HDR love it or hate it ?

Shine

Reaction score
Havent gone through all of them Mark, but some are just stunning.

Might nick this one and put it in the river comp ;)

6611578-md.jpg

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
That was my favourite picture also, it just doesn't look real to me, but picturesque none the less. Would make a lovely painting to hang on my wall.

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
I like some but others not so much.

Some of them look like someone's selected the sky area with the lassoo tool (not very accurately) and then used the image burn or levels/curves to bring out some detail.

This one I'm not keen on:

This one I like:

This one too:
6067117-lg.jpg

---------- Post added at 23:37 ---------- Previous post was at 22:53 ----------

I've found instructions on how to do it manually for those of us with older versions of Photoshop (I'm still on 7).

With PS 7 you can do it manually.

Open your images and using the move tool with the shift key held down so it will exactly align the images, move your second image on top of the first, same with subsequent pictures.

You will then have your base image with other images on their own layer on top and you will be looking at the top image. On this layer open a layer mask (The 'front loading washing machine' symbol on the Layers Palette).

Then its a case of painting with a brush tool on the mask (make sure you have clicked on the mask to make it active), black makes the pixels on the top layer transparent revealing the layer underneath. White paints the pixels back in again. Of course you can always paint with a shade of grey to get an in-between blend, or you can use the Fill slider underneath the opacity (now you know what its for LOL).

Normally you would put the darkest layer on top and work downwards, but each to their own here. You can see that's its very labour intensive, but it does produce great results and is how it was done in the darkroom.

I usually just do two layers and when I'm happy introduce another layer and then blend that.

Save as a PSD then you can go back in at any time to make further adjustments. If you want to wipe out any adjustments and start again just fill the mask for that Layer with White. (Click on the mask and with White as your background colour use Ctrl + Backspace).

Old Nick

Reaction score
This HDR looks pretty damn good, easy to overdo it by the looks of things, but the detail and tone range looks spot on,

Paul, that third image looks very Dali'ish, I was expecting the man hole cover to melt off the screen!!!

Must give this a go!

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
I know what you mean, not my handywork though unfortunately.

I've tried the method I lifted off another site (in my last post) and it works just fine, in fact you probably have more control with the masks and layers than an automated process - it does take longer though.

Cakey

Reaction score
Pardon me for sticking a size 9 boot in, but as far as I am concerned a photo is a photo is the photo that was taken with whatever lens and recording medium was in use at the time, unedited save for appropriate and modest cropping.

Full stop.

Now that's an art form called photography.

Messing about with images after the event using computer imaging manipulation technology is something entirely different. It's not photography and its certainly not an art. Craft maybe. There's nothing wrong with a craft or a craftsman legitimately proud of his craft and exercising it well.

But its the difference between the art of photography and the work-a-day everyday pixell popping photoshopping craft of image manipulation to suit the commercial or other desires of the photographer. Its not that priceless and irreplaceable and unique microsecond of the real captured by the shutter and lens on that moment. Art that ain't. What do you think de Bresson or Fox would have made of photo manipulation software do you think ?

MarkTheSpark

Reaction score
Pardon me for sticking a size 9 boot in, but as far as I am concerned a photo is a photo is the photo that was taken with whatever lens and recording medium was in use at the time, unedited save for appropriate and modest cropping.

Full stop.

Now that's an art form called photography.

Messing about with images after the event using computer imaging manipulation technology is something entirely different. It's not photography and its certainly not an art. Craft maybe. There's nothing wrong with a craft or a craftsman legitimately proud of his craft and exercising it well.

But its the difference between the art of photography and the work-a-day everyday pixell popping photoshopping craft of image manipulation to suit the commercial or other desires of the photographer. Its not that priceless and irreplaceable and unique microsecond of the real captured by the shutter and lens on that moment. Art that ain't. What do you think de Bresson or Fox would have made of photo manipulation software do you think ?

I agree to some extent, Mr Kipling. Certainly every image should have form and purpose long before it reaches Photoshop. But artistry doesn't end there.
What separeates art from science is precision; there is no 'right' way to make art, it is purely subjective, an interpretation.
If I adjust an image in PS to bring up the dark tones and reduce the highlights, that has a fixed end point; it improves the picture technically. But if I crop the image, or burn in the shadows or vignette it, I choose where to make those adjustments. It is interpretation, and undoubtedly art. Pressing the 'watercolor filter' button to make a pseudo painting definitely isn't.
Photographers including Cartier Bresson have been post-processing images since the year dot. It's not an effort to improve the scene they saw but a way of addressing the inadequacy of photography to capture all the nuances.

Cakey

Reaction score
oops .....that wasnt my rant ,dont know where that come from

---------- Post added at 09:17 ---------- Previous post was at 09:16 ----------

someone is trying to get me in trouble
Id just like to say they have failed as Im always in trouble

Cakey

Reaction score
no one knows my password ......................

---------- Post added at 09:24 ---------- Previous post was at 09:23 ----------

but at 7.14 I was walking the dog.........................

---------- Post added at 09:25 ---------- Previous post was at 09:24 ----------

and I have all the 7o/c club as a witness :D:D:D

Cakey

Reaction score
not just one post ...there are 4 that aint mine

---------- Post added at 09:30 ---------- Previous post was at 09:29 ----------

that means Ive only done 30,995 posts ha ha ha

Cakey

Reaction score
might be someone here ...........I will wait till they get home

---------- Post added at 09:36 ---------- Previous post was at 09:34 ----------

by the way its poo stuck to it !

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
Perhaps you are a sleep walker, and you're logging on in your sleep.
Or
You've got a Jekyll and Hyde complex going on their.
What have you been drinking you mad professor you :D