Fishery Bailiff. how dangerous is it today?

Dave Burr

Reaction score
The club in my instance merely stated that you "have to be in possession of a card to fish' which is ambiguous as I was in possession, I just didn't have it with me. It was, incidentally, the first and only time I was checked in many years of membership.

Also, if you know somebody has a ticket but insist on him getting it from his car then I suggest that you are being pedantic. Common sense is everything when enforcing regulations.:)

gentle

Reaction score
My local club DCAC has a lovely old feller called Tony who bailifs our brasside complex. Hes not an armed trojan warrior or ex para...that im aware of. hes just a sensible feller who is always polite and takes time to get to know each of us. What Tony has that a lot of bailifs dont is the respect of the clubs members. if anyone were to ever cause any mischeif to Tony then I would be confident that a few of the less polite club members would happily defend the man. I would.

I guess the point Im making is that all clubs should encourage the involvement of their memebrs and the bailifs should be able to manage their relationships with memebrs so that the community polices itself. If you feel ownership of a venue and you all work toward a common goal its very hard to let someone undo the acheivments your making.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The club in my instance merely stated that you "have to be in possession of a card to fish' which is ambiguous as I was in possession, I just didn't have it with me. It was, incidentally, the first and only time I was checked in many years of membership.

Also, if you know somebody has a ticket but insist on him getting it from his car then I suggest that you are being pedantic. Common sense is everything when enforcing regulations.:)

You obviously know full well your supposed to carry your card yet choose to leave it elswhere, in my books that's tekkin the mick ! How the hell's a bailiff to know your a member if you don't have the club card with you, anyone could just come out with "I've got one but it's at home", I don't think the other club members would be very happy with their bailiff if he just said ok and left it at that. You should be happy you bailiff's doing his job ! If I'm bailiffing and come across someone with no club card then they're leaving.....simples. That's the club rule! The only time I wouldn't move them from the water is if I know they have a card due to either knowing them or having seen their card sometime during that year.

The bad one

Reaction score
So are any of you guys that bailiff full time?

Nop voluntary!
Just got sick of people poaching a stretch of river I was paying for as a member. So decided to do something about it.
The job if you can call it that, is to check the cards of people fishing on the club's waters. And that's all without exception every time I'm out.
No card with you, you get the "common sense" approach of the two options.

So if I kick one member off who I don't know for not having his card with him, as the rules say, I can't because I know the next bloke not check his, and if he's not got it with him let it go. Because that's unfair and showing favour and double standards to the guy I know.

Far easier, less hassle to give each and everybody equitable treatment. Then those who may want to make mischief and there are some in this world that do, can't can they, because you've been fair and equitable to all! So if that's being pedantic so be it! But it fosters respect from members because they know you are fair and eqitable with ALL!

Last edited:

thx1138

Reaction score
You obviously know full well your supposed to carry your card yet choose to leave it elswhere, in my books that's tekkin the mick !

Although Dave might be accused of being mischievous, what he is saying is quite true. 'Possession' is a very ambigious word, and legal definitions vary wildly depending on the context.

I've seen rules like :
'members must carry cards with them at all times' (cards? what cards?playing cards? ..and at all times? what?.. when they're in the shower too?)

Most clubs use something along the lines of 'members must carry their current, paid-up membership card with them when fishing club waters or visiting club property' to make things clearer.

I always like the catch-all rules that say something like: "the club retains the right to revoke / refuse membership without need for explanation or recourse". there's justice for ya.:eek:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Although Dave might be accused of being mischievous, what he is saying is quite true. 'Possession' is a very ambigious word, and legal definitions vary wildly depending on the context.

Your talkin b0ll0cks, just being a plonker as you and everyone else knows what the context is. If you don't like your club rules don't join and try another club that doesn't bailiff it's waters, that way you don't need get a club book ...great stuff :rolleyes:

captainbarnacles

Reaction score
The rules of our club are quite clear, When your fishing club waters , you must be in possesion of your current membership card, If not you leave the water , if it becomes a reacuring problem , then you have a 1 month ban. As for other rules not obeyed. Rules are rules , thats why there written , for the good of the club and all its members. When you join the club , your given a rule book , well its not to wipe your bum on is it .As already stated i am a very steady guy and give people all the chances i can , until its proven to me that there taking the p**s , then i come down hard.If we dont do this then why are we bailifs in the first place . My aim is to be just one of the lads , but it is at times very hard for all to see this ,as you have to protect the club and its members and whats more important the fish. The last thing i want to be know as , as some bailifs in the club are called , hitler and i despise this kind of bailif , who think they own the club and all in it , there realy not bailifs at all , there just ego seekers. power mania. Not for me, the day i feel people think of me like that i,ll pack it in. Tight lines all.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
I'm glad some of you blokes are not traffic wardens! :)

If someone I know is a member vouches for another guy who also claims to be a member, that's good enough for me - even if neither has their card with them. My idea of fishing is that it's supposed to be about a brotherhood.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

If someone I know is a member vouches for another guy who also claims to be a member, that's good enough for me - even if neither has their card with them. My idea of fishing is that it's supposed to be about a brotherhood.

At the end of the day geoff it's just a case of common sense. At times rules can be bent slightly to concur with common sense.

Last edited:

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Yes. It can get daft otherwise. On another thread I mentioned the bailiff I fell out with when I was perch fishing once on a catfish lake - because the rule book said I needed a 50 inch landing net :) (Maybe he thought I meant Nile perch?).
I was using a lightweight baitcasting outfit.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Yes. It can get daft otherwise. On another thread I mentioned the bailiff I fell out with when I was perch fishing once on a catfish lake - because the rule book said I needed a 50 inch landing net :) (Maybe he thought I meant Nile perch?).
I was using a lightweight baitcasting outfit.

Yeah, he does sound a bit traffic warden type :D

The bad one

Reaction score

I've seen rules like :
'members must carry cards with them at all times' (cards? what cards?playing cards? ..and at all times? what?.. when they're in the shower too?)
I'd like to see you argue your smarty pants comments before the two very large Cheshire clubs committees when called before them.

Don't think your feet would touch the floor on the way out of the door or the clubs :D:D:D:eek:

---------- Post added at 00:26 ---------- Previous post was at 00:08 ----------

It's the work of the all those who do it voluntary why our clubs are very large, well run and with thousands of members. One with a waiting list of over 4 years to get in.
In that club's case it takes a very dim view of those that don't play by the rules as set down in the Club's membership card.

It knows for every one that doesn't play by those rules and are caught for it, there's another 50 potential members waiting to get in that will. So it doesn't have any truck with stroke puller ;)

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Quite right too.

I know of a similar circumstance where both paid up members committed the same offence under the rules, one was punished and the other let off.

The "baliffs" in this particular instance acting joinly at the time of the offence, took offence that their interpretation of the rules was over ruled, and threw their toys out of the pram.

All things must be seen to be equal amongst members.

Last edited:

guest61

Reaction score
I'd like to see you argue your smarty pants comments before the two very large Cheshire clubs committees when called before them.

I couldn't have put it better.

If you can organise you tackle, bait and get to the venue - you can also make sure that you have your card.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I do find this bit about cards very odd. I keep my club cards with my fishing licence - in fact so ephemeral is the current licence i need to keep it in a club card so that it doesn't disappear!! And before I ever go out fishing I check that I've got the cards. Easiest way I found..my artery forceps are attached to the "wallet" containing the cards.

Whilst I am extremely liberal in many things..think the card business is relatively straight forward...take it with you,,and check/make sure you do.......so I shouldn't have any problems when joining the new club after doing my 3 years of time...should I bad one???

thx1138

Reaction score

:D
oh i'd expect they'd kick me hard in my smarty pants yes, although clearly i was being hyphothetical, trying to demonstrate that lots of club rules are a bit ambiguous. :wh

@tigger - yes i probably am talking b0llocks.. arent we all here?

To be fair, I've been in breach of the rule myself. I once drove 65 miles to fish a stretch of river, only to find that when I got on the bank, I'd left my licence wallet (rod licence and club cards) in another fishing bag. :eek: In this instance the bailiff took pity on me, because he knew me anyway and had seen my card before.

What would you guys do in this circumstance.. pack up and go home, or grovel?

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
:D
oh i'd expect they'd kick me hard in my smarty pants yes, although clearly i was being hyphothetical, trying to demonstrate that lots of club rules are a bit ambiguous. :wh

@tigger - yes i probably am talking b0llocks.. arent we all here?

To be fair, I've been in breach of the rule myself. I once drove 65 miles to fish a stretch of river, only to find that when I got on the bank, I'd left my licence wallet (rod licence and club cards) in another fishing bag. :eek: In this instance the bailiff took pity on me, because he knew me anyway and had seen my card before.

What would you guys do in this circumstance.. pack up and go home, or grovel?

Yeah, I suppose we are all talking b0llocks ....but you more than most ;):D

Obviously in the circumstance you describe when you had travelled a long distance (and the bailiff knew you had a ticket anyway) then personally I would have used common sense (as that bailiff did) and let you fish on. As I said earlier rules can be bent a little under certain circumstances.