Ground bait mix for crucian ?

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I think I may give the banana a go. I have been experimenting with dosing the bait with Lo Salt and it's a bit early to say if it makes a positive difference.

All I have really discovered so far is that they don't hate it and my catches have been better than the anglers within my sight.

Based on Friday...also better than those you can't see ! Most peculiar...I've been thinking about it ever since and I just cannot fathom what the little blighters were playing at. I thought I was on for a blinding day but the swim just died on me after an hour....and never came back.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Based on Friday...also better than those you can't see ! Most peculiar...I've been thinking about it ever since and I just cannot fathom what the little blighters were playing at. I thought I was on for a blinding day but the swim just died on me after an hour....and never came back.

I think they may have been spawning because the conditions seemed ideal.

laguna

Reaction score
I think I may give the banana a go. I have been experimenting with dosing the bait with Lo Salt and it's a bit early to say if it makes a positive difference.

All I have really discovered so far is that they don't hate it and my catches have been better than the anglers within my sight.

You might be onto something there Ray, as you say; at least they dont hate it?
When we had our little discussion a while back you mentioned Losalt which you quite rightly said contains Potassium and then I did a little asking around.. see what I found below in my next response to Greenie

Thanks for the very full response Chris,
Your point about 'change baits' is well made. For example - if I have Muesli for breakfast - I feel it's quite reasonable to have Pie n Chips for dinner, whereas if I have a Bacon Butty for brekkers, I'd avoid eating Pie n Chips and might seek out a Salad (almost a capital offence in Wigan!) ;) Yeah I know it's anthropomorphising - but it makes the point!

Your point about the relative ionic K v Na attraction is amplified in Rays note about LoSalt where c.60% of the Sodium ions are replaced by Potassium in a readily soluble form.

Next step: LoSalt dosed hair-rigged banana chunks?!?! :puke: :confused:

Thanks for the help lads! :thumbs:

Potassium citrate (the potassium naturally found in fruits and vegetables) is probably better/safer than potassium chloride found in losalt.

When Ray first mentioned losalt a few weeks ago I did a little digging around and was told it likely contains potassium chloride (unconfirmed).
If true then I would please urge caution, at least for the time being... Potassium chloride is used in heart surgery and lethal injection to stop the heart!
It may well be safe for humans in low oral dosage though fish are more susceptible to these things, I don't have any data to hand on its safety yet so it needs looking into but I'm loathed to risk my own tank fish in order to find out.

Losalt also contains 30%+ salt (sodium Chloride) to counter its weak, unsalty flavour and thaumatin added to reduce bitterness.
- according to Wiki Thaumatin is an intensely sweet-tasting protein (about 100,000 times as sweet as sucrose). On that basis one grain would be equivalent to a full bag of sugar!

Salt has always been regarded as being attractive to fish and recommended as a good additive for our baits.
I proposed last year on this very forum suggesting that all minerals have a role to play in attraction - not just the sodium in salt which is made of two components sodium + chloride.
Chloride bound to sodium has a neutral aspect and in solution; chlorine negative and sodium positive will more or less cancel one another out (NaCl, representing equal proportions of sodium and chlorine). Its only when they are in solution (water) that they can be detected by fish.

Just to substantiate what I said earlier regards Potassium being more electropositive than Sodium:
Sodium has 3 electron shells and one outer electron.
Potassium also has one outer electron but it is in a 4th shell, further away from the attractive pull of its nucleus, so potassium loses its outer electron more easily than sodium and is therefore more electropositive.
Anyone understanding the chemistry will confirm this.

That's a cracking post once again Chris.

You mention something which I've heavily subscribed to myself over the last few months, namely solubility but I can't help questioning what I see as contradictions whereby I can fish with a soft, soluble bait such as bread and catch plenty of fish yet still do the same with hard pellets that have barely had time to hit the deck before they are taken?

I've tried cross referencing solubility with digestability in my own mind but I'm really not clever enough to come to a reasonable conclusion yet it all seems to work in practice?

