How did you get on?

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Its not the bobbins or rig Ray.....its finding the buqqers and persuading them to pick a bait up or waiting until they decide they are going to feed. Many times me and the Big Man have sat there with nothing happening only for something ,light levels probably,to trigger a feeding spell and had simultaneous runs. Likewise you can sit there with your baits almost touching and yet one of you will get runs and the other not.....and often on one particular rod. I have sat there runless while our mate Big Dave has had 8 fish all to his left hand rod.......they can be that localised and they are exceptionally cute.

Like I said....its like poker. They're not particularly riggy.......just very fussy and downright bloody minded for most of the time. Its challenging to say the least but I do enjoy it....I think ?

mick b

Reaction score
Skip, have you tried circles on a 1-2" bridle/hair ?

If you haven't and wish to experiment I can give you a few suitable hooks when your at the fish-in. ??

stu_the_blank

Reaction score
The sunshine drew me out for a few hours today. I think that soporific is the word, I could have happily dozed off and I think that most of the fish had! One run, one jack.

Stu

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
Went down to fish the Salwarpe.......................................competition on the river........................................WTF, there's only me and the otters that ever fish it :( Now, the pools are normally fully booked, they hold a good head of Carp plus other species) so I spoke to the owner who advised on pegs and even threw in a bag of pellets.

Had a six hour session resulting in around a dozen Carp up to about 8lb, more Perch than I could count but nothing over 8oz, seven Roach to around 12oz, 3 Rudd (lost one around 1lb) and a solitary Gudgeon which I had no scales to weigh but was a personal best by a country mile, pretty happy as my strongest line was 6lb and nothing bigger than 14 hooks to 4lb, (every time I use them I become more impressed with Kamasan "Animal" hooks to nylon:)
All caught on Maggot and Worm.

Not what I intended but TBF an enjoyable session

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Skip, have you tried circles on a 1-2" bridle/hair ?

If you haven't and wish to experiment I can give you a few suitable hooks when your at the fish-in. ??

I was thinking about trying circles.I'll take you up on that Mick,cheers. Not too big mind.....Max hook size is a 4 but I usually use a 6 (Raptor or Mixa B) both of which are very sharp straight out of the packet.

law

Reaction score
I did alright today.
Managed 2 tench. One just under 5lb and the other just over 4, a nice 1lb 6oz roach/rudd hybrid and around 20 other rudd between 6oz and a pound.

Sadly none of the lakes big perch, nor any rudd small enough to use as bait for the perch! Typical.

The Runner

Reaction score
Fished club match "Silvers Only" on Royal Berkshire Fisheries, coming 4th with 18-10 of roach, mostly on caster at 5m.
Frustrating day, drew pretty much exactly where I didn't want for a silvers match, on the narrow swim between the lilies and the aerator on the left hand bank, which was as usual solid with carp. Usually in a match here the carp back right off and you need to be really tight to the far side to catch them- not today you didn't ! Had loads of carp cruising in front of me all day and the roach wouldn't settle. Every time I started to put a run of fish together a couple of big shadows would appear for a mooch to see what all the activity was and the swim would go dead for a while. Being so narrow across to the island, about 10-11m, I did try feeding heavily with 8 mil pellet tight over to keep the carp over there but it didnt work- it just meant that there were more of them close to my second line at 8m when I went onto it...
Top three were in a line at the opposite end of the lake, 35 lb, 28 lb and 22 lb. Kev Burroughs who won it has had a lovely weekends roach fishing- he had 35 lb of them yesterday as well in a 5 hour pleasure session on the Thames at Laleham.
Special mention to our chairman, two pegs to my left today. Irrelevant on the day, but getting a double figure carp out on 4m whip isnt something many of us have done.

