Groundbait. What do you do?

john step

Reaction score
The only trouble with that groundbait is it is fishmeal and in my view not so good for roach etc,but as you say groundbait is iffy,but if it is the right choice a mug full for a days fishing can get great results...
Thats interesting about fishmeal and roach. Last two summers but definitely not colder winter temps I have had some good roach fishing with 6mm fishmeal pellets.
I have fed a few sparingly until they get going and used a 6mm banded on a 16 B611 or 14 B520 . This was club lakes not heavily stocked commies where they were used to loads of pellets being fed. I certainly sorted the bigger ones.

wetthrough

Reaction score
At this time of year and forward to late spring I’d be very wary of using any gb at all. If I did it would have the lowest feed content possible. Dynamite F1 cold water gb in the dark version for instance. The only food I’d want the fish to find is my hookbait.

If only I'd known that at 6am this morning... :)

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
The only trouble with that groundbait is it is fishmeal and in my view not so good for roach etc,but as you say groundbait is iffy,but if it is the right choice a mug full for a days fishing can get great results...
Alan have you tried the sweet meal based ground baits such as the F1 range, I think vde supercup is sweetmeal based, I have had some good results using that.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I don't groundbait much except for hook bait samples thrown in in small amounts. However, I have wondered in the past what it is about bread that makes it so universally attractive to all fish, I reckon it is the yeast scent which must be strong to fish so I would try mixing some in a little warm water and sugar and let it ferment for 15 mins and add that to groundbait. I have tried it sprinkled over maggots and it worked but attracted a lot of small fish. But I reckon the scent of yeast like this in grounbait would attract fish as well.
I wonder if this is why wheat is sometimes such a good bait, I believe it has a lot of natural wild yeasts on it, not sure about that but possible.

Reaction score
Alan have you tried the sweet meal based ground baits such as the F1 range, I think vde supercup is sweetmeal based, I have had some good results using that.

No Mark,to be fair my fishing swings from one type to another,I was fishing Bedford free stretch a lot over the last few years where I was using g.bait,where i'm fishing at present,that is rivers and lakes I don't.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
No Mark,to be fair my fishing swings from one type to another,I was fishing Bedford free stretch a lot over the last few years where I was using g.bait,where i'm fishing at present,that is rivers and lakes I don't.
At the moment on the water I am fishing I am using method or banjo feeders,
The groundbait is either Ringers method mix or a Dynamite baits one, or soaked 2mm pellets with liquid F1 flavouring
The margins and waggler range respond better to loose feed .

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I often add marmite to my gb prior to mixing, I have great faith in it as an attractant. Similarly I will often dip baits such as luncheon meat and bread in it.

I believe marmite is a yeast extract so could support my theories about bread and adding yeast to groundbait. next summer once I get going again I might do some more experiment's with it.

john step

Reaction score
I believe marmite is a yeast extract so could support my theories about bread and adding yeast to groundbait. next summer once I get going again I might do some more experiment's with it.
On the Marmite front.... I think Marmite has a high salt content. Sea salt was one of the "must have" additives sold a year or two to carp fishers!

rayner

Reaction score
Gosh a mighty Gordon, are you a chemist. I go for just some of this and a bit of that. I'm a little haphazard I know, it's just the way I roll.
I think you're right Mr Step salt is the attractor.

wetthrough

Reaction score
That's just from the Marmite web site Gary, just for information. I'm a little haphazard myself when it comes to putting it together.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I am going to try Himalayan Pink salt in my micros next time out .

I’ve mentioned before that I’ve used Lo-salt as an additive and it works well. I use it on corn and luncheon meat. It’s also a good addition to liquidised bread and punched bread. I cut off the crusts and steam the slice for a couple of seconds, then liberally sprinkle the slice with Lo-salt prior to rolling. I remember Laguna mentioning that fish actively seek salt and potassium at certain times. Lo-salt contains potassium so I thought I would try it and for me it works. I add it to seed baits like hemp too. When the fish are really feeding hard then they take almost anything and it’s difficult to see an improvement in your catch rate. But on a cold or hard day I’m sure as I can be that it makes a definite difference. Another bonus is to some extent it acts as a preservative and the bait keeps longer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rayner

Reaction score
You'll have to bear with me Ray I don't now mix with other anglers even more so in the current crisis. I haven't done for years now since I stopped using my local pub.
Why Lo-salt, I'm sure I've heard it before but I don't know why is normal sea salt not good or is it, what's the difference between the two that interests fish.

mikench

Reaction score
I think losalt has less sodium and more potassium Gary. It's certainly far less er salty.

I've just checked and it has 66% less sodium chloride than regular table salt. As the fish I pursue probably have high blood pressure ( increasing when they know it's me) it is much better for them. :rolleyes:

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
You'll have to bear with me Ray I don't now mix with other anglers even more so in the current crisis. I haven't done for years now since I stopped using my local pub.
Why Lo-salt, I'm sure I've heard it before but I don't know why is normal sea salt not good or is it, what's the difference between the two that interests fish.

I’ve mentioned the idea of Lo-salt on here before. I was thinking of using normal salt but apparently it’s fortified with iodine which fish so I have been told find off putting. Laguna who posts on here at times mentioned at one time about fish activity seeking out salt and
minerals. He also said that they like potassium in their diet. Lo-salt contains mainly potassium chloride rather than sodium chloride. So I thought this may kill two birds with one stone. I believe it gets me more bites when the going is hard. Carp anglers have been using Rock salt or salt licks for animals for years. I don’t know if it’s still available but there was a company that made salt rings, a bit like polo mints.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk