How did you get on?

B

binka

Looking on the bright side it was my best ever catch of these flatties in a lifetime on the river, had numerous "singles" but two in a day and on the float is most unusual, never seen it before.

Nice one Mick.

And here are flight's flounders...

"Flight's Flounders"

That's got a great ring to it :)

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
This was the backdrop to my peg on the Thames today on a midweek knock up.

And this was my home for the day....

At least there was some flow and a tinge of colour but it soon bacame obvious the better roach and dace had shut up shop. A week of east winds and some chilly nights put paid to them...
I couldn't get a bite on the short pole line @12' deep with caster or maggot so I switched to my 15' rod and stickfloat at the same depth and ran it through and downstream towards a hanging tree. Bites were towards the end of the run but the fish were tiny. Mainly roach and gudgeon on single flouro maggot.
Tried caster and red maggot but today they only wanted flouros?
Worked hard for the last 4 hours and amassed over 100 fish for just 3lb:3oz and bingo, won my section of 5...

Trousered £60 for that so happy days...

The venue Windsor home park.
15 fished....

Last edited:

robtherake

Reaction score
Back to the roach pool for a few hours this evening - a very frustrating session indeed. :(

My banker swim was taken so I took a walk round. There was activity everywhere, but a couple of roachy-looking fish rolled in front of the very deep peg next door to my intended swim. It's sheltered, too, so seemed like an obvious choice.

I'd set up a couple of 13ft float rods - one shallow, one deep. Started on the inside line, which is 12 feet or so deep at a rod's length, fishing worm over maggot, and fed a second area 3 rods out, keeping a steady fall of grubs going. Hopefully, this long line would produce a decent roach or two later in the day.

Before very long, something took a liking to the lobworm and was putting a decent bend in the rod. As it surfaced for netting the white belly and red in the fins said BIG roach and for a moment I was fooled, but it opened a mouth that was far too wide, even chub-like. On the mat, it was easy to see that there wasn't enough red in the fins, either, and I'm assuming it's an ide: a fish I've never caught before and which went 2-11 on the scales. There aren't supposed to be any ide in here, so I can only assume it sneaked in with some other stockies.

There was no more action in the edge, so I fed with caster-laden groundbait and left it till later.

I picked up the shallow outfit - banded maggot hair-rigged to a size 18 - and started catching immediately. Roach at 3 to the pound, one after t'other and was having a jolly time for a while, till I hit a better fish that surfaced and flapped. Unbelievably, the line pinged back, having broken above the float. :eek: The fish'll get rid of the barbless hook easily enough, but I was bloody fuming at the injustice. This rod went up the bank until I calmed down and the deep rig went back in the edge.

I'd been feeding this area with the odd ball of groundbait and handful of grubs, so wasn't surprised when the float disappeared and I was into a decent perch...which came off at the net. It was rapidly turning into one of those days, so when the next two came off as well it wasn't too much of a surprise. Nothing wrong with the hook, bait not obstructing the point - swing it back out and the float keeps on going....and I'm attached to something significantly bigger and more angry, which takes up a holding position in the middle of the lake....and the line cracks off above the float again.:eek:mg:

So I'm sitting there, muttering to myself, and it occurs to me to check the shot I've been using. There's a mixture of different brands of swan shot, but one in particular was from a tub that was unearthed from the tackle room a few days ago, saving me the bother of getting some more. Not sure of the make, but the edges did seem a bit sharp on close examination. Bother. Anyway, this time it was nearly dark, so I packed up and stomped off home.:D

---------- Post added at 20:36 ---------- Previous post was at 20:30 ----------

Maybe next time Graham, must have a day on the beach at cleethorpes with robtherake,:D

I am not understanding, Mick sir.:confused:

wawaw1867

Reaction score
Dreaded blank today on local river - took some luncheon meat and 2 pints of maggots, tried feeder and float had a few touches then amlost got a perch up to the net then ping - it came off. Oh well there's always next time....

flightliner

Reaction score
Back to the roach pool for a few hours this evening - a very frustrating session indeed. :(

My banker swim was taken so I took a walk round. There was activity everywhere, but a couple of roachy-looking fish rolled in front of the very deep peg next door to my intended swim. It's sheltered, too, so seemed like an obvious choice.

I'd set up a couple of 13ft float rods - one shallow, one deep. Started on the inside line, which is 12 feet or so deep at a rod's length, fishing worm over maggot, and fed a second area 3 rods out, keeping a steady fall of grubs going. Hopefully, this long line would produce a decent roach or two later in the day.

Before very long, something took a liking to the lobworm and was putting a decent bend in the rod. As it surfaced for netting the white belly and red in the fins said BIG roach and for a moment I was fooled, but it opened a mouth that was far too wide, even chub-like. On the mat, it was easy to see that there wasn't enough red in the fins, either, and I'm assuming it's an ide: a fish I've never caught before and which went 2-11 on the scales. There aren't supposed to be any ide in here, so I can only assume it sneaked in with some other stockies.

There was no more action in the edge, so I fed with caster-laden groundbait and left it till later.

I picked up the shallow outfit - banded maggot hair-rigged to a size 18 - and started catching immediately. Roach at 3 to the pound, one after t'other and was having a jolly time for a while, till I hit a better fish that surfaced and flapped. Unbelievably, the line pinged back, having broken above the float. :eek: The fish'll get rid of the barbless hook easily enough, but I was bloody fuming at the injustice. This rod went up the bank until I calmed down and the deep rig went back in the edge.

I'd been feeding this area with the odd ball of groundbait and handful of grubs, so wasn't surprised when the float disappeared and I was into a decent perch...which came off at the net. It was rapidly turning into one of those days, so when the next two came off as well it wasn't too much of a surprise. Nothing wrong with the hook, bait not obstructing the point - swing it back out and the float keeps on going....and I'm attached to something significantly bigger and more angry, which takes up a holding position in the middle of the lake....and the line cracks off above the float again.:eek:mg:

So I'm sitting there, muttering to myself, and it occurs to me to check the shot I've been using. There's a mixture of different brands of swan shot, but one in particular was from a tub that was unearthed from the tackle room a few days ago, saving me the bother of getting some more. Not sure of the make, but the edges did seem a bit sharp on close examination. Bother. Anyway, this time it was nearly dark, so I packed up and stomped off home.:D

---------- Post added at 20:36 ---------- Previous post was at 20:30 ----------

I am not understanding, Mick sir.:confused:
Rob, Graham asked if I was using lugworm when I hed my flounders on the tidal trent, I sort of implied a day at Cleethorpes with you with your rake would be a good idea to gather a few for my next trip on the river.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
This was the backdrop to my peg on the Thames today on a midweek knock up...

image hosting over 2mb

And this was my home for the day....

image hosting over 2mb

At least there was some flow and a tinge of colour but it soon bacame obvious the better roach and dace had shut up shop. A week of east winds and some chilly nights put paid to them...
I couldn't get a bite on the short pole line @12' deep with caster or maggot so I switched to my 15' rod and stickfloat at the same depth and ran it through and downstream towards a hanging tree. Bites were towards the end of the run but the fish were tiny. Mainly roach and gudgeon on single flouro maggot.
Tried caster and red maggot but today they only wanted flouros?
Worked hard for the last 4 hours and amassed over 100 fish for just 3lb:3oz and bingo, won my section of 5...

image hosting over 2mb

Trousered £60 for that so happy days...

The venue Windsor home park.
15 fished....

That's the very swim that I've had a couple of good sessions on recently. Interestingly I too found that the farther down the trot you got the smaller the fish were. Looks like the quality fish have either switched off or moved. 100 fish of the usual stamp there ought to have been good for 15lb +.

robtherake

Reaction score
Rob, Graham asked if I was using lugworm when I hed my flounders on the tidal trent, I sort of implied a day at Cleethorpes with you with your rake would be a good idea to gather a few for my next trip on the river.

Now I see, Mick; I'd better bring a couple of forks an' all.:D

B

binka

I was thinking some sort of secret fish in on Cleethorpes beach had been planned complete with candy floss and kiss me quick hats.

I would have said count me in, had it not been for the hats :)

flightliner

Reaction score
I was thinking some sort of secret fish in on Cleethorpes beach had been planned complete with candy floss and kiss me quick hats.

Wear the hat and I'll bring you a bìg bakewell tart as an extra:).
The other bonus would be the lug could help with the perch quest !

---------- Post added at 09:31 ---------- Previous post was at 09:29 ----------

Wear the hat and I'll bring you a bìg bakewell tart as an extra:).
The other bonus would be the lug could help with the perch quest !

peterjg

Reaction score
Went roach fishing on the river Kennet yesterday. I had caught seven roach when at 7.30pm (pitch black) had another bite on legered bread on size 10 hook. It felt like a big roach, I could feel the jagging that big roach do, though when I netted it it looked too big to be a roach - bream I thought. I layed the net in front of me and with the light of a head torch checked it over, no not a bream, no not a hybrid, after a careful check it was definately a proper roach!!! I reached down for the disgorger and unhooked it, as I did so it flexed and flapped back into the river before I could weigh or photograph it - I was gutted! Pleased that I had actually caught a Kennet 2 pounder but gutted to not know its weight or have a photo. I've caught bigger roach so it probably was not a PB. Judging from its length (about 15 inches) across the oval net I would guess that it was around 2lbs 6ozs. Another lesson learned the hard way.

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score

Took the opportunity while the better half did her voluntary work in the dog trust to use the 4hrs free parking in the town centre by the river.
Perching again. Initially I thought the bleak were absent but after a couple of nice dace they came into the swim and the bucket had enough to start.

So enjoying the trotting that I missed the first dip of the perch float as unusually no prior warning.

Concentrate I sail, putting the silver rod down.

An hour later the perch float started to lift and bob, sign of a perch around. No mistake this time and a good fight and my possible best river perch was in the net. 3.1 and fat and beautifully coloured.

One more missed bite before racing to the car to avoid a ticket.

Lovely.

thames mudlarker

Reaction score

Took the opportunity while the better half did her voluntary work in the dog trust to use the 4hrs free parking in the town centre by the river.
Perching again. Initially I thought the bleak were absent but after a couple of nice dace they came into the swim and the bucket had enough to start.

So enjoying the trotting that I missed the first dip of the perch float as unusually no prior warning.

Concentrate I sail, putting the silver rod down.

An hour later the perch float started to lift and bob, sign of a perch around. No mistake this time and a good fight and my possible best river perch was in the net. 3.1 and fat and beautifully coloured.

One more missed bite before racing to the car to avoid a ticket.

Lovely.

Oh yes, nice one Graham, a quality 3lb+ perch and without the price of a ticket,

Loverly looking fish :thumbs:

B

binka

my possible best river perch was in the net. 3.1 and fat and beautifully coloured.

Nice one Graham that's a lovely river fish.

Quite quirky too in that you, Bob and myself have all taken fish of 3-1 in the space of about a week.

Here's to bigger and better to come for all of us :)

thecrow

Reaction score
Is that now the maximum weight for perch in the country :eek: could it have been the same fish being moved about by perch fanciers :eek: tune in next week to see if it gets caught somewhere else :D