Eel Thread

amos keato

Reaction score
How heavy do you guys go with rods and lines when targeting eels?

Would 1.5lb TC Avon rods and 10lb mono main line be up to the job?
Or would I be better off using my pike gear (3lb rods / 40lb braid)?

1.5 TC sounds under-gunned, but if the rods are pretty stiff and not the type that bend right through to the butt, they might be ok.
(I started eeling with a pair of 1.75 TC "through action" avon style rods & anything over a pound and a half was quite uncontrollable.)

Trying to draw the tail of the eel over the landing net, with the rod pointed backwards over a shoulder, flopping from left to right :eek:mg:

The 3lb TC pike rods will make an easier job of landing them.
Possibly over-gunned, might take the fun out of it a bit & if too stiff, you might find yourself wishing for some cushioning against the head-shakes if you hook a good one!

B

binka

I've got a few rods which I think I can use but after much thought and an initial erring on the lighter side I've decided to go with the 2.75lb deadbait rods.

They're a through action but need some proper oomph to hit the bottom third, with a softish tip for casting deads and I don't think they will be far off just right if I am lucky enough to hook a decent eel at a time when I'm actually fishing for one.

Hence noticing and deciding to replace the cracked butt ring liner when checking 'em over earlier in preparation for the overnighter this weekend :eek:mg:

skov

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I think I'll go with the pike gear (whilst trying to resist buying yet another set of rods!)

iain t

Reaction score
Over the last 40 odd years I've been targeting Chub, Barbel and Eels i have never used an Avon rod rated over 1.5Tc. With the average Eel weight being 3 to 6 lb in the UK these days i found the rods always suited to the job perfectly. Though action with the strength lower down suits the way the Eel wiggles and fights. You don't want or need a stiff rod.
The largest I've caught was 10.4oz many many years ago when there was a large population. Since then the largest I've landed was 5.8oz. These were both caught on Avon rods. If i can catch a 23lb wild Carp on a 1.25 Avon then a 6lb Eel isn't going to stress the rod. It's all down to 50 years experience and knowing how to play the fish properly.

Last edited:

smudger172

Reaction score
[QUOTE=iain t If i can catch a 23lb wild Carp on a 1.25 Avon

I didn't realize wildies grew that big.

john step

Reaction score
Steve2, Crow and whoever is interested.

That tiger tail wire came today. It is a plastic coated wire. I tested it and it broke at 10 pound.
It is fairly flexible.
I haven't the means to test the diameter but I would guess its about the same as some pike trace wire which would have a far greater breaking strain.

It is certainly not like Tress which appears to be like carp braid but is as good as wire for pike traces. In fact a trace of Tress outlasts a wire trace any time.

I used Tress last winter for pike and zander and will continue to use it as its so good. In fact very good although expensive.

So the tiger wire gets the thumb down from me. Sorry Steve its nothing like Tress.

It was worth the experiment though as if you don't try something you would never know:)

smudger172

Reaction score

That tiger tail wire came today. It is a plastic coated wire. I tested it and it broke at 10 pound.
It is fairly flexible.
I haven't the means to test the diameter but I would guess its about the same as some pike trace wire which would have a far greater breaking strain.

It is certainly not like Tress which appears to be like carp braid but is as good as wire for pike traces. In fact a trace of Tress outlasts a wire trace any time.

I used Tress last winter for pike and zander and will continue to use it as its so good. In fact very good although expensive.

John. can you please let me know who sells this Tress wire as i can not find it anywhere.. Thanks Andy

john step

Reaction score

It is fairly flexible.

John. can you please let me know who sells this Tress wire as i can not find it anywhere.. Thanks Andy

Andy. Look up Pecheur.com (Its actually part of a bigger sports outlet. Elderly moment...the name escapes me :eek:mg:)

Search their website for Tress inox.
This appears to be a new variant of the same stuff. Last winter they had a sale of the old named stock but looking at the website its the same pike suitable stuff. There are various bs but the 2 heavier are more suited to UK use. It comes from France. I stocked up before we leave the EU!
The postage is quite hefty if you order just one item.

Andy its not wire but a braided material with wire within it.

I would not willingly go back to wire now I have used this stuff.
I use a method of making traces I learned from Youtube.
There are a few videos on there about the braid.

Basically you have a length of the material to which you tie a loop at each end with a figure of 8 knot.
This means you can put the loop and fold back over a treble, a single, the end swivel or make a 2 hook trace. You just need a few of these loop to loop lengths with you and can add or change hook sizes or combinations at will very quickly on the bank.

