Drennan Vertex range, universally disliked?

chrisjpainter

Reaction score
As above. I've heard a lot of criticism of the range. I liked the Series 7 range, but its replacement seems to be rather derided by the people I've spoken to. Flat, stiff and a bit soulless apparently. Anyone share the thoughts? Someone must be buying them, or they'd ditch the range and have another go!

RMNDIL

Reaction score
If they didn't sell then they wouldn't be in the range.

Put equivalents side by side (S7/Vertex) and the Vertex are better in every way. Flat ? Stiff ? Soulless ? Compared to S7 absolutely not.

chrisjpainter

Reaction score
I use Medium Feeder in preference to Acolyte Ultra Feeder. Exact same actions & powers but the Vertex is just nicer to use, play skimmers on etc
That's really useful; thanks. I'm looking at their carp waggler rod. My independent tackle shop's trying to get me to spend an extra £80 to get an acolyte, but I can't justify it. He reckons the Daiwa Ninja is better than the Vertex, which would surprise me although I do own the ninja and it's decent for the price. Food for thought, anyway!

Kevin aka Aethelbald

Reaction score
I've read that the float rod isn't that nice, but the feeder is very good.

So, being in the market for a chub rod, I waggled the 11ft Vertex medium feeder today and it was light (lighter than the Daiwa Ninja), nicely balanced, and the action felt kind of 'alive'... flexible right through the handle (I waggled it hard!)

At full price I just couldn't get past the colour scheme and graphics, but if I see one on eBay I'll buy it to complement the 1.25lb Twin Tip Duo that I walked away with. If I were to guess the test curve of the Vertex, I'd say about 1lb.

The advantage of the Vertex and the Duo over the Acolyte Plus (that I just sold) is that you can get glass tips, which is what I wanted for chub. And if you break a section on an Acolyte it'll cost twice as much as a replacement for the Vertex or Duo.

As for comparisons with the Series 7 you'll always get the pipe smokers who think everything was better back in the day... in general terms, I don't believe any of that stuff when I read it.

nottskev

Reaction score
As for comparisons with the Series 7 you'll always get the pipe smokers who think everything was better back in the day... in general terms, I don't believe any of that stuff when I read it.

Some of the best rods made back in the day have no equivalent now and are sought by practical anglers rather than nostalgists.

Pipe smokers? Looking at some of the lurid decor on Drennan rods - would they call it turquoise or ultramarine? - you have to wonder what they've been smoking. I have one Drennan rod, a Matchpro Ultralight 11', and I've just counted 42 words of text on the foot above the handle. Everything short of "Hold thick end".

Of course they do make some good rods, and I agree about glass tips. It used to be said they'll also accept tips from a long run of Daiwa rods, but I can't vouch for that.

Kevin aka Aethelbald

Reaction score
Pipe smokers? Looking at some of the lurid decor on Drennan rods - would they call it turquoise or ultramarine? - you have to wonder what they've been smoking.

I agree - it's the only thing that put me off the Vertex, they even do the silk wraps in that horrid Drennan blue. The only thing I want to see in anything close to that colour when I'm fishing, is a kingfisher.

I imagine a 'customer feedback' email to Drennan from an ex-graphic designer will fall on deaf ears. And yet the Acolyte is one of the nicest looking rods out there. I guess many people don't care either way.

I don't mind the text about line BS and so on - it's on the underside (out of sight when in use) and I've found it useful when looking at older/secondhand Series 7 rods and when buying my first re-entry to coarse fishing which was a Matchpro Ultralight, when the specs are otherwise hard to find. Helpful for relative duffers like me.

RMNDIL

Reaction score
I imagine a 'customer feedback' email to Drennan from an ex-graphic designer will fall on deaf ears. And yet the Acolyte is one of the nicest looking rods out there. I guess many people don't care either way.
Correct unfortunately. It's Peter's ball and if he wants to take it home he will.