Glug's and Dips

R

Roto Fryer

warren you going to answer the question about ky jelly or not?

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

This week i will be mostly divulging in KY jelly and ice cream.

M

Margot Twine

Mix cornflower with syrup or treacle cheap , works well and sticks like s*** to a blanket also water soluble.

R

Rodney Wrestt

Some old ones like marmite or molasas both have the same effect as Margot's suggestion about stickyness and water soluble qualities.

C

Clive Evans

Rodney, marmite's good, might try that on the bread!
Could you please get rid of that manic minnow, or I'll be joining 'Dylan' on the acid.

R

Rodney Wrestt

Oi Clive, that ain't no minnow it's a huge 6oz roach...my pride an' joy. :eek:}~

C

Clive Evans

Roto, would you please explain your point about oil not being any use. I've been using 'Meaty fish Bites' quite succesfully.
I had assumed that most glugs were oil-based. What's the problem? Why is it best to use water-soluble?
Clive.

C

Carp Angler

I should add that, although the oil is a glug in it's own right, Stuart has asked for a neutral base to add his flavours to.
You cannot add a flavour to a base that already has an inherent taste/smell without affecting the flavour you are adding.

The point about the base being water soluble is so that any flavour added to it will disperse, oils are not water soluble so the flavour will stay contained within the oil.

C

Clive Evans

Rik,
Flavour, yes, but what about scent. Surely that disperses, and isn't a scent trail just as attractive as a flavour trail? I agree that water-soluble has the advantage of both, but is the dispersal efficient in still-waters.

Ps. I've put a question to you in the 'D-rig' thread (Birds Nest) that I'd appreciate your thoughts on.
Clive.

R

Roto Fryer

minamino is the way to go as u have a half decent profile before u even have to think.
and im not convinced that ph neutral flavours are much use at all i suspect the majority of them are for the anglers benefit

R

Robert Woods

I see that Boots sell Metatone Tonic. Can this be used together with a flavour instead of minamino?

M

Mick Weston

Not sure about this "dont use oils argument". OK they aren't water soluble - but that didn't stop the Premier boys cleaning up with heavily glugged fishmeals in the 80's. Also you can choose different consistencies for different conditions eg thicker for slower dispersal in warm water and thin oils for cool conditions. If solubilty is an issue for you there are plenty of good emulsifiers to choose from (Lecithin).

A lot of commercially available dips are oil based and non water soluble, which is why many do not dissolve PVA bags eg. minamino and Ambio - lack of solubility does not stop these being good dips does it.

C

Carp Angler

No-one is saying that they aren't good glugs, but (and I'll say it again) Stuarts original post was asking for a neutral glug base for him to personalise.

Minamino, Ambio etc etc are not neutral glugs, they have their own inherent flavour/taste/smell.

M

Mick Weston

Fair enough. It all depends what you are trying to achieve. If you want a truly neutral base then a thin oil is often as good as anything - or failing that water.

Nash baits boilie dips are all based on very thin easily dispersed oils. Many flavours are also oil based which is why some can thicken in the fridge. The simplest dips are simply a thin oil base with an oil based flavour blended in.

On the other hand Nash baits Food Dips are more complex and look to be based on products such as minamino as a starting point but boosted by the addition of other stuff to give it a unique profile, I suspect that Activator etc are similar.

Nutrabaits Trigga is a bit different as it is water based. I think this can be regarded more as a thick "stock" or soup. You just keep adding soluble tasty substances to water to get a thick goo which you coat your boilie with - well worth a try this as you can get an awfull lot of soluble powders into 100ml of water.

R

Roto Fryer

perhaps stuart will tell us why he feels the need to glug some hookbaits?
if all he wants is a stronger flavouron his hook baits then he can add a few drops of whatever to a small batch of his boilies and re freeze.