Help identifying today's catch

davejavu1969

Reaction score
B

binka

There's little doubt in my mind that they are (thin lipped?) mullet, predominantly a coastal and estuarine species of fish which will tolerate freshwater but I would have thought a freshwater lake habitat would be too much for them to tolerate on any long term basis.

Does this lake have a connection or any tidal over wash with the sea?

davejavu1969

Reaction score
now mullet was one thought that entered my mind, then dismissed as frankly ludicrous! However, your description of where the lake is is spot on, the (very) tidal estuary is about 100ft behind me. I was tempted to taste the water to see if it was brackish - but then thought better of it!

Thanks loads for the reply.

DM

B

binka

now mullet was one thought that entered my mind, then dismissed as frankly ludicrous! However, your description of where the lake is is spot on, the (very) tidal estuary is about 100ft behind me. I was tempted to taste the water to see if it was brackish - but then thought better of it!

Thanks loads for the reply.

DM

You're very welcome mate.

I nearly didn't reply as I thought it was a wind up, the sea wash theory was the only explanation I could come up with :)

Welcome to FM by the way, plenty of good lads on here if you ever need a dig out with anything and feel like sticking around.

mikench

Reaction score
Yes it is a Mullet. Binka has advised you well. Must get back to Anglesey soon; fabulous place!

davejavu1969

Reaction score
Hi chaps, thanks again for feedback - don't feel like such a muppet for asking, tbh I'd never have been conclusively sure without asking & it was bugging me!

Anglesey is amazing - weather has been spectacular this week which always helps. I usually fish Glos / Sharpness canal & local carp puddles so it's been a nice change. Was hoping to get out on a boat but a filthy cold sadly put paid to that idea. Will have to return again soon.

DP.

slaphead

Reaction score
Where were you fishing, if you don't mind me asking?

I go to Anglesey quite often, and have fished Llyn Y Gors and Tyddyn Sargent and know of Llyn Blodyn. Don't know of any others.

Welcome aboard, by the way.

Last edited: