First mirrors and leathers

R

Roto Fryer

I hope we don't have to wait another 4 years for some further info.

By the way, nice books Kevin.

C

Cakey

who is Kevin Clifford anyway

I will expect an answer just after the Olympics in 2012

Kevin Clifford 2

Reaction score
Ron,

I don't think there has been "probably absolutely" a mix up between 1896 and 1899. Although the Dutch N. H. began in 1899 with their import of 12 brood fish, their first fingerlings from these were not available until 1900. I think most of these, just over 4,000, stayed in Holland in any event.

In the book 'A Complete Guide to Freshwater Fishes of South Africa' by Paul Skelton it states that "Early writings indicate that carp were introduced to South Africa in the 1700s, and several importations are reported from the 1800s". Paul Skelton unfortunately doesn't quote references for his statements.

A scientific paper 'Introduction and present status of exotic carp in Africa' by J. Moreau and B. Costa-Pierce states, in the section on South Africa, that "In September 1859, Mr C.A. Fairbridge of Cape Town introduced six Cyprinus carpio from England as ornamental fish for angling. A further consignement was imported by The Cape Agricultural Department in 1896." These fish came from Bavaria, in the Federal Republic of Germany - not Holland. References, as would be expected in a scientific paper, are quoted.

Is this is where your 1896 comes from Ron?

The Food & Agriculture Organisation of the United Nations has the first introduction of carp into South Africa as 1859 (presumably the six fish from the UK).

Hopes this helps refresh your memory, Ron (which is a poor tool for retaining facts in my opinion!).

Kevin

C

Cakey

I purchased "A HISTORY OF CARP FISHING "because the spinners lake is it

Im sure I have three books with Kevin Clifford on the covers

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Kevin,

I got the story of the importation of carp to SA from that book by Rex Jubb. I left it with a friend of mine who I am sure will be able to find out the very words I was referring to.

The importation of the first carp to SA in the 18th century probably makes sense. About that time the French Hugenots arrived bringing with them the art of viticulture. The huge wine farms all had dams which were stocked with fish. Some of them must have been carp to supplement the diet of the Hottentot workers.

In fact in 1982, I chased the story of a wine farm in the Cape Province having a small dammed lake, about 3 acres, that contained a fewenormous carp. One was caught that was supposed to have weighed 40 kg. That's right - 40 kg.

I certainly found this dam, and I even obtained permission to fish it. But other than a few nice largemouth bass on lures, I caught no carp.

Yes 1896 does seem to stick in my head.

Maybe my friend Bill can come up with more accurate facts.