How did you get on?

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
You're very lucky Pete.

The sloe trees locally are without sloes!

Dropped a herring in the Wye first swim and it was picked up immediately. Good fight and came out of the water twice with great leaps.

About 11-12lb estm. Tried a few more spots without success.

barbelboi

Reaction score
I haven’t posted on this thread for a couple of weeks as it’s all been pretty much the same as all the previous pics/writeups on the rivers and streams. Some decent roach and chub, also plenty of dace to 12oz trotting, a few barbel and the odd Reggie. I’ve also had a couple of session for perch using lobs with nothing over around the 2lb mark until today when I changed tactics for a ‘bigger fish or bust setup’ and landed a 3lb 5oz’er caught on trotted livebait (feeding reds) to the edge of some ‘white’ water to the ‘cover’ in front’. Also a backup fish of 2lb 14oz in a short session between 10.30 and 3pm that was fished in a mixture of overcast to quite bright conditions and f in hard work for two fish ..............
oct16_zpsiqjao9ti.jpg

ouse3.5oct16_zpsmuwdeyl9.jpg

B

binka

After a delayed start due to a grumbling hernia I finally made it to the river this afternoon for a few hours trotting for a barbel, allowing for the occasional heavy shower it wasn’t a half bad afternoon…

The set up was the 15’ float rod, ‘pin with 6lb main and 5.6lb Supplex flouro hooklink and an 8 x no.4 stick float down to a size 18 B911X which was alternating between single and double red maggot.

The going was rock hard at first, despite a couple of inches of extra water the river is still gin clear and the first two hours running the stick through had accounted for three small chublets, a blade roach and a perch around the same size.

As things clearly weren’t working out I decided to lay on down the edge and pile the maggot in, a trick which has worked for me many times and good, old faithful whiskers fell for it once again as twenty minutes in and the float slipped away without a blip and I lifted into a nice fish which gave a good account of itself, as they generally tend to do at this time of the year…

No need or desire to weigh it but reasonably confident of a double and a nice, pigeon breasted Trent fish.

After resting and slipping the fish back I re-baited and swung out again, fed six good handfuls of reds and stood waiting for a good half an hour or so before the float went again and this one felt a better fish which put in three strong runs after getting it under the rod tip and within sight of the net each time.

After finally slipping the net under her she came in at 11lb 4ozs…

I fished on until dusk which allowed me one more at around 7lbs just as the light faded…

Very happy with that, all in all it’s been a rough couple of weeks and this was a nice tonic.

The sunset was nice too...

Jerry...

Fantastic perch, well done fella!

:w

Hugh Bailey

Reaction score
Binka,

Probably speak for a few people on here, but your reports & photos are excellent. For those of us who don't get out so often, it makes it feel like we are there.

Please, if you can, keep them coming.

Hoping the forthcoming weeks are kinder than the last!

:)

B

binka

Hoping the forthcoming weeks are kinder than the last!

:)

Many thanks for the kind words Hugh and very much appreciated, I have that "back in business" feel about things for the first time in a while following this afternoon's session :)

flightliner

Reaction score
Another latee arrival on the tidal river this morning. With the biggish tides I've almost been able to set an alarm clock to alert me to a bite.
No exception today with a bite just under an hour after the ebb, a heavy ponderous struggle with what felt like a good fish, then disaster-- a hook pull just as the fish was coming up slowly from the marginal deeps.
Not best pleased but ten minutes after the recast I was in again to the same rod.
This fish wasnt big but it pulled harder than its wieght prooving the old saying that its not the size of the dog in the fight---
That was it, no more, I watched the sun go down like Binka then headed home.

john step

Reaction score
With all my running up and down the country over the last few weeks I really didn't fancy going far for today's trip.
I settled for my local lake and a chance to get my pike head on and get a feel for the tackle that has been stored since the spring.

Size wise it wouldn't have mattered but I had 3 up to 7ish and then a beautiful 18lb+ that did three tail walks.

There was a tawny owl in the trees and a kingfisher for company.

