Fishing off the bottom?

David Rogers 3

Reaction score
What is a good way to mark the depth on the rod? I was thinking of an elastic band? Don't want to use any kind of permanent marker.

I usually just nick the hook into the hook-keeper (or bottom ring) and count the number of rings to the bottom of the float. Accurate enough most of the time, if you don't mind having to sometimes think in terms of 3-and-a-half rings!

john step

Reaction score
I usually just nick the hook into the hook-keeper (or bottom ring) and count the number of rings to the bottom of the float. Accurate enough most of the time, if you don't mind having to sometimes think in terms of 3-and-a-half rings!

Exactly what I do.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
What is a good way to mark the depth on the rod? I was thinking of an elastic band? Don't want to use any kind of permanent marker.

A tiny dot of Snopake works well and can be easily removed if required, great for float tips too.
image.jpeg

wetthrough

Reaction score
Insulating tape is what I used to use but it's a bit tricky if it's raining. The tape gets wet, the rod gets wet and your hands are always wet. It just makes it more difficult to get the tape to stick. When it's dry it sticks like the proverbial and I get a bit concerned about it pulling the finish off though it's never happened. If you're on a running line and it starts peeling off at all the line can get caught on it. I used a 1/8" square to minimize problems.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
correction fluid every time, and take a fine biro to put depth on it ie 4 for four foot deep, you could end up with a few swims on the go, also mark the end section of your pole where you hold it, that way when you ship back out you will be in the same spot over your feed, or if fishing full length see where you hand is in relation to the graphics.