If thats as clear as mud just have a look at the Youtube videos. Quite a revelation.

Hope that helps.

naxian62

Reaction score
Said I'd report back after I'd caught another fish but that may take some time.....!
Anyway the Beadalon 49 strand plastic coated arrived and I promptly made up a trace. And just like John with his "tiger tail" I'm not impressed. Appears to be thicker than stated diameter and no where near as supple/flexible as the soft strand I'm using. It snapped at about 8-9lb. Thumbs down, avoid lads.

Nobby C (ACA)

Reaction score
Use barbless circle hooks and a quicksilver trace. 90% of my captures last year were lip hooked using this set up. Don't strike,lift the rod and wind slowly until you get the bend in the rod telling you its fish on.

Philip

Reaction score
How slowly do Eels grow?

I recall an article by the late John Sidley, I cant recall every detail but the jist was that he described how he caught a 7lb Eel in his early days and decided he wanted to get it stuffed as a trophy. So he killed it and gave it to a mate of his who worked I think at Birmingham university to get it setup. Out of interest his mate managed to do an ageing of the Eel and informed him it was over 60 years old. John was so distressed by this information he vowed never to kill another Eel and started his whole "put Eels back" movement.

I think he also mentioned even a 2lb Eel can be over 30 years old.

shane99

Reaction score
I recall an article by the late John Sidley, I cant recall every detail but the jist was that he described how he caught a 7lb Eel in his early days and decided he wanted to get it stuffed as a trophy. So he killed it and gave it to a mate of his who worked I think at Birmingham university to get it setup. Out of interest his mate managed to do an ageing of the Eel and informed him it was over 60 years old. John was so distressed by this information he vowed never to kill another Eel and started his whole "put Eels back" movement.

I think he also mentioned even a 2lb Eel can be over 30 years old.

I now have a massive respect for any eel after finding out just how old they can be & the journey they go through.

dearne_chub

Reaction score
Sorry in advance for these questions but having never fished for Eel I'm quite lost.

1. What are the best conditions for Eel (weather and river conditions)?

2. What's the best rig for targeting Eels on a river?

Thanks in advance. Catching my first on Friday has really got me slightly obsessed.

naxian62

Reaction score
Hi Dearne C, go on the NAC's site and take at the articles section. Tons of info there.
Oh, and a good dose of calm helps... good luck.

dearne_chub

Reaction score
Hi Dearne C, go on the NAC's site and take at the articles section. Tons of info there.
Oh, and a good dose of calm helps... good luck.

Thanks Nax, will have a look. I know that some anglers like to keep their bale arm open but surely I would have closed on a river though right?

maurice walsh

Reaction score
i gave a little bit of what i learned about eel fishing on another tread...if is any help to you that missed it ,................................................. ................................;;;;;; i give another vote for eel fishing.... to answer the question above...here in the land of eternal wind n rain, we have an old eel fishery that used to catch eels for the english/french/german food markets but is now used for conservation, the eels are netted and moved past parteen weir, as theres no natural path to the river due to the weir, to toddle off to the saragasso sea for a bit or whatever eels do, the optimum time for netting eels in big numbers on the move and ergo feeding hard is from november to march, water temp , unless the river is very shallow wont factor into feeding habits as at this time of year they are bulking up for the orgy and also need energy to move as they cant/dont store fat well, so will feed often while on the move, land locked eels will get the call also but cant go anywhere but round in circles in the water their in, thus expending energy and needing to feed often, day n night, also as an avid eel fan(my biggest is 8lb4oz caught on a small perch deadbait in low flood conditions in the middle of a bitterly cold early january ) if the day/evening(dont bother with night fishing, ) is a bit blustry/blowy/bit of a chop on the water, all the better!!! use small fresh , (i cant stress fresh enough,thawed from frozen doesn't work)deadbaits for said horny eels!! or blood marinated thick wool works well, and deadbaits keep the bootlaces at bay, and dont forget , eels can swim backwards with the same power as forwards, sometimes the fight can be likened to a dog pulling back on a rope/chew toy, makes for interesting fishing, here ended my tuppence worth ..... ask away if you want more info, as for a rig, i use running ledger or running ledger with split bung and at the working end, short , coated , soft/pliable traces with big single hooks threaded tru the tail of the deadbait and into the chin, inside to out, pulled tight so the point is facing backwards (pointed to the tail), from first knock to strike should be no longer than a few seconds as eels will happily sit n eat their meal without moving off.... ask away and ill do my best to impart what info i can