Hi and some advice please

sojot

Reaction score
Hi All,

I live near Reading in Berkshire, I’m from Holland originally where I used to fish a lot, mainly for carp. I stopped when I came to the UK in the late 90s (apart from whip fishing with my kids :) ).
I want to pick up fishing again but don't really know where to start. I obviously lost track of all the new carp rigs, baits etc. :).
Don’t see myself getting back into specimen carp hunting, with long blank sessions. Maybe find commercial waters with smaller carp? Try something different, like aiming for Tench or Bream? or perhaps something on the Thames or Kennet/avon when the season starts?

mikench

Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum. It's difficult to avoid catching carp; they are ubiquitous and are to be found in 95% of stillwaters. However those same still waters will contain many other species of fish which, on the right gear, are a joy to catch. A decent couple of feeder rods and float rods of differing lengths will tackle all but the very largest of fish and you would be surprised what they will handle. Gear up for the average and not the exception and you will enjoy your fishing.

I cannot comment on venues as I don't know Reading at all apart from visiting a pal in Sonning. Good luck.

fishface1

Reaction score
Hi,

Reading is a good area for fishing. Lots of gravel pits and rivers.

I’d suggest joining one of the local clubs (Farnham or Reading have lots of water)

Personally, I prefer river fishing, and in your area you have everything from the Thames, to intimate “chalk” streams such as the Holy Brook. The Lodden is probably not the river it was 20 years ago, but I believe there are still good fish to be had.

The Thames seems to be improving and good catches and specimens are caught every year…. Consider getting a boat if finances allow…

Good luck and enjoy

Keith M

Reaction score
Hi,

I’d suggest joining one of the local clubs (Farnham or Reading have lots of water)

Personally, I prefer river fishing, and in your area you have everything from the Thames, to intimate “chalk” streams such as the Holy Brook. The Lodden is probably not the river it was 20 years ago, but I believe there are still good fish to be had.

The Thames seems to be improving and good catches and specimens are caught every year…. Consider getting a boat if finances allow…

Good luck and enjoy
And the river Kennet of course

If your in need for a refresher then it’s well worth a few visits to one of your local commercials to get up to scratch with handling some decent sized lunkers again where you will have plenty of fish to play with.

I would also be a good idea to join the Reading & district Angling Association.

Keith

sojot

Reaction score
If your in need for a refresher then it’s well worth a few visits to one of your local commercials to get up to scratch with handling some decent sized lunkers again where you will have plenty of fish to play with.

Keith
thanks, yeah was thinking about that, do you have any pointers on where to go? and what type of gear?

Last edited:

sojot

Reaction score
Hi,

Good luck and enjoy
thanks, yeah at some point I want to. I have never caught a chub (the area I'm from in Holland only has still water) , I have seen them often in the rivers around here and they look awesome so would like to catch one.

Keith M

Reaction score
thanks, yeah was thinking about that, do you have any pointers on where to go? and what type of gear? Seven lakes or something?
I haven’t fished in the Reading area for years so I can’t advise on venues.

I used to fish the Kennet for Barbel, Chub and Specimen sized Roach regularly and my favourite river was the river Kennet at Thatcham, Theale, Burfield and Newbury and I used to fish there once or twice every week but it’s just a memory now. I live in Hertfordshire now.

Keith

fishface1

Reaction score
When I was a member of Farnham we used to do teach in sessions. Not sure if they still do, but I’d try and get in touch with any of your local clubs to see what they offer.

Tbh, all the info you need is out there on YouTube and the ‘net, but it can be better to see it up close.

When the season opens, you will find anglers on the banks of the Thames, I can’t vouch for how good they’ll be, but a walk along the bank and stopping to chat to them may give you some ideas too.

john step

Reaction score
If you used to fish and have hooked, played, and landed Dutch carp it wont take long to get back into it. Google a local tackle shop and pop in for advice on a starter commercial fishery.
A basic float rod can be labelled pellet waggler/ carp waggler/ carp match and more. Reels are very cheap nowadays and so are bulk spools of line.
A few floats/disgorger/shot and hooks and of course a seat and you will be away. Dont forget a plummet as you need to know where the bottom is!
There is so much on Youtube it can make your eyes go square looking at the screen.

I would recommend the videos by a couple of youngsters called Carl and Alex for beginners. They do a series of basic instruction videos.

Spend an afternoon visiting a couple of commercials gleaned from the internet to whet you appetite.
Rivers and naturals can come later?

Best thing is dont spend too much at first anyway as it can be addictive.

chrisjpainter

Reaction score
Hey there, welcome to the site.

Get yourself down to Angling Direct in Reading. Yerrrs I know chain store blah blah blah. But in there you'll find Allan, who used to run an independent tackle shop and he knows everything there is to know about fishing in the Reading area. I used to live there and I was one of his regulars, although now live in Dorset, so it's not so regular these days! He's a mine of information and also coaches too.

I am a pleasure angler (with a lot of lure on the side!). Always have been and always will be and cut my teeth on the free sections of the Thames (see link below), in particular at Pangbourne (mind the kayaks!) and Scours lane, which is very close to Angling Direct. I'd start with feeder fishing. It's a great technique to start on as rigs are very simple to create and it's a top notch tactic for the Thames anyway. The river's got good variety in it, right the way through of bleak and roach to some nice river carp and even some elusive barbel. And some hefty perch. It's also got a lot of pike, should toothy critters be on the agenda, although it's sadly lacking in the number of big fish it used to have.

There's a lot of variety in the area. Reading and District Angling Association has a lot of club-controlled waters. Some big waters with big fish in it and a lot of stretches of the Kennet and surrounding smaller rivers and canals. Personally, it's not for me. I think the fees are based on the fact that they have some SERIOUS carp in some of their lakes and big barbel in their rivers, so it's a specimen hunter's club these days. That said, their waters still hold other fish too and they have some great waters in gorgeous locations. But for a smaller club with possibly better value for money given the price and waters, have a look at Reading Fishing Club. They have a nice stretch of the Thames and a few lakes, one of which (Tapperns) is a lovely small lake great for chasing carp on the surface. It's also got some good bream and tench in it, so works as a nice all rounder lake that's not overly pressured. The Thames stretch they have often holds shoals of quality bream in it.