I guess I should be happy things work but I'm struggling on this one? :confused:

I dont think any of us are really that clever where fish are concerned Steve, they sure do take some figuring out thats for sure! :eek:mg:
What I am certain about though is that digestibility or palatability for that matter doesn't takes preference, what I mean by that is that fish will first be attracted by 'smell' or by sight and then feed, they have the ability to differentiate between certain amino acids (L-types generally evoke a positive response), and various chemical signals in the water and will, under certain circumstances; either take it or refuse it according to their needs - this will change from day to day/hour to hour. If they had a choice of a variety of different baits (as they mostly do on commercials) they would more likely become preoccupied on something nutritious like maggot, worm, corn or pellets rather than some doctored artificially flavoured man-made concoction....

As to the solubility factor; pellets are soluble, the amino acids are ever present in their smell even to us humans they don't half pong mate! :D
Bread is a bloody good bait but then I suppose it depends on your quarry, if it were chub then no doubt bread is arguably better (best?) whereas when I fish for barbel i might use meat or pellets...
When I think about something being soluble in the water I tend to think of a bait which has the potential to be most attractive i.e. paste is more soluble than a hard pellet. that washed out look tends to catch more fish than a fresh cast one same goes for liquid additives that readily mixes and disperses etc.

One further subject of interest (to me anyway) are microscopic organisms both live/biotic/biota and detritus.
In some respects these are far more attractive than some amino acids, its probably the reason why bread (yeast), cheese (bacteria) predigested/malted seeds & legumes (yeast+bacteria+enzymatic processes) are so successful when incorporated in our baits. Of course if they are masked (adulterated) with artificial flavours, acids or alkali chemicals (the usual man-made nice smelling stuff), heat, alcohol etc. then they will loose their natural attraction - the single biggest reason why some have no faith in flavours perhaps?

Anyway, none of this tells us how to single out those baby eyes (crucians) but at least my mate Al knows; 2" over depth laid on banana SAC juice soaked skretting's pellets - two rod lengths out! :w

Last edited:

greenie62

Reaction score
Another excellent post Chris.
Your point about the use of Potassium Chloride in lethal injections has always worried me about switching to LoSalt - doctors wouldn't recommend switching to LoSalt if it was potential more lethal than common salt - would they? :confused: - after all - Dr.s are always right - aren't they?:rolleyes:

Potassium also has one outer electron but it is in a 4th shell, further away from the attractive pull of its nucleus, so potassium loses its outer electron more easily than sodium and is therefore more electropositive.
Anyone understanding the chemistry will confirm this.
In simple terms -this is also why Potasium is also more 'reactive' than Sodium - and why a little can go a long way in terms of equivalent compounds.

Thanks again for the response - plenty to ponder over in that one! :thumbs:

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Another excellent post Chris.
Your point about the use of Potassium Chloride in lethal injections has always worried me about switching to LoSalt - doctors wouldn't recommend switching to LoSalt if it was potential more lethal than common salt - would they? :confused: - after all - Dr.s are always right - aren't they?:rolleyes:

In simple terms -this is also why Potasium is also more 'reactive' than Sodium - and why a little can go a long way in terms of equivalent compounds.

Thanks again for the response - plenty to ponder over in that one! :thumbs:

I think that the fact they inject it into your bloodstream is a bit of a give away, even the Americans don't try topping people by sprinkling it on their food.

I wouldn't fancy my chances after being injected with SAC Banana juice, though Chris would probably tell us it would do us all good, lol.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
I'm not one to normally mess about with flavourings/additives but I've read so much about this SAC banana juice I have decided to give it a go. I can't have that Roberts giving me a good hiding with his Lo-Salt sweetcorn on "my" water ! :D

So....how would one prepare some pellets with this ? I'm thinking of knocking up a bottle of flavouring [with water ?] and using that but I'm a bit naive when it comes to concentrations etc.

Chris ? Anybody ?

And how about some SAC deadbait juice to give us mad zander anglers an edge eh ? I'd take some convincing that banana sardine would be a go-er !

laguna

Reaction score
Oral absorption is just one such route of exposure for many nutrients and toxins. Example; potassium, sodium and chloride are readily absorbed from the gastrointestinal tract, skin, fins and gills of fish. Fish tend to leave the area if able if excess toxins are present anyway and as Ray says; losalt doesn't appear to be off putting?

Although SAC juice is perfectly edible (a Glycerite & Nutraceutical) I wouldn't fancy my chances after injecting it either, mind you we get several enquiries from e-cig users asking if strawberry's any good for smoking? true, and then there's Lord Paul's frequent accusations suggesting I drink the stuff! :eek: :p

laguna

Reaction score
I'm not one to normally mess about with flavourings/additives but I've read so much about this SAC banana juice I have decided to give it a go. I can't have that Roberts giving me a good hiding with his Lo-Salt sweetcorn on "my" water ! :D

So....how would one prepare some pellets with this ? I'm thinking of knocking up a bottle of flavouring [with water ?] and using that but I'm a bit naive when it comes to concentrations etc.

Chris ? Anybody ?

And how about some SAC deadbait juice to give us mad zander anglers an edge eh ? I'd take some convincing that banana sardine would be a go-er !

Good stuff Skip, its quite concentrated you can use it neat or dilute with up to 4 parts water. I'm currently using a mineral pellet (environmentally friendly alternative to plastic) and just soak them in juice, I can catch 25 fish (my record so far) on the same bait before needing to change it. If you have a pump you can use expanders or just add a few drops to some pellets in a bag and shake to coat (Soak And Coat).

When we first launched we consulted with a marine biologist living in the Balearics who used our sea urchin SAC juice with SEASPAWN, others including his charter clients have since used rag worm too, we dont produce these any more but its potential is unlimited where extracts are desired. If you have the time (12-18 months) and desire to make your own you could maybe extract some smelt or bluies and add potassium citrate.... seriously!

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Thanks Chris....being seriously old school I think I shall try the "Soak & Coat" approach first. I like things to be simple & easy to remember.

I'm not sure what I was expecting but my bottle of binarner juice arrived today [top marks] and it does not smell particularly of binarner. That's just an observation btw...its not [as I understand it] a flavouring in the generally accepted sense.

I will report back how I get on with it.

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
Blimey ..love the science and chemistry but have nothing to contribute to that im afraid.

Back in the day at Witley Park withy true crucians it was invariably sweetcorn on the hook, and lightly fed at very regular intervals too, with some Sensas 2000 and Hovis brown crumb groundbait mixed with sweetcorn juice if the fish werent already climbing up the rod (as they did at Witley). Mind you, i think GB wasnt "technically" allowed there. Even the maggots i favoured for the Crucians were yellow, whereas bronze was normally the first choice.

As i only ever see brown goldfish these days i am tempted to recommend Tetrafin or some other goldfish foods as an additive.

laguna

Reaction score
Thanks Chris....being seriously old school I think I shall try the "Soak & Coat" approach first. I like things to be simple & easy to remember.

I'm not sure what I was expecting but my bottle of binarner juice arrived today [top marks] and it does not smell particularly of binarner. That's just an observation btw...its not [as I understand it] a flavouring in the generally accepted sense.

I will report back how I get on with it.
That's the difference between an artificial "Flavour" and a natural "Attractant"

"Flavour" = False!

The smell of SAC juice wont blow your nose off, the smell is subtle and naturally attractive to fish.

Look forward to your report Skip :)

---------- Post added at 23:40 ---------- Previous post was at 23:37 ----------

As i only ever see brown goldfish these days i am tempted to recommend Tetrafin or some other goldfish foods as an additive.
Thats a very good suggestion!

no-one in particular

Reaction score
With crucians having small mouths I have often done well with tiny bits of luncheon meat float fished on a 14 hook. Throwing a few offerings in every now and again. They seemed to love it on one lake I fish.

greenie62

Reaction score
tiny bits of luncheon meat
Similarly, I've had success with Lidl's Sliced Garlic Sausage - punched into discs and served up on a 18 to 1.7 - or used to tip-off a small halibut pellet - the only snag is every other fish in the pool likes it as well - so you end-up with dozens of 'nuisance fish'. ;)You know - like tench, roach, perch, bream, goldies, and 5lb commons! :eek:

And THAT's the problem - trying to find something that ONLY Cru's will feast on!

