How did you get on?

qtaran111

Reaction score
After a disappointing Christmas period so far due to a bad back which meant zero hours fishing, I was determined to go today.

Armed with a pint of white maggots for the fish and Tramadol for me, I headed to a favourite spot on the Wandle looking for some Dace and secretly hoping a Chub or two would turn up.

I had two new bits of kit to try out, a really small alloy stem stick float and my 9ft Shakespeare Agility wand rod. Well ****** me, on arrival I realised I'd not brought any float rubbers (blame the Tramadol) so no trotting today.

Instead I set up the wand with one of the lightest tips, 3lb line, size 18 hook with BB shot to enable me to flick it out. Single maggot on the hook and I was good to go.

So new I hadn't even taken the shrink wrap off:
IMG_4877-M.jpg

My view down the Wandle, complete with dumped suitcase (humanity pisses me off sometimes :mad:):
IMG_4876-M.jpg

Wasn't long before the first dace showed up:
IMG_4870-M.jpg

Then they got a little bigger:
IMG_4879-M.jpg

Then all hell broke loose and I was scrambling for my landing net. Small chub I thought at first, but no just a dace on steroids. Probably 8 - 10 oz:
IMG_4880-M.jpg

Finally to top off a cracking day, had a nice silvery blue gudgeon. Lovely:
IMG_4872-M.jpg

Chefster

Reaction score
Well that’s it, the last chuck of the year.

As mentioned yesterday I took to the river in the expectation of it rising again and I wasn’t disappointed given twelve hours of solid rainfall yesterday, I just hadn’t anticipated how quickly and by how much it would rise in such a short period of time.

Still, on the positive side the colour was there and it was this that I needed in order to have any confidence in bagging the desired zander.

Rigged up and ready to go at daybreak and around fifty minutes in to my first chuck (well, more of a “lower” really as I was fishing right off the rod tip as usual but in 10’ of water up to a steep edge) and I had interest on the bream tail which was just on the bottom below a mini Drennan Crystal Zeppler set as a sliding rig…

I had intended to fish open bale on both rods but this right hand rod was causing me problems in that it was catching the edge of an eddy which meant I had to go for a very loose baitrunner instead and despite this it still got me rumbled!

In the couple of seconds it took me to get up and on it the very short distance of slack line had been taken up and with three or four clicks on the baitrunner the fish had felt the resistance, dropped the bait and the float popped back up.

Damn it, that would likely be my one chance blown!

It was early days and so I checked the bait before putting out again and something like an hour and a half later the float very slowly sank and just held below the surface and this time I wasn’t giving it the opportunity and struck into a very satisfying thump coming from down below.

There was never going to be any doubt about the outcome with such strong gear but the usual apprehensions about the fish throwing the hook were ever present and fortunately everything held as the fish gave a spirited and respectable account of itself before gracing the net…

Cracking!

Not a huge fish at 6lbs – 7lbs but the difficult one I had come for to round off the year!

I also managed a pike of around low double figures to a roach section on the left hand rod an hour or so later which was a nice bonus…

By now the rapidly rising river was beginning to take on a completely different personality altogether and an unfriendly one at that with strong back currents and large pieces of debris eddying around and so, with what would normally be the favourite final hour still to come, I decided to cut and run before the heavy rain swept in and I’m pleased I did as I just managed to get home and get the gear unloaded into the garage as it hammered it down.

All in all a great end to what has been a great year :w

And on that note…

The very best of wishes to one and all for a great 2016, tight lines :w :w
What a lovely way to end the year Steve,2 cracking fish mate,brilliant,Happy new year mate...Gazza:thumbs::thumbs:

B

binka

What a lovely way to end the year Steve,2 cracking fish mate,brilliant,Happy new year mate...Gazza:thumbs::thumbs:

Thanks Gaz and a very happy new year to you too mate, tight lines and all the very best for 2016 :w

john step

Reaction score
One of those days!! Two of us putting effort into our piking. Both blanked but............. another club member fishing for roach had a PIKE over 20lb on a single maggot!!! GRRRRR. Thats fishing for you:eek:mg:

Happy new year to you all.

