Don't be afraid to AGREE or DISAGREE...Fishing fact or pure guesswork?

Chevin

Reaction score
i believe that a single boilie on a size 10 wide gape is the perfect trap for that marauding monster. (prob why i havn't caught it yet) :eek:mg:

i believe 4lb+ perch are there in abundance, you just cant catch them.

i believe that some enterprising ****** took a 4lb perch from Arlesey and dropped it into Amptill Park Lake

i believe its time to get me coat now :wh:wh

No need for a boilie for those guys, just strap a hook to a surfer and the croc will take him in the water or on land - they aren't fussy.

I have often wondered how that big perch came to be in Amptill Park Lake but I think that it must have been a very well fed parch. I don't know what the lake is like now but in the fifties it was full of small carp which seemed to breed prolifically, there would have been plenty of food for any predators.

There are plenty of 4lb+ perch here in Western Australia but most of them are in private dams and so you need to be able to locate them and get permission to fish there.

images

The fish above is a good one, but If the guy in the video told me he had caught a 4lb perch, I wouldn't believe him. The fish in the video is supposed to be 52cms long - that is close to 20"!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cVrDbeb7Rk

Its going to be a lovely day with the temperature getting to about 35C today, so I believe I will have a few beers while sitting by my pond this evening.

Last edited:

laguna

Reaction score
I have never succeeded in catching fish with a split shot squeezed on a hook fishing over hemp, but I have had fish mistake my dropper shot for hemp many times.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
They know exactly what they're up to, which is winding you up...

---------- Post added at 15:48 ---------- Previous post was at 15:45 ----------

Right, not a belief, but a half-formed suspicion:
DEW. If there's morning dew, go for cyprinids; if the morning grass and windscreens are bone dry, take the pike or perch kit. Any thoughts? (Other than the obvious "why doesn't this fool keep a diary?")

greenie62

Reaction score
...DEW. If there's morning dew, go for cyprinids; if the morning grass and windscreens are bone dry, take the pike or perch kit. Any thoughts? (Other than the obvious "why doesn't this fool keep a diary?")

Hi Al,
How do the Dew observations square with the 'smoke on the water' early morning mists which were a sure sign of pike activity as you brought a babby roach in?

Yeah - you're right - they just do it to wind you up! :eek:mg:

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
The shot bites aren't just fish being cruel to anglers; they've worked out that an exasperated angler chucks in more feed. He then packs up early, having ruined his swim, giving them a whole evening to graze in full Waltonian "Water Sheep" on a rich bed of new-sown seed, without a care in the world.
It does seem a bit too devious for roach to work out; I can only suppose a chub taught them.

Post-retirement morning duties have included getting el Sproggo launched at the world in general and school in particular for so long that I can't remember the last time I saw mist at dawn, or even dawn by the waterside. Still, Uni next year, gods willing, and he can launch himself and leave me to set the alarm for sparrowfart... heaven help me if he ends up at a London college!

laguna

Reaction score
The shot bites aren't just fish being cruel to anglers; they've worked out that an exasperated angler chucks in more feed. He then packs up early, having ruined his swim, giving them a whole evening to graze in full Waltonian "Water Sheep" on a rich bed of new-sown seed, without a care in the world.
It does seem a bit too devious for roach to work out; I can only suppose a chub taught them.

Post-retirement morning duties have included getting el Sproggo launched at the world in general and school in particular for so long that I can't remember the last time I saw mist at dawn, or even dawn by the waterside. Still, Uni next year, gods willing, and he can launch himself and leave me to set the alarm for sparrowfart... heaven help me if he ends up at a London college!
Ha! yes thats it... a tug for more hemp little sods!
I'm usually grabbing a couple of hours at sparrowfart having spend the night finger tapping some drawn out speil about bait that nobody cares to read... but when I do go (fishing), its shorter than it used to be (and so is that) but its the age see, I use to do all night other things.

P

pointngo

Zander can see in the dark....

Better than most fish maybe but only with some light and clear water....

unless they wear night vision goggles or have thermal imaging cameras.

laguna

Reaction score
Mealworms might be a better bait prospect than maggots.
They are expensive but are easier to keep and rear and the fish definitely like em.

robcourt82

Reaction score
Roach do not attempt to take dropper shot mistaking it for hemp.
All good hempers know that you have to fish on the drop and you have to feed regularly to do so. The so called shot bites are just fish snatching at the hookbait as it flashes past them on its descent.
Shallow up a few inches and proper bites ensue.
I know this to be true because I am half human,half roach and I don't like the taste of lead! :)

flightliner

Reaction score
Bream hibernate in winter, I know because an expert at A NASA meeting told me so.
Gudgeon are harder to catch on the Trent than a double figure Barbel, I know believe me I know.
I've got golden balls, I know because lots of angling friends have told me so.

snooozer

Reaction score
This should be fun! :D

# Fish can be caught on a static bare hook. I know this to be true because it once happened to me.
FALSE.
Because i can't catch em on a baited hook !

# Synthetic and artificial baits and flavours are poor substitutes for the real thing. I know this to be true because fish are acutely aware of the difference even if the buying angler isn't.
FALSE.
My local tackle shop sold me loads of them and told me the carp can't tell the difference !

# Maggots can be killed and preserved for up to 3 years without freezing. I know this is true because, well I just know!
Mah, Maybe

# Double handled reels are **** and were only invented to stop spool imbalance when fishing without the anti-reverse on. I know this to be false because they were invented for anal tackle tarts :eek:mg:

TRUE
FALSE

I know this because i have 4 of them, And i am NO Tart...Honest

My head hurts now :eek:mg:

rayner

Reaction score
Bare static hooks may catch fish I have no proof they don't.
Baited hooks work fine.
One things for sure static baits are nowhere near as effective as moving baits.