Double elastic

steviebearuk

Reaction score
Hi guys
I have elasticated quite a few top kits myself but i have never used double elastic and have'nt a clue how to do it. Any help would be so appreciated,
Steve.

sagalout

Reaction score
Double up the elastic and thread it through, I know this sounds simplistic but that is because it is. I always knot both ends rather than leave one end as an uncut loop because I believe that it is unequal lengths that give the soft start with a fast power up. There was a discussion here http://www.fishingmagic.com/forums/coarse-fishing/353569-elastic-strength-roach-small-carp.html

It seems to be a personal thing but I like doubled up 6, 8 and 10 elastic. I have tried hollows and like them but find them to be expensive and the Nick Gilbert micro bore I am currently trying is brilliant in snag free water but much to soft where there are snags.

sagalout

Reaction score
M'lud, anecdotally it is soft to start and powers up quickly, so double 6 is good for smaller fish and bonus carp. I double 6, 8 and 10. The doubled 10 can be problematic because of the amount of elastic in the top skinny part of the pole so I am currently comparing with solid 14 and 18. I don't want to cut the top kit back because I want all top kits the same length.

Chefster

Reaction score
M'lud, anecdotally it is soft to start and powers up quickly, so double 6 is good for smaller fish and bonus carp. I double 6, 8 and 10. The doubled 10 can be problematic because of the amount of elastic in the top skinny part of the pole so I am currently comparing with solid 14 and 18. I don't want to cut the top kit back because I want all top kits the same length.
Cut them all back then,they work better,being stiffer,elastic does the work..

sagalout

Reaction score
Cut them all back then,they work better,being stiffer,elastic does the work..
I dunno, sounds a bit drastic to me. The cupping kit is already a couple of inches longer than the power kits and the length of that is fixed (at least in my simple world until you correct me) by the cupping kit screw bit.

Wouldn't cutting the kits back devalue them/the pole when I come to sell it on some whim in the future? Very tempted by some of the prices on the signature range at the moment.

steviebearuk

Reaction score
Many thanks for the replies. Just wondering whether there is a youtube or step by step guide on how to elasticate with double elastic. Steve

sagalout

Reaction score
Steve Ringer does it like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSMkjSPdeoo but because I obviously know more than Steve Ringer :D I knot both ends. Double the elastic and elastic the top kit as if it was a single elastic, don't overthink it, it ain't rocket science if it was I couldn't do it coz I are mostly fick.

Chefster

Reaction score
I dunno, sounds a bit drastic to me. The cupping kit is already a couple of inches longer than the power kits and the length of that is fixed (at least in my simple world until you correct me) by the cupping kit screw bit.

Wouldn't cutting the kits back devalue them/the pole when I come to sell it on some whim in the future? Very tempted by some of the prices on the signature range at the moment.
Wont devalue them at all,my signature 1000 came pre-bushed,but i still cut them back to accommodate the thickest elastic,im likely to use,and put a drennan extra long super-slick bush in them,basically i dont want any bend in the tip itself,bites are easier to hit,especially from F1,s etc,no tip bounce when shipping out with kinder pots etc, laccy never sticks,loads of positives mate.,obviously you need to try and keep them all the same,and the cupping kit,roughly the same.Gazza