Home made boilies

boilies for beginners

Reaction score
Making your own boilies with out any big shopping list recipes and as cheap as you can u can even go to a supermarket to get everything you need ..feel free to help beginners with some tips or recipes please leave your comments and advice to help others feel free to ask questions all beginners are welcome .kind regards boilies for beginners

---------- Post added at 03:11 ---------- Previous post was at 02:43 ----------

Does any one have any interest in making boilies or do u buy shop brought instead which is better ,.?

Keith M

Reaction score
Does any one have any interest in making boilies or do u buy shop brought instead which is better ,.?

Hi BFB,

In the past I always made my own boilies, partly because there wasn't the quality in the ones sold ready made up and partly because I got a lot of satisfaction when I caught good fish using baits that I had made myself. But nowerdays there are some very good boilies on the market and I no longer enjoy all of the hassle of making my own boilees; with all the mess that's involved; so now I buy ready made frozen baits.

I have never had any confidence (or many fish) in the 'off the shelf' boilies (the ones that you don't have to store frozen) so I dont buy them but some anglers swear by them.

I very rarely blank nowerdays using shop bought freezer boilies but that may have a lot to do with the fact that I'm now retired so can go whenever conditions are favourable at a moments notice and I think that makes all the difference.
Plus I think that watercraft and presentation is far more important than the baits flavour as long as the fish recognises it as an acceptable food item (and not a repellant LOL).

NB: I don't always use boilies, I often use pellets (both soft and hard) instead of boilees and sometimes coat my pellets (and my boilies) in a soft paste (halibut, monster crab or 'source' flavours etc.) which slowly dissolve and form flavour trails in the undertow which can sometimes outlast some of the flavour dips you can buy (not all of them).

If I get some time later, and if I can find them, I will try to put up a couple of the cheaper boilee recipes that we used to use back when my mates and I first started experimenting with ingredients back in the early 1980's; if it's any help to you.

Tight lines

Keith

Last edited:

thecrow

Reaction score
Went through the whole making boilies thing long ago, spent a fortune on different base ingredients at one time or another but also went the other way using semo + soya heavily flavoured but only with natural stuff I have no time for chemical smells made up in a lab

I came to the conclusion that there are a couple of things that I have confidence in either in a bait I have made up or infused into a shop brought bait.

I get my bait from 2 places only, both make and sell their own and I can trust that what they say is in the bait is actually in it and it costs no more to include my flavours in a bait (as long as I supply it) than what their bait sells for, to many baits on the market made of crushed acorns :) and other ****.

Interestingly my experience with shelf life baits has been different to Keith's in that I have enjoyed some good fishing on them but they were ones I made myself by using potassium sorbate as the preservative, maybe the shop brought shelf lifes contained bigger amount or some other preservative?

boilies for beginners

Reaction score
Hi Keith, yes please put up your recipes that would be great. I've had many fish on self life BOILIES but as time went buy I seemed to throw more than I used because could not get out on the bank as I don't drive and my mate who normally takes me was to busy etc .then I saw thinking tackle which Danny and Ali make there own boilies and it looked easy so I looked in to it more and came cross some easy and cheap and basic BOILIES to make my own so that's how I started I just had to give it a try and I did and when I had carp on my marmite I was so happy they worked as I did not think they would work at all .it was my partners idea to use marmite she loves the stuff yet I hate it lol it stinks but I'm glad I made them but I do put them in freezer now days .

---------- Post added at 05:57 ---------- Previous post was at 05:35 ----------

The crow, yes and no some self life do have many things in them to prolong there life but it all depends on the company u buy them from really and like u say no one could tell u what are in them or simple would not tell u ,but as I've said above I have had some nice fish on self life , I fish day ticket waters I had my pb at 22lb on a tutti fruity self life on the same lake I tested my marmite BOILIES on it has bout 20 carp from 18 to 24lb I'm not sure below this but the big one is meant to be around 30lb if it is in there that is as no body as seen it lol, it is very busy and very hard to fish many people turn up and blank ..I did use the inline method feeder I had a very good method bait and it was blooming fab but that tackle shop closed down so I can't get it any more ..I used tutti fruity on hook and even plain meat was good in margins and tight up to a island ..kind regards and tight lines