How did you get on?

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Took a trip over the fields to a local small farm pond to have a session catching, err...., some small fish. There was a very strong easterly chopping up the water that made bite detection on a small dotted down float quite tiring. However, I decided to fish as tight to the bank reed stubble as possible and had quite a few roach and crucians plus a couple of tench that were much too large for the Binka challenge and too small for the other challenge. Fished from 10.30 – 2.30pm, by which time my eyes had had enough.

Blimey, what strain line was you using BB, it looks like thick stuff ! :p

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I find line always looks thicker in photos, this is 0.07 in the pic below.
[/IMG][/URL]

Yeah,your right PC but BB's looks very thick, tow rope'ishly thick :eek:...I think it may well be that fools gold rubish :rolleyes: :eek:mg:

mikench

Reaction score
Had about 10 roach to 12 oz and a couple of very small roach and boy was it windy! But for the sun I would have packed up much earlier but stuck it out. It was a very strong and cold north easterly and really spoilt things. If any item of tackle wasn't pinned /tied down the wind blew it way . Did not like it to be fair but my new rod made up for it( A Hardy Marksman Supero 11ft feeder); a delight to use ; cheers Tigger!:):rolleyes:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Had about 10 roach to 12 oz and a couple of very small roach and boy was it windy! But for the sun I would have packed up much earlier but stuck it out. It was a very strong and cold north easterly and really spoilt things. If any item of tackle wasn't pinned /tied down the wind blew it way . Did not like it to be fair but my new rod made up for it( A Hardy Marksman Supero 11ft feeder); a delight to use ; cheers Tigger!:):rolleyes:

Nice one Mike, it's christened already :w.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It was 3.2lb FF (it was still on the spool from trotting) and .10 reflo on the end...........

3.2lb, your havin' a laugh, it looks like beach casting gear ;).

Now if you'd used some proper line you'd most likely have caught some proper fish :).

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
6lb Sensor on your recommendation ..........;)

It was 3.2lb FF (it was still on the spool from trotting) and .10 reflo on the end...........

I think you should rebrand your line FFS.:)

thames mudlarker

Reaction score

Nice one Mike,

Ian " tigger " told me that he met up with you in the fishing shop and that you purchased the Hardy rod, what a loverly rod and I bet it was a joy to use :thumbs:

Well done mate

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Nice one Mike,

Ian " tigger " told me that he met up with you in the fishing shop and that you purchased the Hardy rod, what a loverly rod and I bet it was a joy to use :thumbs:

Well done mate

He's only gone and treated himself again today, I won't say what with incase it's a secret :wh :D.

mikench

Reaction score
No secret Ian as the wife never looks in here. A Hardy Marksman Supero 14ft float arrives next week ready for my trotting forays. When I bought it I had forgotten I had made a bid for one of the original Marksman 14ft float:) Thankfully I have now been outbid:) Even I can have too much of a good thing:rolleyes: its good knowing you Ian but expensive:rolleyes:

I am thrilled with the rod Stuart and just hope I can do it justice. I hate the epithet " all the gear but no idea"

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
its good knowing you Ian but expensive:rolleyes:

Now that did make me laugh Mike :D....I get the distinct impression I may be being used as a scapegoat ;) :D.
To ease the pain of blowing money on tackle I just think if i'd spent it on a day out or a meal etc, it's gone and that's it, but the tackle is still there to give me days out over and over again :D.

mikench

Reaction score
Still less than the price of a dress or gym stuff or almost anything women buy. A rod is far better value;)

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Fortunately Mrs S does not understand the concept of owning something simply for the pleasure of owning it. She doesn't do bags,shoes,jewellery etc refuses to pay silly money for clothes and as a consequence is extraordinarily cheap to run.

So......I reckon it would be rude of me not to pick up the slack in the joint disposable income.

But get back on topic before Simon sends us all to the naughty step for hijacking his beloved HDYGO thread.

Last edited:

qtaran111

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I haven't posted in a while as been busy either fishing or doing other sh*te.

I missed the last day of the river season, so yesterday headed down to my folks to fish one of the stillwaters me and my dad belong to. Boy was it a day of mixed emotions. Let me explain...

We've both belonged to this little club for a while and a couple of weeks back a one line email was sent stating that's it, it's closing. No one seems to know why, whether it's for good or not, all very mysterious. There are rumours of building work, flats, who knows what. I feel in my bones it'll be gone for good or will return as an "exclusive" (i.e. ££££) club.

So 7am off we went. It's a funny old place really, two small lakes at the back of an ancient (crumbling brick) industrial estate. The weather was OK in the morning, not too cold, cloudy but not raining. The only problem was the wind which was gusting and made float fishing a bit of a pain (lost a favourite in a tree but managed to get it back with the landing net).

We set up in the far corner swim which is one of the bigger ones and easily accommodates two:

IMG_2490-L.jpg

We were both using similar tactics, leger or method near features (sunken trees, deep spots etc) and float fishing for silvers in the margins. The silvers were fairly quiet although we both had a dozen or so smallish roach each. After a while my margin swim went dead before my float sailed off sideways and I hooked into something more substantial. After a few worrying minutes of my float rod looking like an umbrella handle I finally netted a very battle-scarred tench, about 2-3lbs. Despite the scarring he was lively enough.

IMG_2493-M.jpg

There's no pike in the lake but there is a resident heron who is probably the culprit

Legering was a bit more successful producing a few decent commons and mirrors, the biggest of which was a mirror just under 13lbs:

IMG_2508-M.jpg

IMG_2501-M.jpg

IMG_2488-M.jpg

Afternoon saw the sun come up and it turned into a beautiful day. We packed up around 5:30 and as we trudged back to the car reminiscing of the days we've spent on this lake and realising this would probably be the last time fishing it, I took one final look before heading home :(

IMG_2502-L.jpg

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'd say the biggest problem for the tench was it's mouth damage.