Gazumped!

C

Chairman BAZ (Angel of the North)

Eddie.
Ask Frank what percentage of our members are oap's. You would have shock mate. It's bluddie frigtening.
We would really like to give every oap a free licence as we once did, but todays climate forbids it.

And you and many others want to give them concessions? Would you and everybody else be willing to pay the extra to cover these conseccions? I very much doubt it, one or two would but not enough, the implications of a club doing what you suggest are gruesome. Ask Lymm Anglers. Or get to the AGM and listen to the explanation of why what you suggest would not be feesable. It gets brought up every year mate.

T

Terry D

Baz,
I know some clubs have a lot of 'retired' members, my own included, but as I said clubs have to move with the times and you cut your cloth accordingly and arrange your concessions to suit. Like the NFA is now finding out, change hurts when you have to run it as a serious business and that's exactly what's happening now. It's a dog eat dog world out there nowadays, but 'some' dinosaurs just couldn't (or wouldn't) see it coming. Maybe the solution is to go back to the age of large angling federations and in that way, if they can band together they should end up with a lot more clout.

C

I'd go along with them banding together, buteven so , I don't think their is any need for that just yet.

E

EC

Baz, I am unaware of exact percentages of OAPs in WAA, but I am aware that the average age profile of anglers in general is getting older, and that has been the case for a good while.

But, yes I would be prepared to pay towards OAPs concessions, and concessions for juniors also!

However at the same time, if the weighting of OAPs in clubs is so high, then clubs must surely act now and do something radical to try and redress this issue for once those OAPs have gone, whom will their take their place as members?

E

EC

Somehow angling needs to be made much more apealing to the younger masses.

However, like I have stated elsewhere, there is so much competition from other leisure areas, and that coupled with parents being frightened to let their kids out of sight doesnt bode well for the real long term future.

E

EC

Tony, I can't argue with that example, lets just say then that not all anglers are cheapskates then mate!

F

Fred Davis

Years ago as a kid I started with a small net over the local park stream catching sticlkebacks, I then progressed onto the river lea which was free fishing as were the local pond lakes, not only that they were stuffed with fish ok for us novices catching gudgeon small roach, chub and dace with the occasional lump thrown in was bliss, these days most kids are looked upon as a hindrence anglers are more concerned the youngster don't step on his prize possession (normally a new carbon pole), charges are now made for fishing the river lea, local parks (if fishing is indeed allowed) the sport is veiwed by the BBC as cruelty to annimals and left wing teachers have been following government policy, the days of field trips to the river and teaching about the beuty of the english countryside in this christian land have gone and PC does not help the matter,Teachers are more concerned thatwe embrace multiculturalism than we learn about our own country, and indeed when a youngster does turn up to fish the river lea there is hardly any sport to be had for novices the fishing is that bad even the seasoned angler finds the going tough, lots of thingsare to blame why kids don't go in the numbers they used to, in this day you have to becareful to even offer to take a lad fishing in case parents think tyou have an alterier motive, however one thing is for certain don't blame the kids, it's the way things are these days, the halcon days where worry was not an issue because we were more ignorent or anaware of the dangers are long since gone, the bell tolls

C

Involving kids in fishing.
Hence the reason why clubs are getting registered under the child protection scheme, where very official is vetted. W.A.A was the first to go down this road.

What do you suggest Eddie? Drag people in off the streets?
All suggestions welcome.

C

No sarcasm at all.
You asked,who will replace the pensioners?
So I am asking for your suggestions.

C

Yes, but why so touchy you big tart.

C

So then, now that I have picked your dummy up and wiped it for you, have you got any sugestions on how clubs can increase their memberships?

E

EC

Oh, Bazza be nice, you're not being much of an angel today!

But to answer your qustion, off the top of my head,

1. Better facilities on site, similar to commercial fisheries.

2. Ongoing coaching schemes.

3. Parent/child events such as matches, barbeques etc.

4. Supervised waters where kids can go in holidays and be safe.

5. Card exchange schemes with other clubs.

6. Liaison with local schools

7. Nature/wildlife days and evenings.

8. Improved access.

9. Habitat improvement programmes.

10. 'Friends of' xxx angling club whereby non anglers can join and enjoy the countryside.

11. Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrmmmmmmmmmmm

T

Tony Rocca

The problem with most club anglers is that they just want to go fishing and do nowt else, cant blame em really.

Eddies points are good but you either get folks to do it for the love of it, very difficult, ever tried to get a work party together? not easy, or you pay em. Facilities cost money too.

As has been said...........fishings too cheap, has been for ages.

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
Fishing is cheap and the cheapskates don't pay even the cheapest day tickets cos there's never anybody there to catch them, well hardly ever.

Problem is more baliffs requires more money which needs to be collected by baliffs???

There is no fear of being caught anymore for these leeches.