drinking and fishing

W

Wolfman Woody

Exactly Sash. As I said "...assholes will always be assholes."

Direct your comments to them. Except that they won't read them because they're assholes.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Sash is back from the pub again.

Read And Learn.
No cans on the bank, end of.

When you are on my waters, you will do as I say and not as you want.

P

Phil Hackett HC/PCPL, SCT with Pride

Proud to be a do-gooder me! If it gets rid of the Pi==heads, litterlouts and antisocial elements out of the club for good.

Here?s an actual case that happened to a mate of mine for over 20 years. And yes I was on the water when it took place.
He fishes on his own, is a quite man and bothers nobody.
He was fish the other side of a lake (58 acres), these angler who say they enjoy a drink when on the bank. About midnight, start shouting across the lake his name and taking the iss out of him for almost an hour because they caught a couple of bream.

These guys didn?t know him, other than his name and that he was a bream angler. They BTW weren?t bream anglers.

In the morning I went round to have a word with them about what all the shouting was about. Their excuse, we were issed and thought we?d have a laugh! At the time I wasn?t a bailiff, but asked them whether they though it acceptable to abuse a fellow angler they didn?t even know?
Excuse again, ?Oh it was only a laugh mate, we meant no harm by it!?

A laugh to them may be? It wasn?t to my mate, it disturbed him to think somebody he didn?t know felt the need when issed, to hurl abuse across the lake at him.

These guys when they?d not had a drink were normal, respectful type of guys.

So should fellow members have to put up with this kind of behaviour because some members like a drink?

Malc Bason

Reaction score
Again a 'lets ban everything that does'nt suit me' attitude!

Pi$$heads are pi$$head Phil! Ban them not the drink!

Some members like a drink - fine! Sort out the trouble makers!

E

EC

What about being under the influence of alcohol, then trying to cast a lead?

Does anyone here think that it is ok to have a drink then cast out a 2oz lead whilst under the influence of alcohol?

And what about unhooking fish whilst having been drinking, does anyone here say that is ok?

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

I think the pi$$ heads would say yes to your every word Eddie.

Phill.
If this was the same four I know of, it wasn't their first time. Last year they got the total of a 12 year ban between them. Good riddance.

Malc Bason

Reaction score
I say 'yes' on both counts Eddie - but there's a difference between drinking and getting drunk.

If I wanted to get drunk I would be in the pub or at home! Not that I get drunk these days!

When fishing abroad, I have been know to have too many, but each time the rods have been reeled in and I've slept it off in the bivvy!

E

EC

Nice of you to answer honestly Malc but to me the bottom line is that drinking alcohol impairs your judgement!

A slight 'sway' could see you in deep water, a 'touch too much' on that cast could see the lead overshoot the mark and hit someone opposite, yes these things could happen anyway, but having any amount of alcohol in your system increases the likelihood of accidents.

S

sash

"Ban them not the drink!" and "there's a difference between drinking and getting drunk" - Exactly.

"Sash is back from the pub again" - Nope, river actually. Fishing. You should try it sometime Baz.

Fully agree with you regarding litter on the banks, indeed I've spoken out a number of times recently regarding lifetime bans to litterlouts on a local venue. Please don't tar every person who cracks a can open on the bank with the same brush though....

"When you are on my waters, you will do as I say and not as you want" - LOL LOL LOl You do make me laugh fella

Malc Bason

Reaction score
Eddie, "a slight sway" would mean I'd had too much. To put a "touch too much" on a cast sufficiantly to reach the other side of the lake would mean, in my book, a person had TOO much drink! I, and those I know who drink and fish, would not get to that stage.

Alcohol does impair judgement, I agree 100% Eddie. But in degrees!

Malc Bason

Reaction score
Do you night fish Eddie? Do you night fish with mates? If so and you personally like a few cans of beer, then I find it extremely difficult to accept that you would not wish to enjoy a few beers on the bank!

If you don't do the above then, not meaning to offend, you are not in a position to judge!

Try it, you might think differently.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Why not try a spliff while you are at it?
Go on, it won't do you any harm.

You can do what you like on your own waters Sash, that is unless you only fish day ticket waters, or have a club where they don't care. But on my waters, you will tow the line.

By the way, I don't mind repeating myself on this thread, but in reality, I will tell you once and once only. And you know what will happen next don't you?

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Then in your own words Malc, you are in no position to judge then are you?

Malc Bason

Reaction score
I used to!

If someone else decides to light one up, and he/she isn't bothering me, or is potentially not harming the fish, then each to their I say!

Again, those who understand the effects of smoking dope will know that it 'chills you out' - it relaxes you! It does'nt turn the user into a drug-crazed monster, before anyone suggests it does!

E

EC

Yes I do night fish Malc, the clubs I am in ban alcohol, and cans/bottles of any kind on the bank mate.

I know that even a relatively small amount of alcohol impairs judgement, and as such, even when, say, night fishing on a beach, I choose not to drink. Although to be fair I am often driving also, but on the occasions when I am not, I still choose not to, as swinging lead around when under the influence is dodgy as far as I am concerned.

?

<?))))><.???`?. born to fish (callum) made to wor

Drinking in moderation is fine (+taking rubbish home) but getting totally $h1t faced is another different matter

but baz banning cans I find a bit annoying especially if you ban sweetcorn tins as well. I can think of a few lakes that do.

S

sash

Oooooh, I'm scared Baz, LOL, LOL and mega ROTFLMAO LOL. And you know absolutely zip about my fishing andthe clubs/syndicates/ organisations I'm a member of so please don't judge something (else) you know absolutely nothing about.

Malc Bason

Reaction score
Thats fair enough Eddie and I respect your decision. However, you mention night fishing, and at the same time driving.

When I'm night fishing, I mean I am there till morning. Not fishing into the night then driving home!