Fishing red snappers

Nav56

Reaction score
Hi everyone...anyone could kindly advise me as to what boat baitcaster rod and reel you would recommend for fishing snappers at depth of at least 25 M with water current requiring at least 50 g lure weight..intend to fish abroad in Mauritius..thk you

mikench

Reaction score
I would ask somebody in Mauritius who would likely know. Your tour operator or boat skipper for example. If you are taking your own tackle and are limited to one rod and reel err on the side of strength as little finesse will be involved. I doubt there is anybody on this UK forum who would know. If you are using their gear then you alone can be the judge of its adequacy or not. I have fished in the gulf and the reels were cheap and nasty, with inadequately loaded spools of mono like tow rope. Red snapper are usually between 2 to 4 lb but can grow to 50lb .

Nav56

Reaction score
I would ask somebody in Mauritius who would likely know. Your tour operator or boat skipper for example. If you are taking your own tackle and are limited to one rod and reel err on the side of strength as little finesse will be involved. I doubt there is anybody on this UK forum who would know. If you are using their gear then you alone can be the judge of its adequacy or not. I have fished in the gulf and the reels were cheap and nasty, with inadequately loaded spools of mono like tow rope. Red snapper are usually between 2 to 4 lb but can grow to 50lb .
I intend to buy my own reels and rods from here as I do spend at least 4 months there every year. I use a family boat normally and we use our own gears. Thank you for your advice.

mikench

Reaction score
Have a look at Shimano , Daiwa ( Tatulas are good) or Abu baitcasters and Savage gear lure rods with a casting weight at or above your requirements.

Here is a link to a site selling this kind of gear.