First outing on the tidal Trent

flightliner

Reaction score
How did it fish back then?
__________________[/quote
Its a long long story Jollyboy-- perhaps not one that many would really appreciate today. I,ve done a couple of slide shows that are what I suppose is the pioneering bit of the early days of Trent Barbelling in the late twentieth century, when at best you could expect a reasonable single figure fish up to the time when I/we were taking doubles with ease. For a number of years the river was still almost devoid of anglers.
It was never going to last tho but for about ten years after the match anglers had deserted it and the mindset of most bigfish anglers was that it was devoid of fish of any cosequence the river was almost like my own(at least it seemed that way), seeing another guy with tackle was an extremely rare sight.
All changed now tho, but I had the sheer joy of the place almost to myself for almost a full decade.

jollyboy

Reaction score
Had a better couple of evenings over the weekend with 7 fish out on the first session with the first fish within one min of the first cast.... nearly took me rod...pod the lot:eek: It gave me a right run around and turned out to be a fish of about 4.5lb...best fish of the session was just under 8lb... Second session 4 fish came out smallest was a tad under 6lb best was 9lb 8 oz Lost 1 decent fish at the net and got smashed by another (My fault as the drag was all wrong and I couldn't flick the anti-rewind quick enough)

Just getting to grip and understanding this river better now

flightliner

Reaction score
Had a better couple of evenings over the weekend with 7 fish out on the first session with the first fish within one min of the first cast.... nearly took me rod...pod the lot It gave me a right run around and turned out to be a fish of about 4.5lb...best fish of the session was just under 8lb... Second session 4 fish came out smallest was a tad under 6lb best was 9lb 8 oz Lost 1 decent fish at the net and got smashed by another (My fault as the drag was all wrong and I couldn't flick the anti-rewind quick enough)

Just getting to grip and understanding this river better now

JB, over the weekend the river was building up to some of the biggest tides of the year which may explain why you did so well what with the river being so low and clear of late. It peaked on monday, tuesday and today before it starts to fall back. I was on the river myself and had one of the best catches I,ve had for several years.

jollyboy

Reaction score
JB, over the weekend the river was building up to some of the biggest tides of the year which may explain why you did so well what with the river being so low and clear of late. It peaked on monday, tuesday and today before it starts to fall back. I was on the river myself and had one of the best catches I,ve had for several years.

Great stuff...I know of a chap that had a double hookup and landed both fish for a total of 21lb 13 oz:eek:

Last weekend was great on thr rivers but **** for caravanning:) don't think it stopped rainning from friday night to sat night