Eating fish

• Thread starter little sister ( Jeff )
  • Start date
L

little sister ( Jeff )

forgot the building trade !!!!!!!!

They were only a few cany lads,they didn't mean any harm.

L

Les Clark

Dave ,I think that there is a new labour law out now that will upset the black market farmers , they will have to register all of their work force or face a massive fine .
I agree that they will have to be paid the minimun wage in a lot of work places and this is the point ,they will be happy to work for that sort of money becouse it is a lot more than they can earn back home ,to them it is a step up in wages ,they are over the moon ,to me it is a big step down and i`m not happy with minimun wage but a hell of alot of employers are sticking to that becouse they can get the Poles etc to work for it .

F

Frothey

funny thing is that a lot are drifting back as there is a masive shortage of builders, plumbers, electricians etc over there, so they're starting to be offered wages that make it pointless coming over here.

next up romania and bulgaria.....

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

The problem is all caused by that bitch Thatcher taking all the power away from the unions --
If the unions still had some of their power/strength there would be none of this exploitation of immigrant workers and they would be unable to work for less than our own workforce ......

Peter Bishop

Reaction score
ED, not thought of it in that context but I suppose you have point.
The only problem is that our union led labour costs have,in comparrson with Eastern European and third world countries,been suicidally high for ages.
Our products cannot compete abroad or at home against imports.
As long as the British buying public prefer to buy Chinese shoes for ?20 instead Clarks at ?70, shirts from ASDA for a fiver rather than a British made one costing ?50,and Fridge Freezers made in Taiwan for ?180 rather than one made in England by Hoover or Hotpoint for twice that, we are always going to be second best to Johnny Foreigner.
Regrettably, is because of those very same union rates and outmoded working practices that cheaper foreign labour is so attactive and gives British companies the chance to compete.
It might be hard to swallow, but the Poles are bloody hard workers. A guy I know who has a spring water bottling factory in Devon told me he would go out of business without his Polish workers for they keep his costs to managable proportions which allows him to sell to Sainsbury's, who are forever trying to drive the cost to Joe Public down and swell their own profits.
It's a difficult one to call.

F

Frothey

hotpoint and hoover (not british owned any more anyway) could get away with charging twice as much if their product was any good....AEG and Mille do.

thats the problem with much of british industry, asking twice as much for a product that was half as good!

John Ledger (ACA)

Reaction score
Jeff
I have been onto a number of Polish clubs in my area and they know there is a problem,the old Poles who are established here say its the young ones coming in and they do not understand our culture which is a pity because they have no trouble understanding our benefits system

L

little sister ( Jeff )

That sounds very true John, some things are more important than others when it comes to understanding.

Hope you are having a good Christmas.