''How could FM be improved''.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Why cant we just right click /cut on a photo and then right click/paste into a forum post window ?

That works on literally everything else I use...email, MS office etc etc...it cuts the image then pastes it into the new window and automatically resizes it to fit the space..if its still too big it lets me drag the corner in to resize it.

Is it really that difficult to make that work here ?

The biggest issue is the dated software, and subsequent updates, that run the forum, particularly if you're viewing via a PC. Viewing via apps, particularly on Android devices can be better and more flexible but gives a very different view of the forums.

As far as I'm aware the current software has been in use almost as long as I've been on here :eek:mg:

Oh! and I think the Tech Team consists of one person and he is shared amongst the other forums in the group.

---------- Post added at 22:59 ---------- Previous post was at 22:37 ----------

For the technically minded....

I think the forum still runs on "vBulletin version 3" plus a whole heap of add ons and work arounds. That probably dates the basic software to the early/mid 2000's, a lot's happened in cyberworld since then so it's no surprise it's clunky on most platforms.

vBulletin is very much forum software of choice but I know the basic version is now up to v.5. I can't imagine v.3 or even v.4 are supported any more.

Donations to Fish & Fly Ltd...... :)

Philip

Reaction score
Well I have been posting since the 90s and would agree that it does appear to be pretty much the same software …although they did manage to screw up my i.d (twice) in what they described as site upgrades !

My guess is the one person tech team is in fact now the worldwide support for the entire application and if he goes under a bus you will never get it back running again as he is the last person on the planet who still knows it !
…I bet he has a great big box of 5 ¼ inch floppy disks to load it from. :D

Jokes aside …. Maybe time to invest some money in some new infra & software ?...it cant be THAT expensive can it ? …its probably costing them more to maintain & support the current outdated setup.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Jokes aside …. Maybe time to invest some money in some new infra & software ?...it cant be THAT expensive can it ? …its probably costing them more to maintain & support the current outdated setup.

No it can't ! :eek:

Upgrade to the current vBulletion v.5 plus Mobile compatibility module = USS568.00 or US$3.00 per ACTIVE MEMBER based on the last 24 hours activity...........

....... because we're worth it!

:wh

---------- Post added at 23:50 ---------- Previous post was at 23:49 ----------

But more importantly, have a read of this...... and get writing! :)

http://www.fishingmagic.com/forums/fm-news-feature-comments/357453-maintaining-standard.html

Philip

Reaction score
No it can't !

Upgrade to the current vBulletion v.5 plus Mobile compatibility module = USS568.00 or US$3.00 per ACTIVE MEMBER based on the last 24 hours activity...........

....... because we're worth it!

$568 !!!!!..they are probably paying the current Mr floppy disk tech support more than that to not fall under a bus and keep the dinosaur churning ! :D

...sounds to me like someone just needs to put together a short business plan for an upgrade...you just need to demonstrate to fish & fly the payback period ...6months, 1 year or whatever....its got to be costing them more to stay like this !!!:eek:

But more importantly, have a read of this...... and get writing!

In fact I have already contributed several articles so I can say I have done at least a little something towards the site. Unfortunately under the current regime the only article I am now likely to contribute would be on a certain subject I am quite sure he wont like so best we don’t go down that road ! Sad but true.

Last edited:

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Mark Wintle.
Peter Jacobs.
Neil Maidment.
Steve King.
Neil1970.
Barbelboi.
Skippy.
Ed Surf.
Ray Roberts.
Ray Daywalker Clarke.
Morespiders Derek.
Greenie.
Dorset chub.
Tee Cee.
Pete Bracket.
Robert roach.
Gaz Chefster.
Graham Elliot.
Ian fishing not catchy.
Fruit owl.
Kevin Perkins.
Windy.
Posh Paul.
Chav professor.
Rubio.

I've probably missed a few out for which I apologise...

All met face to face through this site.

Let's have more fish in days......

Last edited:

trotter2

Reaction score
Not sure how you would improve the forum. I suppose fishing is like any other subject there is only so much you can talk about. After a point its just history repeating it self. I know a lot off forums are dropping off unfortunately.
But its not just forums suffering, magazines, newspapers have gone the same way. Just out off interest what is the attraction with facebook fishing and why would it be any different to a forum like this one?