Feeder Rods

David Naylor 3

Reaction score
Hi guys n gals... i'm after some advice on what feeder rods to look out for.
The style of fishing that I have doing of late involves long distance casting, sometimes with heavy feeders. I mainly fish for Tench, Bream, Chub and Carp.
I also fish the local River and during the winter the flow can become quit strong.
My current Feeder rod is really only for light weight fishing and I find it far to whippy and bendy for what I need.
I'm after a stonger rod that is capable of casting a good 80m and also one that wont bend double when there is a strong flow on the river.
Any recomendations?
Thanks, Dave

Joskin

Reaction score
Drennan series 7 competition feeder.

I picked one up on ebay last year for just ?50 brand new and I use it mainly in Ireland for chucking heavy feeders at quite long range and fequently strong side winds.

David Robichaud 2

Reaction score
I have used the Drennan Series 7 for the last few months and it is a tremendous rod. Responsive , strength in the right places and capable of chucking a large feeder 90 yds. Go for it David its the best.

Chris Elwis999

Reaction score
I have just bought a 12 foot matchtek heavy feeder road it has two tips and handles reel lines from three to eight pounds, hooklinks from three to seven pounds and can cast weights upto six ounces it is ideal for big river feeder or method fishing. Matchtek is made by Map which is part of Leeda and it retails for ?99.99 but heres the good part, because Map are pushing next years model you can pick it up a lot cheaper, I paid ?49.00 for mine and for that sort of money you are getting a lot of rod for your money.

Tony Fisher

Reaction score
I thought the difference between a float rod and a feeder rod was just a gimmick,but after trying a swimfeeder for the first time yesterday i know the difference.My rod(argos starter rod) was bent as if i had a fish on it when all i had was the swimfeeder.Lad at work who has progressed to the pole has a couple of rods for sale,one float rod and a feeder rod,i really enjoy float fishing without feeder,but would like to try the feeder now and then,so if i choose the feeder rod,will it be ok for my just float fishing.Didn't have a bite swimfeeding yesterday and left a bit miffed and soaked to the bone,seems i just got into fishing at the wrong end of the year.

I

Ian Cloke

Tony, I think you've already answered your own question matey:-
"I thought the difference between a float rod and a feeder rod was just a gimmick,but after trying a swimfeeder for the first time yesterday i know the difference"

Having said that, some rods come with a dual tip/top section. Where you can use the rod for either float or feeder fishing, by simply changing the top section. I think that the John Wilson Avon rod is one such type ;-)

Red6

Reaction score
Dave,

I tend to agree with the comments made by Ian C in respect of a multi purpose setup and as a beginner you cannot go far wrong with the John Wilson range.

However, if you did want to go for a reasonably priced feeder rod, I would suggest you have a look at the Shimano range. I have a Hyperloop which doesn't see the light of day much now, but has given me good service with double figure Bream and Carp on the RMC complexes (closed season fihing when I get withdrawl symptoms). For 30 odd quid, they are a good deal and will launch a feeder as far as you can chuck it and have a good responsize series of tips and good power in the middle and butt sections.

Ian

B

Benjimima

tf gear grunt 2 carp feeder rod a brilliant rod that casts heavy feeders long distances and handles big carp comfortably!!! i strongly recomend it!!!

Monty S

Reaction score
I've had the shimano hyperloop off http://www.wmac.co.uk its a great rod at the price they are selling at I got it with the shimano hyperloop 4000FA Reel for less then ?50.00 including delivery