Float tubes for keeping your floats safe....

fishplate42

Reaction score
I found a Middy float tube that did me well for my longer floats, then I bought a few of those cheap tubes that are listed on eBay and cut them to length to fit my shorter floats. They need a hole punched into at least one end cap or the pop straight off the shorter tubes as there is nowhere for the air to go due to the caps being a good tight fit.

32530668434_4819115c85_c.jpg

I also made a thin, long one from a thick-walled cardboard tube that is varnished and lined with foam. It has a piece of dowel plugging one end (glued in) and another piece fixed to an old hardwood drawer-pull to make a stopper. I made it originally to take with me when I am buying long floats from the tackle shop as they are very vulnerable, mixed in with the other 'stuff', that we have to buy, to make the journey worthwhile. Now I use it when I am going 'light' It is ideal to hold a few floats and fits my shoulder bag perfectly for roving.

Ralph.

22803456271_c85bb759f1_c.jpg

Ralph.

seth49

Reaction score
Just measured the diameter of these tubes I have, two at 45 mm. And one at 60 mm.
Should see my time out, might need to make some caps for them, should be able to make some from wood.
There transparent to which is handy.

One Good thing about being retired, plenty of time to make things.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've seen the middy ones but the only ones i've seen have floats inside, so you have to buy floats you may not want in order to get the bit of tube....ok if you want the floats though.

fishplate42

Reaction score
I've seen the middy ones but the only ones i've seen have floats inside, so you have to buy floats you may not want in order to get the bit of tube....ok if you want the floats though.

I bought my Middy tube on its own from my local tackle shop a couple of years ago. Today, however, they do not sell much other than carp gear. The float range (along with a lot of general coarse stuff) has diminished a lot since then :(

Ralph.

Reaction score
You can buy smaller diameter rod tubes,I have a couple for certain two piece rods,although not as roomy,they are not tight and are easier to stash when travelling,they would be a nice size for a float tube and at 6ft long,long enough for your biggest sliders...:D

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
You can buy smaller diameter rod tubes,I have a couple for certain two piece rods,although not as roomy,they are not tight and are easier to stash when travelling,they would be a nice size for a float tube and at 6ft long,long enough for your biggest sliders...:D

Yeah, they come on diferent diameters, lengths and colours. I like the tinted ones so it's possible to see the rod through it but I think the bog standard black ones are the strongest.