Feature Finding with a Marker Float

B

Bully

A common mistake when you look at a mirror......

......or did I mirror a common mistake?

Ian Gemson

Reaction score
Thank you everyone for your constructive comments. I am sorry if I have missed some points out writting these kind of articles is a balance of key facts or wordy explanation and I wanted a simple easy to follow approach.

One question raised was what happens if I have three features in my swim ?. Well I would try and work out which one would giveme the best chance of a carp ?. However if you areable to use multiple rods I would simply but extra markers on my line with different colour pole elastic.

Once I have found a feature I like and I have marked up the braid marker line. I leave the float in the swim and cast an lead at it until I can get the lead to land next to the marker float. Then with the rod help vertically I wind in slowly until I can feel the tension of the lead. Then you slip the line under the line clip and reel in. Now cast again at your marker with just enough force to over cast. Once you have swept the rod forward and the lead is in flight inmediatly bring the rod to the vertical postion to cushion the cast . If you done it right the lead will land exactlynext to the float. Now mark up you carp rod line. Remmebering a far bank feature be it a tree or a light post somethingthat wont move and is visable at night you have the range and the direction sorted out.

Regarding distance logging I dont always try and recall a range of a swimI am fishing at byremembering the meterage.Once I have the range I clip the marker rod up and then when I have a clear bank put the marker rod on the floor with the bail arm open and walk off until I hit the line clip. Then I either use a tree or a bush close by and remmenber it as my range marker or I make a small wodden or stone marker that I will remmenber simple.

Many thanks

Regards

Ian G

Rob Thomas

Reaction score
Ian have you managed a sopley 20 yet mate?I'll be wending my way down there againsome time soonas could only manage a 15 last year but this years the year I have a feeling in my bones lol /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gifHightown for me this weekend if we dont get washed out .

Tight lines all,

Rob./forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

C

Cakey

this Sopley ??<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,40,0" width="425" height="350"><param name="src" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/p9OPEmLgOmw&feature=related" /><param name="width" value="425" /><param name="height" value="350" /><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://www.youtube.com/v/p9OPEmLgOmw&feature=related" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Rob Thomas

Reaction score
Cakey yep thats it, when was that mate?Just praying it doesn't do the same this weekend!/forum/smilies/i_dont_know_smiley.gifLets hope not or i'll find out whether my new bivvy is completely waterproof as it says lol /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

Rob./forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

C

Cakey

sorry mate its not me so I dont know when it was.....but I was thinking of having a go soon

Fruitbat

Reaction score
Has anybody tried using a Smartcast and the line counter?

Could one then cast out, observe the screen whilst winding back and note multiple features on the retrieve on a map (or printout from live local or Google Earth).

Hey, I can see the market for a rod mounted damped compass to record the direction too. Another gismo for tackle tarts! /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Serious question though are the new Smarctast units any good?