Foreign Imports

D

Dave Slater

Dave,
I fully agree that 20lb carp have been devalued by imported biggies to an extent. I still regard a '20'as a big fish even though I caught a few in the late '70's. I have only ever caught one '30', and I caught that hen I was tench fishing. I felt I had achieved something landing it on tench gear. I fully agree that we have enough of our own. I really don't think we should import any more. Big carp are now within the reach of everybody.

C

Cakey

Graham surely if carp fishing becomes an automated activity we would soon get pi55ed off and move on.
like I said before its always a challenge.
Dont get me wrong I can see where you are coming from but everyones needs are different.
back to the original(I still bite on the anticarp side of things sorry) ,cant we stop imports or are we talking smuggled fish?

D

Dave Rothery

i think its the smuggled fish.

i'm all for it becoming "automated". its a bit like your earlier editorial about "standard methods". i'm all for it. i'll just do something a bit different and clean up! it comes back to watercraft time and time again. i really struggle with it, so it makes me work harder.

D

Dave Rothery

just read back thru the posts graham, i agree about monument (hadnt heard about it, dont read the comics!), but will they be regarded as "english" fish in 20 years when the next generation come along?
does make me laugh when you see people go on about their PB from darenth(for example) though, and they've been fishing 5 minutes. green eyed monster?

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Cakey, I'm not anti-carp fishing and not knocking carp fishing. I don't knock fishing for any species. The only reason I singled out carp fishing is because it's moving faster than any other type of angling and originated the 'standard method and bait'. That's not a dig, merely an observation.

As I said, ".......this is another step towards making fishing, and carp fishing in particular, an automated activity."

I said "carp fishing in particular" because I don't know of any other, calculatedly commercial, man-made, big fish only water, except the Monument, which is a carp only water.

It's inevitable that these things are going to start with carp because carp fishing leads the way with innovative methods, tackle and bait and is more popular than any other type of angling.

I agree with you that if carp fishing (any kind of fishing) becomes automated we will soon become pi55ed off and move on.

Read Mark Wintle's sci-fi piece (<a href=http://www.fishingmagic.com/news/article.asp?UAN=2499&SP=&v=1>'Fishing 2023'</a>). Although the piece is fantasy I do believe that's the way we're heading and that this Monument water is one huge step towards it.

D

Dave Rothery

isnt stick float fishing a standard method on some rivers?

i know what you mean cakehole, i try soooo hard not to bite!

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
There are loads of standard methods Dave, but not all are used on all waters.

I wasn't trying to get a bite, Ron-wise, honest!

D

Dave Rothery

just as many people use the same float rig for tench year in year out, the same swimfeeder rig year in year out. theres been no inovation in years with "normal" fishing, all the developements come from carp angling

Kiwi Carper

Reaction score
I bite at "Anti carp fishing".....dont make me P*ss.

I find the average carp angler the most obnoxious, self centred wan**rs around (99% of MY fishing is for carp)

Why do you think all this development is needed?????????????
I have been fishing for almost 30 years now...started fluff flinging but as not many trout waters in central manchester decided coarse angling was probably a bit easier...cut my teeth on canals and rivers like the dane and weaver before moving further afield to trent and severn etc etc, then I discovered carp! And in my honest opinion I would say that carp are the easiest freshwater fish to catch bar none!!!! Yes it might be hard to catch one out of 100 fish in a 30 acre water but it would be wouldnt it?
This summer I am hoping to put 2 40's on the bank in what will be at the longest an 8 hour session now Im not claiming to be some "cypry god" I just happen to fish on a water that there is a good chance of doing it!!! what advanced tactics / bait will I be using mmmmm straight running leger size 6 or 8 and sweetcorn straight out of the tin.
Would you blank using this method on a UK carp water??? probably but not if you dropped on the fish!!!

Back to the thread I would not be against the import of foreign fish, as we know they are all imports anyway yes maybe a few hundred years ago by the monks of this world but imports non the less, how long do you think a foreign 40 would stay at that weight???? Import other coarse fish? Why not? Disease yes good point but that is not the fault of importers/purchasers, should all live imports not be checked for health???? It is down to control measures.
And regardless of legal methods being allowed unscrupilous people will always do unscrupilous things....how did the Barbel get in the Clyde in central glasgow mmmmmmm. Or the carp in Lomond mmmm stranger and stranger

D

Dave Rothery

Why do you think all this development is needed????????????? why then? you didnt say

I find the average carp angler the most obnoxious, self centred wan**rs around - so why ask them for advice?

and i dont think you can compare the fishing in nz to that on yately's north lake!

maybe we ought to have a fish-off, one of the "carp are easy, use bread, blahblahblah" brigade against a "normal" carp angler. come to oxlease in october if you like,

Kiwi Carper

Reaction score
ooooohhhhh Im a difficult to catch only carp angler.......
Like im gonna spend 6 or 7 grand to come fishing on a crap UK water.
I wasnt saying it was needed I think it is more of a fashion statement to come up with a new rig / method every other day!!!

