Float adaptor recommendation??

Comfortably_Numb

Reaction score
Hi folks .... What is the best clip on float adaptor available for general "silvers" waggler fishing with 3-4lb mainline??

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I use the Drennan 'swivel float attachment' which are a silicone tube with a swivel in one end. Preston do a 'waggler link swivel' which can be used for feeders as well as wagglers.

Comfortably_Numb

Reaction score
I use the Drennan 'swivel float attachment' which are a silicone tube with a swivel in one end. Preston do a 'waggler link swivel' which can be used for feeders as well as wagglers.

Would you say the the silicone version strong enough for a Drennan loaded waggler??

wetthrough

Reaction score
I use these Guru Waggler Adaptor had a few of the silicone type fail on me since using loaded floats. Not all floats have an eye though so you either have to make an eye or use the silicone type.

peterjg

Reaction score
I make my own using a size 8 swivel pushed into an appropriate piece of silicon tubing. The protubing eye of the swivel is gently squeezed with pliers so that the reel line passes through but the eye will now stop a slider float knot. Dead easy to make, they are used for all wagglers whether sliding or not.

Philip

Reaction score
Yes I usually end up making my own as well as you can basically tailor it to any size float you want. Just pick the appropriate size tubing and swivel. Push the swivel in one end ...away you go..

I am not a huge fan of the sort of one peice all silicon adapters that dont have a swiwel so dont slide on the line. If you intend to lock your float in one place with shot on each side then that ok but fishing sliders for example they are useless as they dont slide well enough on the line.

Another little tip about adaptors that I picked up from a Dave Coster cartoon strip in the Mail (remeber those?) was to always leave a litte free gap between the float and the swivel ...so basically dont push the float 100% of the way into the adaptor, leave a small gap to enable it to fold/bend, this means the float can fold over on the strike so your strike is more direct to the hook rather than "through" the float which can dampen it. This can make a difference especially if your fishing for example a slider in deep water.

Last edited:

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I invariably use the all silicon Drennan type adaptor and find them very good. I can see where Philip is coming from, but I don't have any problem with making adjustment to depth by either sliding the adaptor up the line or removing the male end from the female for bigger adjustments. If I slide I always use saliva to do so and can honestly say I haven't had a problem in so doing, and this is on 2lb bs line.

Only my opinion, but I find using shot to secure the float more likely, or as likely to damage the line particularly when changing depth many times over a given period, which is what I tend to do when searching for roach at many different levels. I just feel that opening and closing the shot might well cause greater line damage?? We all have our own take on things.....

Regarding the Drennan silicon adaptors; As you know the adaptor 'folds' on the strike. Again in my opinion, and although the actual 'folding' section is mighty thin, I sometimes think it is still too stiff and doesn't fold quickly enough. To this end I am looking at an alternative where the 'folding' section is made from very thin chord (and I mean very thin!) which, on the face of it is far more flexible.

Many years ago (mid 80's) I was given some floats in Korea which had a short plastic peg joined to the base of the float with fine 'chord' and this was truly flexible. The peg was pushed into silicon tubing on the line (just as the Drennan one is) and it worked beautifully. Its downside was the chord had (imho) limited life, BUT it did work very well!!

As I say, I'm experimenting with chord type material and the fixing of it to the actual float and the peg, but this is not a simple matter and may well turn out to be its nemesis......................

Anyway, trials on the cards quite soon!

ps It goes without saying I only use the Drennan adaptors for close in work or a rod or two at most. Any further and I use the 'Crabtree' method..................

Last edited:

daniel121

Reaction score
I use a size 10 Preston link swivel on heavy floats for slivers, I do this not only too act as an adaptor but to help the float 'fold' so I get a more direct strike contact to the fish. I've done this for years I think it helps hook more fish.

For small light waggler I use the Drennan silicon adaptors as other members have recommended above.

barbelboi

Reaction score
but I find using shot to secure the float more likely, or as likely to damage the line particularly when changing depth many times over a given period, which is what I tend to do when searching for roach at many different levels. I just feel that opening and closing the shot might well cause greater line damage?? We all have our own take on things.....

Something like THIS will secure the float without causing abrasion to the line when moving for depth change....