Get your floaters out!

bank_tramp

Reaction score
Spring is definitely here, the sun is shining, temperatures in excess of 20c again today......time to give the floater rod an airing me thinks. Anyone had any off the top yet this year?

barbelboi

Reaction score
Not off the top but well up in the water. Probably have a go Tuesday.
Jerry
PS Apart from the temperatures the winds are helpfully light too

sam vimes

Reaction score
I know of only one carp taken on floaters in over three years on my local gravel pit. As its murky depths get down to just shy of thirty feet, it takes weeks of good sunshine and high temperatures to persuade the carp to come up to the surface. They do seem to come into what little shallow water there is at the merest hint of sunshine though. That's where I'll be chasing them in the next four days. Light winds should make them that bit easier to spot too.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I know of only one carp taken on floaters in over three years on my local gravel pit. As its murky depths get down to just shy of thirty feet, it takes weeks of good sunshine and high temperatures to persuade the carp to come up to the surface. They do seem to come into what little shallow water there is at the merest hint of sunshine though. That's where I'll be chasing them in the next four days. Light winds should make them that bit easier to spot too.

Sam, take yourself down the M1 to Hardwick hall and have ago on the millers pond. This lake is just teaming with very big carp (15 to 25lb!) and the visitors don't have a clue about its depth, I used to swim in this lake when I was a kid and I know every contour, every type of weed, and could give names to every swan mussel in there! The lake is only 5 foot at its very deepest and while the clueless carp boy's are putting 3 rods out to the middle of the lake I have taken carp in the shallows at the other end of the lake (they can't get to that side with their trollies!) with a power match rod and 6lb line right through!

Mark

sam vimes

Reaction score
I have taken carp in the shallows at the other end of the lake with a power match rod and 6lb line right through!

Exactly what I'm doing at the moment on the water I'm frequenting. My beloved Shimano 15' Specimen match rods, 6/8lb mainline and a waggler or polaris float if it's too choppy or I need to go beyond the shelf. Can't wait to get home tomorrow morning. The forecast suggests three or four days of sunshine, the sun brings them out to play and I've got four days off!:) From Monday I'm likely to have the place to myself. Might try a slightly different tack so I can use the Powermesh Avons.;)

It was me that had the fish on floater last year, just 'cos I'm a contrary b......;):D

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Exactly what I'm doing at the moment on the water I'm frequenting. My beloved Shimano 15' Specimen match rods, 6/8lb mainline and a waggler or polaris float if it's too choppy or I need to go beyond the shelf. Can't wait to get home tomorrow morning. The forecast suggests three or four days of sunshine, the sun brings them out to play and I've got four days off!:) From Monday I'm likely to have the place to myself. Might try a slightly different tack so I can use the Powermesh Avons.;)

It was me that had the fish on floater last year, just 'cos I'm a contrary b......;):D

I had a powermesh Avon that I sold that when I was short, the best rod I have ever owned, a proper avon!

Mark

themyth

Reaction score
Sam, take yourself down the M1 to Hardwick hall and have ago on the millers pond. This lake is just teaming with very big carp (15 to 25lb!) and the visitors don't have a clue about its depth, I used to swim in this lake when I was a kid and I know every contour, every type of weed, and could give names to every swan mussel in there! The lake is only 5 foot at its very deepest and while the clueless carp boy's are putting 3 rods out to the middle of the lake I have taken carp in the shallows at the other end of the lake (they can't get to that side with their trollies!) with a power match rod and 6lb line right through!

Mark

hmmm...hardwick hall,was this stocked by mr donald leney in the 1950's?

geggsnick

Reaction score
we got let out of work early frinday so took my fly rod and a box of flies down to the local carp lake and had my first carp on a fly off the surface, will be doing plenty more of that this summer, lots of fun.

dangermouse

Reaction score
Picked up a few dog biscuits yesterday so if the carp are showing on the surface tomorrow I may have a go.