isn't very practical.Similarly the shop only has to issue a full tax invoice to another Vat registered person.Your average tackle shop customer isn't so the shopkeeper doesn't have to issue a full VAT invoice...most issue a simplified vat invoice which you and I call a receipt.I think they have to issuea full receiptif asked for and if its over an amount I cant remember...but stricytly speaking they're not obliged to issue one for each & every sale under tax law....trading standards regs may be a bit different.Not sure.

So...techgnically speaking no shop isactually "breaking the law" by not using a till provided they have a means of recording their daily takings that enables them to calculate their tax accurately and the "tax inspector" is satisfied that it does.Its more of an issue for shops that sell goods subject to different rates of VAT...like corner shops & newsagents because they need to separate out sales at different rates [cue bar codes] but pretty well everything in a tackleshop is standard rated for VAT and the VAT due is 7/47ths of the total daily "take".

As its been pointed out modern till's can be programmed to do all sorts of things and therefore cannot be trusted....but just because there is no till doesn't make a shopkeeper dishonest.

Brian