France - 93 lb carp

Steve Arnold

Reaction score
Not on my line!

Hope you can open this link without subscribing...........

Philip

Reaction score
Nice fish.

Not sure what the "record" reference is about. Bigger ones have been caught in France and elsewhere. Maybe its a lake record.

Not trying to belittle the capture but its from a private pay lake stocked with monsters. I just cannot see captures like that in the same light as say a Carp from a river or public water.

Its worth noting the UK has now produced Carp of over 80lb. Its all getting a bit too artificial if I can put it like that.

Steve Arnold

Reaction score
Nice fish.

Not sure what the "record" reference is about. Bigger ones have been caught in France and elsewhere. Maybe its a lake record.

Not trying to belittle the capture but its from a private pay lake stocked with monsters. I just cannot see captures like that in the same light as say a Carp from a river or public water.

Its worth noting the UK has now produced Carp of over 80lb. Its all getting a bit too artificial if I can put it like that.
Have to say that sort of place is not to my taste either. There is a lovely private stocked lake about 40 minutes from my home, it has some beautiful fish and is a well run fishery. But I just know I will never pay to catch a "potted" carp!

It's still impressive the size these fish achieve though o_O

Steve Arnold

Reaction score
Not my cup of tea either. I don’t see the attraction of a grossly obese and distended fish. Mid doubles are much nicer imo.

My perfect carp, looked more like a well muscled chub.....fought as well as the 40lb+ carp I caught from the same swim......

Carp 16lb The Garden.jpg

It's rare to catch a really pot-bellied carp from this stretch of the Lot, the river often runs like a train!

@Clive

Reaction score
We went for a riverside walk last week. A couple of hours and then off to a restaurant for lunch. Of course riverside walks are just an excuse for fish spotting. I had seen a decent 15lb+ carp making its way up a shallow, fast stretch and I was following a shoal of small barbel when we came to a small pod of medium sized carp sunning themselves. After a while I went off to look at another area, a large submerged island of mud and weed. There were a few carp there, but then a huge white shape emerged from under a weed raft. The carp around it were between 10lb to 15lb and the white carp was at least three times the size of the biggest commons. It wasn't deep, but by God was it long. I was mesmerised. There was a ghost carp in the Dearne at one time, but nothing like this fish. As Steve has said; the river carp tend to be lean. This one is no exception. I have been looking into this stretch for over ten years and never seen it previously. And there is nothing on social media about it. A true phantom.

Catching it however would be another matter and I am not dedicated enough to put the time and effort in. For one thing it is only one of at least a dozen in that stretch so the odds are small on the big one taking the bait first, and anyone fishing for it would naturally attract attention. Nobody fishes this stretch as far as I know and I ain't letting the circus know about it.

Philip

Reaction score
A few of the rivers I fish hold some very desirable Koi and Ghosties that are often seen but rarely caught. There is one large white Koi in the Seine that I have had several close encounters with but have yet to catch. ..I was really close on one occasion, I was stalking it up and down the margins until the early hours illuminated by street lights shining down on the water. After hours of cat and mousing I finally managed to get into a position above were the fish was heading and dropped a lump of freelined breadflake right in its path. It was perfect, the fish saw it ambled over & went down to pick it up, the line tightened and I struck ...and an ide of about 2lb came splashing in ! It must have literally taken it off its nose. 😭

Here are a couple of examples of when it did go right. Its worth stressing these are not "domesticated" fish from a pay puddle, they are wild fish from large rivers. There is a big difference as I am sure the experienced anglers on here will appreciate ..

Koi1.jpg

koi2 (2).jpg

Last edited:

@Clive

Reaction score
It is strange how much the carp vary in shape and colour. These are all from the same river

Vienne Carp 20-02 on mat.jpg

Carp 18lb River Vienne.jpg

20201215_150116_resize_23.jpg

Chaillac Carp 11lb.jpg

Carp Rochehouart.jpg
Carp 21lb Mas Chaban.jpg

And as a paradox, the next to last photo is one of a shoal, all identical. I call them the Dawn Patrol after the elephant herd in the Jungle Book. They are virtually identical in size, shape and the grey colour.

20200707_142001.jpg