hooklink braid

• Thread starter alan whittington
  • Start date

issimmo

Reaction score
Alan, Sufix Hercu-line is a braid for mainline. I would say to be very carefull when using it coz it can easily cut the barbel's mouth. I think you would better use Silkworm which is thiner than most hooklink materials for 10-11lb BS. But is not that dangerous compared to a line that is made for mainline.
Cheers, Mihai!

D

Dave Slater

Inotice several postings mention Silkworm. Silkworm is great for most baits and I often use it myself but the original post was asking for suggestions for maggot fishing. Personally I think something thinner is the order of the day for maggot fishing and I use Spiderwire when feeder fishing.

M

magicdog

Good point issimmo - the OP was asking about braided hooklengths and mainline braid is not suitable IMO.

I also use Silkworm in 12lb BS...lovely and supple and I've never had a problem with abrasion.

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Sean Meeghan wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

Alan

Give 10lb Drennan sinking microbraid a go - I use it for maggot fishing and it's fine. You'll need a hook with a big eye for braid so try tying a hook before you go to avoid frustration.</blockquote>

Or use the snell knot, I've used it with 10lb Dacron which frays at the end like nobody's business - tied it to size 14 Korum hooks and it worked really well.

Snell.

You can leave a long tag end to use as a hair and you don't even have to go through the eye of the hook at all.