Fishing 'wild' lakes?

john step

Reaction score
Both good points imo. What constitutes “wild” fishing will always be subjective and could even apply to angling on an inner city canal depending on how you look at it.

as the most likly thing to be seen soaring overhead there is a jumbo jet.:)

Or a Typhoon or AWAK in these nparts.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I have found a few places that I think the fish are wild. Some marsh waters, a couple of small unfashionable rivers where to my knowledge no stocking has taking place; a small stream that gets overgrown in the summer that very few people fish, might see one or two anglers all summer. The surroundings and bird life are pretty good as well. And would I know the difference between a fish that was stocked or was the off spring of a stocked fish if that was the case!!! I think you just have to have a good look round and there maybe some wild or wildish fishing on offer.
I found these by looking over an ordinance map and investigating or just stopping in the car and having a good look or a walk followed by inquiries; sometimes just asking local anglers and investigating waters they dismiss as no good and not worth the trouble!! thats a good sign if ever there was one, clubs not interested, might be free, probably never been stocked and locals never bother with it. Lo and behold a gem all to yourself. So it doesn't hold double this or treble that and 2lb+roach but that little stream is the best 1lb+ roach water I ever found and totally wild.

Last edited:

john r stockburn

Reaction score
just goes to show how livid something can be when it is caught "wild",............bet he was furious at first