Float making.

purplepeanut007

Reaction score
A Quartet Of Stained Trotters

Fresh off the turner is this quartet of trotters,
Two Shallow Water Stick Floats & Two Roach Avons.

Click the blog link for all the pics

20200224_200236.jpg

20200223_231828.jpg

20200224_224356.jpg

And yes, they do work.... :)

20191101_181123.jpg

Last edited:

bracket

Reaction score
During this spell of bad weather. I have been making some floats myself. I need some 4mm and 5mm float tips but haven't been able to locate a source of either bespoke plastic tips or cane dowel of the same or similar dimensions. Can any member recommend a supplier please? Thanks in anticipation. Pete.

Aknib

Reaction score
Here you go Pete, he's very reliable and I've used him for a few years now... The link will take you straight to the page you want if you don't mind using reed which make up the vast majority of mine but have a look at his other stuff too, there's plastic tips too and pretty much something for everything.

Sarkanda Reed - Keiths Fishing Tackle

Aknib

Reaction score
I've made no floats at all this Winter which is mainly down to the amount of overtime I've been doing at work although I am about to start a couple of sets of black tipped Avons followed by some sticks.

One thing I did treat myself to was an old float winder with the 'Shot & Caps' compartments in the middle, i've always liked them and I spotted one which still had the original divider albeit it had become detached and was just loose and rattling around in the central compartment.

It wasn't in the best of nick but looked much better for some tlc.

Before...

And after...

pichost

I'm not expecting the Avons to be anything elaborate but i'll post 'em up when they're done.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Steve, your on a slippery slope bud.....baskets, old float winders, canelooking rods :eek:mg:
You'll become a member of that nutters forum if you don't control yourself :wh

Last edited:

Aknib

Reaction score
You'll become a member of that nutters forum if you don't control yourself :wh

I've been a member in the past Ian but found it hard to contribute being as all my rods are carbon, I've not visited them for ages but suspect my membership has lapsed through inactivity.

They don't even allow carbon rods in any pictures but I suppose it's their ball so fair enough on the rules.

I did like them though, all very civil and some interesting stuff on there :)

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've been a member in the past Ian but found it hard to contribute being as all my rods are carbon, I've not visited them for ages but suspect my membership has lapsed through inactivity.

They don't even allow carbon rods in any pictures but I suppose it's their ball so fair enough on the rules.

I did like them though, all very civil and some interesting stuff on there :)

Some of 'em were al'reet but I think there were a lot of nutters also....bit like here really LOL.

Reaction score
Dont know what you mean,dribbling,burbling emoji here...

Aknib

Reaction score
I've just finished the first of what will be a set of four wire stemmed Avons, for some reason I find it hard to get enthusiastic about making black tipped floats but I've come up with something that I will enjoy using.

My usual plain style but a nice, big 'pudding bowl' tip for when I want to show a bit of shoulder whilst teasing those really big baits along the bottom...

I'll look forward to getting these finished and seeing them waltz their way down those turbulent swims this Summer.

nottskev

Reaction score
I've just finished the first of what will be a set of four wire stemmed Avons, for some reason I find it hard to get enthusiastic about making black tipped floats but I've come up with something that I will enjoy using.

My usual plain style but a nice, big 'pudding bowl' tip for when I want to show a bit of shoulder whilst teasing those really big baits along the bottom...

I'll look forward to getting these finished and seeing them waltz their way down those turbulent swims this Summer.

Nice float! What do you think the 4 will carry, shot-wise?

How have you managed to whip the wire - with no unsightly bulges where the whipping is pulled through?

Have you already got some rubbers that are a good fit for the wire? I've found it hard to find them, aside from skinny little pole float rubbers that are very fragile in use.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Another masterpiece there Steve!.....err, if yoy make too many gimmi a shout :wh.

Aknib

Reaction score
Nice float! What do you think the 4 will carry, shot-wise?

How have you managed to whip the wire - with no unsightly bulges where the whipping is pulled through?

Have you already got some rubbers that are a good fit for the wire? I've found it hard to find them, aside from skinny little pole float rubbers that are very fragile in use.

Cheers Kev.

They should carry around 3, 5, 7 and 9grm if what I've made before is anything to go by and will probably be used with olivettes as I did well with those last Autumn although it may or may not have been that which was the reason but I liked the simplicity.

The threads I use flatten down nicely when whipped quite tightly and don't tend to leave much if any trace of where the loose ends lay under the whippings.

I had a sort out of gear a few weeks ago and one of the things I seem to have an abundance of is float rubber, some very fine so i'll pop some in a pack and bring them for you the next time I see you.

purplepeanut007

Reaction score

Look the business my friend and love the colour scheme :)

Aknib

Reaction score
I had a few hours on the river today testing the new float, it worked...

Managed a few Barbel tripping it through a little undershotted and shoulders high with an 8grm olivette which also accounted for this one at 12lb 13ozs...

banking at pnc com

Far from ideal conditions with a strong, squally wind but I'm happy enough with how it performed.