Pete Shears

Reaction score
On the reservoir again - -only one small pike of 8lb 4oz but enjoyed the sunshine but the strong cold SW wind took most of the benefit away. Three white egrets flying around & some lapwings, haven't seen a bullfinch yet in the thick hedgerows yet. Left before the wind really picked up bringing yet more horizontal rain.

robtherake

Reaction score
On the reservoir again - -only one small pike of 8lb 4oz but enjoyed the sunshine but the strong cold SW wind took most of the benefit away. Three white egrets flying around & some lapwings, haven't seen a bullfinch yet in the thick hedgerows yet. Left before the wind really picked up bringing yet more horizontal rain.

There are lots more birds around than usual, later in the year, don't you think? A friend's neighbour's garden is a bit of an avian paradise and there were bullies, chaffinches and goldfinches galore on the feeders when I nipped out for a fag; even long-tailed tits, which I associate more with the approach of spring. Hopefully, the milder winters are increasing survival rates; they could do with a bit of respite, what with pesticides and modern farming methods, which are gradually eating away at their numbers. Of course, I'm referring to my own area; it could be quite different elsewhere.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Back to the lake in Essex yesterday for the 2nd of 3 matches. Had a quick look at the place and the wind was gusting across it looked terrifying. As luck would have it I drew peg 3.
Bottom left in between the trees with a highish bank behind me and the wind on my back. Set up bomb rod with small cage feeder to a 2lb hooklink and size 20 hook. Also set up pole @11m ( as far as comfortable) with .75g bodied float and bulk in 6ft of water. Normally I'd have set up at least 3 top kits with varying rigs but with the horrendous wind I envisaged almost certain calamity.
At the off I potted some damp 2mm micros with a dusting of fish meal groundbait then chucked and clipped up on the feeder line appr halfway across to the spit. Once again the tip caught me my better sized skimmers but the bites were sporadic on double maggot or small worm tipped with flouropinkie.
After the first couple of hours it became evident I was getting battered off both my neighbouring pegs. By now the wind was so strong and the tow on the horseshoe lake was making a mockery of the pole line.
Stuck with the feeder line for the last 2hours and ended up with bigger skimbobs but my 11lb:4oz was dwarfed by the 24lb on my right hand peg and 20lb on my left. Came last again in my section of 6 but 11th out of 26 overall which I was more than happy with considering the formidable opposition.

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
Decided on a quick River Stour sesh today to blow away a few new year cobwebs and test out some recently acquired kit.

I knew Longham was going to be a non runner (or, rather, an excess of running being the issue) so opted for Sturminster Newton and a narrow tree lined section I knew carried little flow and which I hoped might just be a possibility.

On arrival, the water was lapping around the wooden stage I set up on where it should be some 18 inches below. The flow didn't look too bad so I set up an 11ft Drennan Matchpro with a Ryobi Mastermatch closed face reel, 5BB Steve Maher stick and a size 20 Drennan silver fish hook to 1.1lb bottom, with two reds.

I had an awful sinking feeling that this wasn't going to produce today though and 45 minutes of fruitless trotting only served to harden my conviction.

Opening a flask of coffee didn't produce a bite so I knew a radical rethink was required. I set up my trusty 10ft MAP Matchpicker with a Browning 810, 2.6lb main with a 3/4 ounce bomb and hook and bait as before.

A gentle lob a few feet out and the bomb appeared capable of holding bottom.

The tip was nicely poised and halfway through my mug of coffee, a single stab on the tip had me strike into treasure, in the shape of an ounce of angry roach.

I toyed with the idea of trying bread punch but stuck with the Reds and after about two hours, had around 5 tiny roach to my name.

I stripped down the float rod but determined to try and use it again soonest. I was well pleased with its action but today, as said, it didn't feel like it would produce.

After a reasonable start weather wise, the rain came and went and reappeared periodically and the very odd roach likewise, the biggest a stonking 3oz or so.

After listening to some recently downloaded 30s Blues, I began to feel like I'd had enough. I don't really "do" winter, in fact I'd swap it for a decent lawnmower at the drop of a hat.

So, I packed up with around a dozen roach in the bag for a less than grand total of maybe a pound and a quarter - pleased to have got out but even more pleased to get into a rapidly warming car.

