fishing in germany

B

BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester

Amazing that Budgie.
Not as far away as yours but I was on this National match at the weekend. When one of the other stewards said, how's it going Baz? in a normal voice.
About half an hour later, one of the competitors from Kent who must have heard the other steward speak my name beckonned me to him and said, are you Baz off Fishing Magic? Haahahahaaaa. I thought it was really funny.
Fame at last.
He said he would come on for a chat sometime.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Ron, it was not all that long ago that Norway (and I think Sweden as well) also had a kill before weighing-in rule for all matches.

I well remember seeing the weigh-in at the first match I watched where the dead fish were all piled into a large trench at the end and covered over.

The 'rule' changed as Coarse fishing became more organised and more international with the advent of the NMU. In addition the growth of the coarse fishing 'boom' in the early 90's saw many local clubs being formed as the Norwegians began to forsake their traditional Sea and Game fishing for Coarse.

David Craine

Reaction score
In 1972 I was a Soldier,stationed in Berlin, long before the wall came down, the fishing there was superb, there were lots of different waters, lakes, river systems, and drains, all fish were returned,the Berliners had a Paranoia about another blockade,the fish were considered to be a food source in a time of emergency.Going off subject a bit, I remember that opposite the "Toc H" shop there was a small lake that was full of Carp, the owner had fitted a self feeder that he filled with mashed bread every day I can only describe it as a type of galvanised dustbin,the bottom half was sunk in the water, with a sort of release mechanism on the bottom.The Carp I believe would sense the vibrations of the lid coming off,when it was being filled and home in on the dustbin, when the bin was nudged by the Carp, it would release some bread into the water and the carp would go bonkers for it, the water would literally "boil" for minuites at a time.The Carp were big too, many in the 15 - 20lb category,I used to call them "Pavlovs Carp" as they were so predictable.I wonder if anybody on this site was in Berlin at that time?

A

adriano wilson

not many lads are left now who would remenber Berlin,most soliders are now fallingbostel,hameln,paderborn (super garrison)large german brit club,also german expat club,and me still serving after 27 years,also JHQ near hollandgood fishing never been their!!my next match against german team from rechlinghausen ,team comp on our own lakes,about 30 - 35 pegs 20kg carp - 3-4 kg bream ,aloso large 1.5kg roach good day out, menbers only,each menber has 10 day tickets,not allowed to kill fish!! wunder bar!!

B

BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester

Do they allow drinking on the banks Adriano?

B

Budgie Burgess

"Do they allow drinking on the banks?" Baz all of the army matchs I used to fish were taken quite seriously.Most of the ones hosted by the local german club were to.....and then there were the local clubs "family" matchs!

These were inevitably held on a small still water with BBQ's every couple of pegs and more crates of beer than you have ever seen!It was nigh on impossible to fish properly as soon as you had an empty hand a beer would be thrust in it!

More of a social get together than a proper match and eveyone seemed to win a prize! great fun and a good way for the two nationalities to mix.

A

adriano wilson

hit it on the nail!!good way to practice your german.beer is a must on the long matches 8-12Hrs.plus a good BBQ.

phil rowan

Reaction score
Im in germany now and in a lot of places they seem to be mellowing out. Where we are, near Celle, we can but a year ticket for the river Aller, and we are left alone to fish as we please. There are also a few syndicate waters that are fished to british standards, plus the army has its own lake near Bergan.

Claudia Crowther

Reaction score
Arrg too much talk about germany on this thread

Habt ihr denn nichts besseres zu tun? Geht lieber angeln...haha

I remember my very first fishing experience, was back in germany early nineties....the ex took me to a pond in the camp, stuffed a whip in to my hand and left me to it.
That day he wished me to hell lol, as I caught more fish than he did.

I never really got in to fishing then, now I could kill myself, as I feel I missed out of the pleasure of fishing for many years.