Float Rods - Preston or Greys...or Other?

mchamish

Reaction score
Thanks for the wise words!

I'm going to have a look at the Preston on Saturday so I'll see what I think of it then.

Either way I'll have a new rod on Sunday to try out and I'll let you know how I get on.

greeny1321

Reaction score
I really strongly would say stay away from the Hardy mate - I work for a hardy dealer so I handle them every day and they are VERY overpriced - They'd be a great buy for £200-£250

A

alan whittington

One question Greeny,what rod isnt overpriced,i know where your coming from,but cost is definitely relative,i remember being told the same when i bought my normark titan 2000,expensive yes,but when compared to other rods being sold it wasnt,if diawa sell a rod for £200+,then normark wouldnt sell their rods for the same,it would be an insult,i havnt waggled a hardy float rod,but i hear only good about them,not so many others.If you have any contact with the trade,you will know the possible profit margins,buying quantity brings big rewards.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I've got both a Preston & a Hardy and IMO there is not much to choose between them in terms of performance. The Hardy just shades it for me but they are both terrific rods.

I got both for astonishingly good prices but the Hardy still cost twice as much as the Preston. Is it twice as good a rod ? No it isn't....I suppose that makes it overpriced but it doesn't make it a bad rod. Its a belter...as is the Preston.

The Hardy is a beautiful rod though...I fell for it & just had to have one but it doesn't do anything that the Preston can't.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Skippy,
I agree about the Hardy, but here is another spanner in the works.

The Free Spirit Hi S 13ft power float, not cheap but what a rod, as good as a Titan 2000, yes it is, i also have the 15ft version, and this is very slim for a 15 footer, plus you can use it trotting all day long, theres not many 15 foot rods you can say that about.

As for overpriced rods, they all are, so is all tackle IMO, but thats because i want it cheaper............:)

greeny1321

Reaction score
I see what you are saying but if you buy a decent 200 quid rod from anyone else and compare it to a hardy its hard to see where the other 150 quid is going. Like I said before they are lovely rods, but very expensive for what they are.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Skippy,
I agree about the Hardy, but here is another spanner in the works.

The Free Spirit Hi S 13ft power float, not cheap but what a rod, as good as a Titan 2000, yes it is, i also have the 15ft version, and this is very slim for a 15 footer, plus you can use it trotting all day long, theres not many 15 foot rods you can say that about.

As for overpriced rods, they all are, so is all tackle IMO, but thats because i want it cheaper............:)

I've got a Hi-S power float too albeit a 12 footer ! I really am a shocking tackle tart.

I dont get on with long rods...I think "float" rods tend to be 13 ft for a very good reason BUT having had a waggle of Ray's 15 footer [I'm going to regret saying that ] I may have to change my mind. Its as good a long rod as I've handled.

Richox12

Reaction score
IMHO Greys Rods = Overpriced and so is any rod of £250/300/350. They may be nice rods but from what I have seen and compared there ae nicer, lighter, better balanced rods for half the price.

Don't forget that with these you get a lifetime guarantee ( I think that's still aplicable) and it's definitely not for 'free'.

A

alan whittington

I've got a Hi-S power float too albeit a 12 footer ! I really am a shocking tackle tart.

I dont get on with long rods...I think "float" rods tend to be 13 ft for a very good reason BUT having had a waggle of Ray's 15 footer [I'm going to regret saying that ] I may have to change my mind. Its as good a long rod as I've handled.

Always have to bring your perversions in S-kippy,im sorry but it had to be done,lol.
Richox,i'd like you to name these better rods,for ive heard it all before,there certainly are NOT many,if any reasonably priced,well balanced float rods,if there were,me being a tight ba**ard,would not have spent my hard earned cash,the only thing i would say,all anglers have different tastes,i mean listening to Keith Arthur,Normark 2000 range rods are not that good,funny that,as my two are fetching more on ebay than i paid for them and one is one of the first produced.
Ray,a question,the free spirit float rods,arent they more powerful than the normarks,as you say though,quality is there,these rods feel like an extention of your arm,with the actions required for the job.

Last edited:

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Alan,

Yes the Free Spirit are more powerful, yet you can still fish right down to 12 oz hook links with no problem's, thats why i like the rods so much, but i also like the Titan.

mchamish

Reaction score
I guess my hesitation on getting the Hardy was due to me wondering how much of that £350 was for the name and the life time guarantee, and how much was for the actual rod. I even sent a message to the Hardy sales team to see if they could convince me that it was worth the money...unfortunately they didn't reply. Not that I can blame them, I was only going to buy one!

I've pretty much decided on the Preston (I think), I'll be baptising it on Sunday, so I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks for all the input.

Graham.

A

alan whittington

Good luck Graham,you could certainly get the hardy you mention for at least 50 squids cheaper than that,post free.:)

---------- Post added at 19:25 ---------- Previous post was at 19:23 ----------

Alan,

Yes the Free Spirit are more powerful, yet you can still fish right down to 12 oz hook links with no problem's, thats why i like the rods so much, but i also like the Titan.

Well Ray im considering selling my 13-15 titan and buying a hardy.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Alan,

I like the Hardys also......hahaha, i am becoming a tackle tart again.

Stick the Titan on e/bay, one of the same model went for over £400, i am keeping my Titan 13ft, sold the other a few weeks back.

A

alan whittington

Alan,

I like the Hardys also......hahaha, i am becoming a tackle tart again.

Stick the Titan on e/bay, one of the same model went for over £400, i am keeping my Titan 13ft, sold the other a few weeks back.

Thats what im thinking,i prefer my 12ft titan 2000 anyway.You tart.:D

Richox12

Reaction score
Alan, price doesn't always equate to quality. Marketing etc costs. I've handled some (but not many) Hardy's and although they were nice they were not as good (light, balanced) as my pair of Ultralights and they cost over twice the price. That £300 is, in my opinion, not going into materials etc etc but into other aspects which will not enhance the rod.

A

alan whittington

Alan, price doesn't always equate to quality. Marketing etc costs. I've handled some (but not many) Hardy's and although they were nice they were not as good (light, balanced) as my pair of Ultralights and they cost over twice the price. That £300 is, in my opinion, not going into materials etc etc but into other aspects which will not enhance the rod.

Sorry Richox,which company are your Ultralights made by and definitely price doesnt equate to quality,for in my view diawa have never made a float rod worthy of over £200,yet they sell them,to me the balance and feel in conjunction with the action is awful,as i say i bow to others choices,but and its a big but,i KNOW the action and feel i want from a rod and certainly wouldnt opt for what many say are good,the rods you mention are not immediately recognisable to me(cant feel them all),so i couldnt possibly comment on them,ive had many rods and tried many,many more and there are few that meet up to my expectations,i shall google the aforesaid rods and when next in a shop,i will look at one,cheers Alan.
Right,ive just looked and i see they are Drennan,i will take a peek,god knows when,but i will,my general findings with drennan's is they are slightly tip heavy,but these are probably better.

Last edited:

Richox12

Reaction score
Whether a rod is good value or not is only ever going to be answered by the purchaser.

The 13' Hardy's I compared to the 13' Ultralights (I am not sure what they were called now as it's been a while) I found opposed to your findings (different comparison anyway I would guess). The Ultralights were noticeably (very) better balanced and it was the Hardy's model which was definitely top heavy. Even when compared to the more powerful Float model which I managed to get hold of. When my friend, who had bought the Hardy's model, compared them side by side he cursed as he had just spent well over £175 more for what we both considered inferior rods.

But different anglers want and look for different things in their kit.

Reaction score
For the heavier of the 2 rods you are looking at I'd unhesitatingly recommend the Harrison 4 Piece Avon. I have one built by Peregrine and it is my 'go-to' rod whenever I fish the Kennet, St Pats or Loddon. I use it with a pin trotting for Chub or Barbel, pair it with a Shimano 5010 for any kind of ledgering/feeder work and have had Carp up to just under 20lb that didn't tax it at all.

It is without doubt the best all rounder rod I have ever owned and this year I intend to use it worming for salmon as well as doing some rock fishing for wrasse and mullet.

It's a bit pricey at a tad under £200 but it is a quality, British made rod that I feel represents real value for money.