Yes I do think that of a lot of carp anglers but there are some good ones around and even some good ones on here.

I wasnt comparing it I was making a point about not needing to spend 24/7 after carp to be able to catch big ones if you are on a water with a decnt number of them in.

Perhaps you should have a fish off....or perhaps you should hjust try using a basic 20 year old set up and seeing what you catch, do you really think carp are that intelligent??????

Kiwi Carper

Reaction score
PS
for any fishery owners that are interested I am just waiting on my movement licence to be granted then I will be exporting fish worldwide.....

Anyone interested in a 50 or 60 lb fish for say ?10,000??????

Just one problem you wouldnt be able to diguise it as a UK fish as it will eat anything you put in front of it, and they are all bright red n orange.

Kiwi Carper

Reaction score
Dave why are you always on the attack???? if the cap fits......

Why do you think carp fishing need so many advances???? if people can catch on bread bla bla bla then why use anything else????
Why ask for help/advice because I want it but it wont make me stop thinking carp are easy to catch, if they arent in the mood then you aint gonna catch em if they are and you are in the right place at right time then ....bingo fish on bank!

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Dave said, "just as many people use the same float rig for tench year in year out, the same swimfeeder rig year in year out. theres been no inovation in years with "normal" fishing, all the developements come from carp angling."

We're agreed then Dave, that's almost exactly what I'm saying, except that fewer tench anglers every year are using float and feeder tactics. As you say, the developments have all come from carp angling, which is why the float rig and the feeder rig are dying. Most tench fishers are using bolt rigs, hair rigs and boilies - the 'standard method'.

As are bream anglers, barbel anglers, chub anglers......

Every year sees another step towards most anglers using the standard method and bait to fish for most species except very small ones and predators.

But again, let me repeat, that's not a knock at carp anglers, it's a factual observation and we're 'victims' of our own innovative success.

D

Dave Rothery

why am i always on the attack?
because people make such stupid, sweeping statements. "the average carp angler". most have never met one. you go to any decent carp water (not stocked pond) and most will talk, are reasonably successful, friendly, helpful people. certainly more approachable than a lot of match anglers i met.
carp are easy to catch when they are hungry and you can find them. like any fish. i stopped trout fishing because i found there was no challenge to it. i'd got to bewl bridge once at 7 in the morning, and had left by 8.30 after catching my limit. that and the "pellet" fly.........

people fish 24/7 on the harder lakes because you i/need to to keep your swim ii/need to keep on top of fish movements and iii/have nothing better to do!

you say about fishing waters with decent numbers of fish in them, but where's the challenge to that? thats just grahams point about the "monument" fishery

what is a basic 20 year old set up. if you know your carp fishing, then you'll know that that means boilies, the hair and bolt rigs so your point is what exactly? if you look at my tackle box, there are floats in there and the majority of my leads are less than 2oz, so thats 30 year old tactics.

still dont get your point about the advances, but then thats probably because i'm an stupid, illiterate, carp angler...

D

Dave Rothery

graham

i know your not knocking carp anglers, and most (well some) is tongue in cheek, but the point will always be that its the better angler that adapts his rigs/baits/tactics that will always outfish the others......which is why i want everyone on the same tactic!

D

Dave Rothery

by the way kiwi, i wasn't suggesting you travel to oxlease for obvious reasons! why do you say oxlease is crap?

M

Mike Lee

Kiwi, I can't believe what you have posted.

I really disagree with a lot of what you have said.

You can't compare the pi55 easy NZ waters with what we have in the UK.

I can't believe that you consider it acceptable to pigeonhole me as an, and I quote, 'average carp angler (who is one of) the most obnoxious, self centred wan**rs around'

I believe that you judge others by your own standards, Kiwi.

Your postings have left me feeling disappointed.

Finally, As an Ex-match angler turned carp angler I feel that your statement that you think that carp are the easiest species to catch bar none really lets you down.

When I left the match circuit the only thing I hadn't done is fish for England.

I feel adequately qualified to make this final statement.

The easiest species to catch bar none are humans. They set themselves up for it and make it easy.

L

Les Clark

Kiwi,how are you mate?one or two point`s i`d like to put in,most carper`s cant fish 24/7,and don`t want too anyway,you will get the odd one but that`s all.
You have said yourself,there are no club`s in N/Z,so you havan`t the fishing pressure that we have over here,and as a ex pat you know that allready.
you have shedload`s of big carp that nobody fish for.
As for ****er`s,I find that a tad insulting,but yes, we have a few,but most angler`s I meet are good guy`s.
We do have to try differant rig`s bait`s ect,to try and get the edge,becouse of the fishing pressure,where in your case,if I`m right,your carp ,maybe are only caught the once.
Graham is right in saying that a lot of "branche`s of fishing is becomeing standard, rig`s, bait, ect,tench and bream,becouse they are feeding on carp bait`s,and you find them a bit out of range fishing with a float set up.