I got home to treat myself to tea, some cold lamb and cold roasties, with mint sauce and Branston and the doofah soon gifted me the chance to parachute into Nazi Germany with Richard Burton and Clint Eastwood. New Year's Day? More like Groundhog Day!! Opted for an old episode of Hill Street Blues instead.

Oh well, here's to next time :w Best of luck all and "let's be careful out there....." :)

bracket

Reaction score
Phil. Sturmister Newton always worth a try but obviously not today. So what were the Blues tracks you downloaded? I am a big blues fan. Pete

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
Pete,

Yep, it were an ordeal.

Blues stuff was 1930s Chicago barrelhouse, Albert Ammons and several others. Jughead Boogie, stuff like that and a stack of Art Tatum.

Best,

Phil :)

lambert1

Reaction score
Managed my first session in ages yesterday and it was great to be out again. The scene was not promising with the river very high and the colour of drinking chocolate with lots of flotsam and jetsom. I avoided all the swims with sloping banks and was therefore a little restricted in choice. I had made up a batch of Chav's cheespaste and had high hopes that the pong would attract the Chub, but I am afraid that it did not and neither did some very Garlicky bacon grill either. I was not alone as those that joined me on the banks also had a nil return. It was just one of those days when they were not having it. I still have faith in the paste and will give it another try when the opportunity presents itself. I could have taken some worms as well on reflection, but I don't think it would have made much difference. I had plenty to watch though, with a group of Long Tailed Tits apparently playing a game of tag in the bushes on the far bank, a little Wren no more than a foot away from me, Kites Circling and those perennial party poopers the Canada Geese wrecking the peace and quiet. It was so interesting to note the change in the river and I was still enjoying myself until the rain started again and as it was getting dark, I decided to call it a day. Solid rain for a while now it would seem, but I am raring to go again, first chance I get.:)

neil1970

Reaction score
Out for a quick 40minute session today, trying for my first fish of 2016.
Tipping it down at some points.
I went ultralight and pulled out 4 tiny Perch.
30% of bites converted to fish.
Good fun but happy to be at home drying out!:D

Hugh Bailey

Reaction score
Managed my first session in ages yesterday and it was great to be out again. The scene was not promising with the river very high and the colour of drinking chocolate with lots of flotsam and jetsom. I avoided all the swims with sloping banks and was therefore a little restricted in choice. I had made up a batch of Chav's cheespaste and had high hopes that the pong would attract the Chub, but I am afraid that it did not and neither did some very Garlicky bacon grill either. I was not alone as those that joined me on the banks also had a nil return. It was just one of those days when they were not having it. I still have faith in the paste and will give it another try when the opportunity presents itself. I could have taken some worms as well on reflection, but I don't think it would have made much difference. I had plenty to watch though, with a group of Long Tailed Tits apparently playing a game of tag in the bushes on the far bank, a little Wren no more than a foot away from me, Kites Circling and those perennial party poopers the Canada Geese wrecking the peace and quiet. It was so interesting to note the change in the river and I was still enjoying myself until the rain started again and as it was getting dark, I decided to call it a day. Solid rain for a while now it would seem, but I am raring to go again, first chance I get.:)

Blimey! Substitute Peregrine for Kite and no Canada's but that sounds identical to my blank on NYE!

The long tailed tits were all around 2 or 3 times - landing on the rod, bag , rest etc. Times like this I class it as not really a blank - everything else turned up except the fish!

B

binka

That wasn’t fishing, it was plain endurance and suffice to say that for the second year running I’ve started the new year with a blank.

All the same it was a beautiful sunrise with a fiery sky and certainly one worth getting up for…

And it was the old adage “Red Sky In The Morning, Shepherds Warning” in terms of what was to sweep in later, namely relentless and near horizontal rain on a cold easterly and after seven hours of it I’d had enough.

No real surprise about the blank in fairness with a river almost five feet up and a colour to match, I still say there was a zander in it though especially after finding a nice deep slack but despite having two roach deadbaits out (or parts thereof) on light float rigs I never mustered the slightest bit of interest.