Sorted.:)

mikench

Reaction score
See my last post for how I am getting on!;) However this will be my 1000th post so I must be keen.

Thanks to everyone who has replied to my questions and queries. I continue to learn!:rolleyes:

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
Last 2 trips were shall we say dismal dont think i hit a pound of fish between the 2 trips . ;bp :eek:mg:

Was hoping to be out Sunday but work has scuppered that one so will have to make do with a work party down the pool on Saturday till next Wednesday when i will back on one of my favorite spots on the local canals , Hopefully with a little more sucsess .
:wh:wh

PG ...

Chefster

Reaction score
Last 2 trips were shall we say dismal dont think i hit a pound of fish between the 2 trips . ;bp :eek:mg:

Was hoping to be out Sunday but work has scuppered that one so will have to make do with a work party down the pool on Saturday till next Wednesday when i will back on one of my favorite spots on the local canals , Hopefully with a little more sucsess .
:wh:wh

PG ...
Work is a pain in the ar$e mate:mad:..Ive got open matches on monday and tuesday,then first round(of 8) of the TBF winter league on saturday:D

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
Work is a pain in the ar$e mate:mad:..Ive got open matches on monday and tuesday,then first round(of 8) of the TBF winter league on saturday:D

Yep tell me about it Locks & Safes are my thing they dont normally get in the way but now and then they become a pain but i spose the other way of looking at it it pays for my fishing .. .

PG ...

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
Cool,are you a safe cracker??

I would not say cracker but have been known to open a few (all in the line of work you understand ) but it the mundane yale locks and those horrible pathetic weak uPVC doors that keep me busy i tell everyone that is looking for new doors and windows invest the money and go for proper Wooden jobs far far better .

PG ...

thecrow

Reaction score
I would not say cracker but have been known to open a few (all in the line of work you understand ) but it the mundane yale locks and those horrible pathetic weak uPVC doors that keep me busy i tell everyone that is looking for new doors and windows invest the money and go for proper Wooden jobs far far better .

PG ...

You will be saying that wooden rods are best next :D

B

binka

I’ve enjoyed a great day’s sport but not the target species I’m afraid.

Arrived at the river just before daybreak with a plan to trot maggots for bait fish during the morning and switch over to using them for a big stripey in the afternoon, with all the feed and activity going on it was bound to build up a queue of 4lb+ perch come the time I would be fishing for them :)

Unfortunately the pike and zander had different ideas and my float paternostered live on a single hook rig banked me no fewer than nine pike and two zander, all the pike were jacks between 4- 7lb bar one loner of around 12lb and the zander would have been around 4 & 6lb… I must have missed half a dozen too!

No pictures I’m afraid, such was my belief that the big perch would come along but I can’t honestly say that I didn’t enjoy every minute of it... and a double round of fresh, bankside fried egg sandwiches to boot.

With the intention being to fish until dusk I had exhausted my supply of live baits by half past four and well before I had anticipated.

Looks like I will be back on lobworms again pretty soon after today… :w

john step

Reaction score
Fished my syndi res. with worm and maggot combo on the bomb just to catch anything that came along.
No bites for me or the other two fishing at the normal range and depth .

I decided to do something really silly and cast out to the deep water which goes about 23 feet.

The result was 3 roach and 3 perch with the tip pulling right round.
Nothing huge but I weighed the bag at 5lb 4oz for the 6 fish.

So thats where they hide when the water clears:)

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Nothing to do with silly, John. Just doing what all good fishermen do - thinking outside the box when times get tough. Not a bad weight for 6 fish....

......................and no laying awake at night trying to work out why you didn't cast into deeper water before yesterday!

edsurf

Reaction score
Had a fun session on the Hants Avon this morning , started in my normal swim for chub , nowt in a hour, river gin clear, moved to a fast shallow swim after grayling, a little better three grayling straight away , then in the same swim I hit a shoal of chub averaging around two to three pounds, had eleven out in an hour plus a big brownie, not bad for a few hours morning trotting,the water was not to cold for the time of year so a most enjoyable session.