The snag is that if you use any groundbait - you can attract any other species - you can put the Cru's off the hookbait through overfeeding - the other 'nuisance' fish muscle in - no more Cru's caught.

So far the only hope that's been held out - is for the Banana SAC - but results are awaited! What a b*&&er if it turns out to be a killer for Tench eh?! ;):D

Fish - don't yer jus' luv em? :eek:mg:

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I've read this Thread with only passing interest and like others most of the technical stuff is over my head and until yesterday I would've stuck to my normal way of spending money on additives - I don't do it, full stop!!

So what happened yesterday? Well, I fished a small water containing some nice crucians, although not over (say) 2lbs or so and these rarely caught. I'd caught some decent roach on punched bread and then out of the blue a reasonable crucian on the same bait but try as I might I couldn't catch another.
Now as an aside it was tipping it down and being happy with my catch I searched my bag for something a bit different to try and found wheat but it did nothing for the fish. Then I thought about this Thread and it dawned on me that I had my usual banana in my bag so without further ado I cut a small piece and pulled the 16 hook through it with a needle. It didn't look too secure but I tried a gentle cast (into 8' of water) and waited. Unfortunately the bait almost sank the float but I could see enough for a bite and what happened was that the float dipped quickly not once, but twice after only some minutes in the water! At first I was too shocked to strike plus it was too quick for me so I recast and tried again....same thing!

If you're waiting for 'angler lands ten 2lb crucians in an hour on banana' you will be sorely disappointed because I didn't connect with anything in the deeps and in the end the banana was too soft to use.....................

HOWEVER, what I have just done is order some of this SAC juice in Banana 'Flavour' from the Laguna Empire site and I too will be giving it a thorough workout over the coming weeks simply because I'm intrigued by it's possibilities particularly around crucians AND I want the thrill of trying something new even if it turns out to be a waste of money....(I did think about pineapple as well, but then I thought, let's not get carried away!!)

I'm really looking forward to it so watch this space !!

ps I'm undecided as to how I will use this product but I have a few days to work on that and I have some baits which should readily accept a certain amount of flavour if left overnight!!

pps The usual disclaimer: I have not connection whatsoever with Laguna, financial or otherwise. In fact I wouldn't know him if we passed in the street!!

Last edited:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Greenie's right, luncheon meat does attract every other fish. However, I have found generally with crucians if a shoal gets into your fishing area they will take over for a while and I have have good spells just catching crucians with the luncheon meat. But, I appreciate every water must be different.

greenie62

Reaction score
generally with crucians if a shoal gets into your fishing area they will take over for a while

Hi Mark,
I dream of shoals of Crucians - unfortunately on the waters I'm on at the moment there appear to be only a handful of decent Cru's and shoals of Goldies, Roach and Hybrids which move into the swim until their activity attracts a 'bully carp' which moves in, hoovers the swim and totally disrupts the idyll - hence my quest for a means of 'tagetting' the Crucians.
This appears to be a wide-spread phenomen - see Making Crucians Crucial - elsewhere on this forum.
Cheers
Good luck with your 'shoals' - I'm jealous! ;)

Last edited:

reeds

Reaction score
Blimey, talk about making something complicated! :)

Any fishmeal groundbait will work fine. I've had a few nice crucians this spring, all have come to fake maggots or fake mini corn over fishmeal groundbait.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Well my SAC banana juice has arrived so I shall be going 'complicated' for the next few weeks as I give it a workout.
However, your 'fishmeal' thingy did not pass me by so that will be next on the list...

BTW what sort of weight are you talking with your cru's ? You need to be doing some 2lb + fish to be in the 'club'....add a smilie whatsit here!

reeds

Reaction score
Cool, good luck!

Biggest so far 3.07:

DSCF0052_zps58835c7a.jpg