Even this little fella seemed to sense what was coming and decided he was better off under the shelter of my brolly, especially with generous and regular helpings of my caramel shortbread which kept him alongside for the best part of the day…

Never been so glad to be back home!:w

Last edited:

Chefster

Reaction score
That wasn’t fishing, it was plain endurance and suffice to say that for the second year running I’ve started the new year with a blank.

All the same it was a beautiful sunrise with a fiery sky and certainly one worth getting up for…

And it was the old adage “Red Sky In The Morning, Shepherds Warning” in terms of what was to sweep in later, namely relentless and near horizontal rain on a cold easterly and after seven hours of it I’d had enough.

No real surprise about the blank in fairness with a river almost five feet up and a colour to match, I still say there was a zander in it though especially after finding a nice deep slack but despite having two roach deadbaits out (or parts thereof) on light float rigs I never mustered the slightest bit of interest.

Even this little fella seemed to sense what was coming and decided he was better off under the shelter of my brolly, especially with generous and regular helpings of my caramel shortbread which kept him alongside for the best part of the day…

Never been so glad to be back home!:w
Your a brave man Steve!!!and at least you had some company:DHe,s a lovely little fellow:D,No Fishing for me again this week,still got no car:(

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
GUC today for club knock up. Drew at 8 and started at 9 which was the cue for the wind and rain to start. Anticipating bad weather the pole stayed at home as did my seatbox. Low chair and 4m whip huddled under the brolly.

Roach first chuck on the punch then gudgeon a chuck for the next 6 hours.
My peg must have been carpeted with them. I kept thinking a bonus fish or two might turn up but none did. Everything got soaked and maggots were climbing up my arm. I kept thinking I'd go home early as I was freezing cold but hung in there. The rain stopped with 20 minutes to go so it was dry packing up and waiting for the scalesman.
I weighed in 2lb4oz for nowhere.
Those who persevered with the pole did best with the winner weighing in 11lb 7oz.
8 fished...

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
Out for a quick 40minute session today, trying for my first fish of 2016.
Tipping it down at some points.
I went ultralight and pulled out 4 tiny Perch.
30% of bites converted to fish.
Good fun but happy to be at home drying out!:D

Hi You are aware that the Canals & River Trust now say no fishing in or within 20 meters of a lock or lock pond .. i was given the third degree for it last year . :mad:

PG ...

tom_moran

Reaction score
Well I've had a couple of outings lately. I investigated that local tunnel in an evening, went light with the dropshot gear and caught nothing, does look like it may be good in the summer months though. I met the guy who loves in the house that's near it today and It turned out I know him from an archery club I used to go to, he gave me permission to park on his land rather than the main road which is nice.

Next session was bh Monday, me and a few friends went in search of predators because it's 'winter' started off at first light on the Thames at Radcot, too fast, too coloured and not a peep. We headed off to a lake on our club ticket and my mate had what I reckon was a 2.5/3lb perch. Not much else happened in the morning for us, however, there was a guy there fishing a Maggot feeder who pulled out several tench mid December! So after a swift pub lunch and a spirited drive to the nearest tackle shop we returned armed with a pint of red wrigglers and set up a pair of feeder rods. I caught a perch of maybe 1lb and my mate (the git) pulled out two tench. I think the weather has turned enough that the winter tench have gone to sleep but it was good to see.

Most recent session was a short two hours today, I went lazy and fished near a road bridge, unfortunately there was a outflow from the fields going into the canal and it seems all the fish had scarpered, not a bite, I went down to a size 18 hook on the float, tried loads of depths and worms, hemp, prawns, spicy sausage even sweetcorn. But it was nice to get out. Hopefully my next session is a bit more fruitful.

neil1970

Reaction score
Hi You are aware that the Canals & River Trust now say no fishing in or within 20 meters of a lock or lock pond .. i was given the third degree for it last year . :mad:

PG ...

Thats annoying!!

I, and several others, fish directly outside the Canal and Rivers Trust local office, which is right next to two locks...never had a complaint, sometimes employees ask if I've caught anything.

I think I will refer to my favourite quote of all time when baring in mind this bit of legislation.

"Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools."
- Douglas Bader

;)

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
Wryly amused to think what Confucius would have made of canal drop shotting where the lock appears to be the key..........:confused:

Last edited: