eBay is NOT always the cheapest....

robcourt82

Reaction score
Despite all the charges ebay is still often the easiest place to find a cheap price. It's possible to run a massive ebay shop from a storage container which has far fewer overheads than a high st store. Type in the search bar, and scroll. Navigating multiple websites and then filling forms in is too much hassle!
Personally I prefer to use my local dealer, I've known him for years, get on well with him and always get a good deal there. Unfortunately where I live there isn't the demand for the tackle I like/ want so I often have to buy online.

dicky123

Reaction score
I too use EBay a lot and buy most items of tackle their. But I too have had mixed results.

One was the only negative feedback I ever received. I sold a fly reel (too cheap really) and in the picture it had a fly line attached. I didn't specify the line was not part of the sale, and the buyer presumed it was. The reel was sold for £110 the line attached was £50. The guy was really snotty and would not remove his negative feedback.

Just recently when ordering small items, hooks, float stops, a small spot all from different suppliers the items have not been arriving. I'm sure at times they just forget to post the items out, and send them when you complain? It's happening far too often now. One shop told me that UK mail had told them their mail was delayed, can that be right?

I also think 10 to 15% is crazy for selling, and now PayPal are using the costs too.

You can sell and item and it cost you 16% crazy. But is there a better way I ask myself?

****y.

B

binka

I also think 10 to 15% is crazy for selling, and now PayPal are using the costs too.

You can sell and item and it cost you 16% crazy. But is there a better way I ask myself?

****y.

Everyone is getting greedy imo.

I took that hit after selling a rod which then cost me a further £31 to send securely :(

I really don't get all this costly insurance business when sending things via Royal Mail, to insure against breakage or loss.

If they can't deliver it intact, after taking money from you to do just that, then they should be the ones liable for the cost as far as I'm concerned.

Ps...

If anyone's watching BBC News at One they are at the dry riverbed of the upper Colne shortly, reporting on the drought.

laguna

Reaction score
Thanks lads.
We're lucky to some extent as we sell more from our website than we do on eBay, its a quick and easy sign up but its not for everyone as noted. We sell some stuff you can't buy anywhere else and not everything is listed on eBay, however eBay is huge and has a tremendous footfall so it obviously pays to have a small presence, each order is usually accompanied with a compliment slip with our web address on though to be honest I'm not sure if eBayers take any notice.
We, and I suppose other sellers suffer from the odd drunkard and loony messaging us from eBay (usually sent late Saturday evening/early hours Sunday. You wouldn't believe the questions we get asked! :D I'll have to quote you some in a new thread sometime! :eek:mg:

The other thing is fake accounts. On eBay they seem to set them up just for a laugh or something? One guy once ordered something on Sunday and we sent it first thing on Monday morning - then in the afternoon complained he hadn't received it? Nob head! :rolleyes:
The other one to watch out for is new account holders who buy the cheapest item available... then complain about something trivial and threaten to leave negative feedback, which by the way is against ebay policy. Usually they're kids trying it on.

Some time ago we won a case against a buyer who had claimed new, unused goods were not as described, but the buyer's negative feedback was never repealed, giving us a score less than 100% for the first time. Can't be right, surely?
I find the best way is to use eBay live chat and explain the situation. Usually (at least in our case as has happened occasionally) they sort it out there and then. We once got left a negative for eBay international losing our package!

Problem is you would have to go back to eBay customer service as they would not automatically remove that negative, crazy but true. Pretty sure your time limited to having them removed too.
I used to be a power seller and customers can be a nightmare if your trying to protect your PS status and all the discounts that go with !

I buy small bits of tackle off eBay and Amazon as I can't always get what I want from my local TS, just bought myself a set of drennan stillwater blues the other day. But if I'm buying reels or a rod then I generally go down to the TS I pay a bit more than online but I get to try before I buy and I have it there and then no anxious waiting for the delivery man to call.
I also buy directly off online web sites, but do think it's a pain to have to " register" every time tho'

Laguna just had a look at your site some interesting looking baits you have there
Thanks very much Rich, and I take your point regards registering. We are looking at a few different solutions to speed it up or to have the option of no registration at all.

B

binka

Thanks very much Rich, and I take your point regards registering. We are looking at a few different solutions to speed it up or to have the option of no registration at all.

There's a site I use for local takeaway food Chris and this lets me use it as a guest without having to register or log in.

The upside of registering is that all of those fields which you usually have to fill in are already completed for you. If you want a link to the site so you can look at what they're doing just let me know and i'll pm it over for you but I expect you're already ahead of the game.

Steve ???? :) :) :)

:D :D :D

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Ps...

If anyone's watching BBC News at One they are at the dry riverbed of the upper Colne shortly, reporting on the drought.
I watched that Binka, a bit worrying but I feel it will not last. They did say its not unusual these rivers dry up, just that it was unusual in May.

laguna

Reaction score
There's a site I use for local takeaway food Chris and this lets me use it as a guest without having to register or log in.

The upside of registering is that all of those fields which you usually have to fill in are already completed for you. If you want a link to the site so you can look at what they're doing just let me know and i'll pm it over for you but I expect you're already ahead of the game.

:D :D :D
Yes please Steve send pm if its not too much trouble as we're looking at all possible solutions :w

B

binka

Yes please Steve send pm if its not too much trouble as we're looking at all possible solutions :w

It's on it's way mate.

Just one thing...

I think you might have to wait until their opening times to be able to start putting an order together but you should be able to see the options at the checkout stage for paying as a guest in addition to being registered and logged in.

I feel hungry now :)

steve2

Reaction score
I buy and sell through Ebay, never had a problem, yet. I do it for convenience. I will always check prices before buying and do the same with Amazon always remember to look at postage costs.
I now never buy major items of tackle from the local tackle shop because like others have said they are now mostly carp tackle shops.
If you want to see markups on prices try buying and selling at an auction. What with listing fees, buyers fees, sellers fees, plus VAT.

laguna

Reaction score
It's on it's way mate.

Just one thing...

I think you might have to wait until their opening times to be able to start putting an order together but you should be able to see the options at the checkout stage for paying as a guest in addition to being registered and logged in.

I feel hungry now :)

Munchin gracias! :D

---------- Post added at 17:01 ---------- Previous post was at 16:40 ----------

A case in point regards eBay prices v Websites... I was looking to buy some small clip swivels over the weekend for changing hook links and found them on ebay at £2.99 for a packet of 6 which I thought was a bit much (Yorkshire tendencies and all that). So I looked online and came across these https://hls-products.com/swivels/55-micro-clip-swivel-size-8-uk-size-20.html#/number_in_pack-25
I bought the small ones (UK size 20) which I like to use for float fishing £4.80 for 25 with free post :w

Okay, I spent far too much I know but what the hell! ;)

robtherake

Reaction score
Munchin gracias! :D

---------- Post added at 17:01 ---------- Previous post was at 16:40 ----------

A case in point regards eBay prices v Websites... I was looking to buy some small clip swivels over the weekend for changing hook links and found them on ebay at £2.99 for a packet of 6 which I thought was a bit much (Yorkshire tendencies and all that). So I looked online and came across these https://hls-products.com/swivels/55-micro-clip-swivel-size-8-uk-size-20.html#/number_in_pack-25
I bought the small ones (UK size 20) which I like to use for float fishing £4.80 for 25 with free post :w

Okay, I spent far too much I know but what the hell! ;)

I had a similar experience with the Cralusso Fine Match quick change swivels, which are excellent for floatfishing, with the smallest size being equivalent in weight to a number 10 shot and the largest equalling a number 8. The biggest drawback is the price, at a whopping £4.50 for 10. I found a similar product on Ebay, shipped direct from China, at just a few quid for a hundred. They're a wee bit bigger and aren't blued but the fish don't seem to mind. Incidentally, the vendor seems to have wised-up, with the same product now £2.99 for 10 - not quite the same bargain and no longer an acceptably cheap alternative. :(

thecrow

Reaction score
https://hls-products.com/swivels/55-...ber_in_pack-25
I bought the small ones (UK size 20) which I like to use for float fishing £4.80 for 25 with free post

Same deal from the same seller on E bay, I buy all my swivels from e bay same with my beads, pva and other small bits at a fraction of tackle manufacturer prices latest bits 50 glowsticks for £1.78 post free and 20 metres of pva string £0.99 post free.

It surprises me that local small tackle shops don't purchase these things bag them up and sell them unless that is the profit on named stuff is big enough not to bother.

Same swivel double the quantity for 19 pence more post free 152173438909 is the number

Last edited:

theartist

Reaction score
A few years ago Ebay used to be a great place to sell then a bunch of idiots stormed the building and started randomly hitting keys - at least that's the way it seems to most sellers on there.

The latest email from yesterday is indicating you'll get even less visibility unless you comply with their next set of requirements. Plus a lot of the categories are being changed/removed again soon. Once again you have to change everything.

Ebay is becoming just a vehicle for huge online retailers and those who lave smaller numbers of listings are finding it harder all the time to compete with high street shops who have their own page and the huge Chinese companies with their bulk listings. It pi55es me off that I work so damn hard yet i'm not selling as much as I did a few years back when I was only doing it part time.

lambert1

Reaction score
[

Ebay is becoming just a vehicle for huge online retailers .

That is how it appears to me these days with much fewer individual sellers. Don't get me started on Chinese sellers:mad:

thecrow

Reaction score
Don't get me started on Chinese sellers

Go on then I will get you going on Chinese sellers :)

Buy from them on e bay at very low prices or pay over the odds for the same thing in a different packet from a shop in this country, I know which I prefer to do and as much as I buy stuff from a tackle shop I wont be ripped off by tackle brands that package stuff in their own branded packaging and charge stupid prices for it when the likelihood is that its come from China.

Its a sad fact that the fishing tackle industry in this country has next to disappeared compared to what it was, most of what comes into this country and gets sold in tackle shops is from China so whether an angler likes it or not they are buying stuff that has come from China, buying from them direct cuts out the tackle brands and their massive mark ups. Takes a little while to arrive on your doorstep but a bit of forward planning goes a long way.

theartist

Reaction score
Is it fishing stuff you sell Rob?

Sort of, If you call prints of fish drawings fishing stuff, hence the avatar and the username. Theartist isn't referring to the way I fish although I have got hooking trees down to an artform :eek: I'm proud to be the only artist on Ebay who has Carp, Coarse, Game and Sea fishing sections although that counts for nothing when the art market is flooded with printed canvasses from China.