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
Wind Blown :( to put it mildly

5 fish in total 2 nice roach around 1.5 lbs each 3 stripey's or as i have now decidede to rename them stripus ganetus no matter how big the hook and how small the fish the hook swallowed completely .. :eek:mg:

greenie62

Reaction score
2 nice roach around 1.5 lbs each 3 stripey's or as i have now decidede to rename them stripus ganetus no matter how big the hook and how small the fish the hook swallowed completely .. :eek:mg:

Hope you took good care of those roach - they could be the last two in there! :eek::):D

littleal

Reaction score
Managed to get myself down to Larford Lakes today for a pleasure session (wouldn't want to show everyone else up in a match... Obviously ;)...) there was a big Maver match on the speci lake and a club match on one side of the match pool - living me with the only non submerged peg on the far side of the match pool.
Got there early, cast to a nice spot and was getting nothing. Moved closer in and started picking up plenty of care between 3.5 and 5lb.
The wind was a ****ing nightmare, really struggled to spot bites... Can't wait to go there on a still day, suspect my landing net will be a lot busier!
Great place though!

nicepix

Reaction score
We went off in the camper to the River Charente in the Cognac area on Friday for a weekend away. The forecast was 26C and for once it was right. Sunny all weekend. Sadly the previous week's rain had not put any colour in the river. The river is crystal clear and that put paid to my hopes for any barbel.

I had my usual two travel rods; a JW Quiver / Avon and the heavier Youngs Barbel version. Bait was a few tins of sweetcorn plus pellets and some home made boilies. However, when we got to the lock where we were parking up I got the idea that there might be some stripeys hiding around the lock gates so I took a rod rest and did a bit of worm charming and managed to tempt 6 wiry lob type worms to the surface.

Larry didn't have any success luring any perch from the lock gates and decided to make his own way in life shortly after when I was casting to the far side of the canal section. Bernard didn't fare much better. He only lasted half a dozen casts. Damned barbless hooks! Big Barry, the largest of my brood tangled himself in some roots and cost me a hook. That left me with one good sized worm and two little 'uns. Albert was dispatched to the edge of some weeds a few seconds after I had noticed a swirl in the very location. Six seconds later he was engulfed by a 6oz bait robbin' chub :mad:

Naturally I moved from the scene of the crime, to the other side of the lock gates where Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum were paired up and cast into a gap in the ever increasing leaf raft. The float quivered and dipped and my task was complete. It was about 26oz less than the 2lb fish I had hoped for but a perch nonetheless so a victory was claimed. Only the second I can remember catching since coming to France and the first by design.

A quick ruffle through the bag revealed a small (1") plug and that was used to work the area near to the lock gates for a total result of one hook up and loss and one knock but nothing landed.

Next afternoon, despite having searched the river for 2km each way in vain for les barbeaux I spent a fruitless 3 hours ledgering in the main current of the river using pellets and sweetcorn without even a knock. So I decided to make some inroads into the huge numbers of roach that could be seen, some hanging like ships at anchor and other cruising sedately up and down the canal arm downstream of the lock. Banded 4mm pellet was found acceptable to the gardons of the Charente and I amused myself all evening getting nearly as many bites from mozzies and midgies as roachies.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
The late Kevin Ayers once sang; 'It begins with a blessing and ends in a curse'
18 peg match today silvers only on the dam wall at a big Northamtonshire ressie.
Drew end peg.
Drew windiest peg.

It was more like fishing off the rocks at the seaside..

Weighed in 6lb:8oz of roach for nowhere...

38lb won.

Last edited:

The Runner

Reaction score
The late Kevin Ayers once sang; 'It begins with a blessing and ends in a curse'
18 peg match today silvers only on the dam wall at a big Northamtonshire ressie.
Drew end peg.
Drew windiest peg.

It was more like fishing off the rocks at the seaside..

Weighed in 6lb:8oz of roach for nowhere...

38lb won.

Sounds like "Shouting in a (bait)Bucket Blues" might have been an appropriate song of his as well....

neil1970

Reaction score
2 hours this afternoon down the river.

One little jack engulfed a 6" cannibal shad lure, (which I lost later to a tree):rolleyes::D

law

Reaction score
Had an hour spare so popped to the local river with a pocketfull of lures.
Bizarrely, I had a rudd of about 10oz on a Meps!

barbelboi

Reaction score
Trotted the Colne from 11.00-15.00 today. Somewhat slower than previously this season (cold night last night) 8 roach, 7 perch and a couple of dace and gobios. The savior of the session was a 5lb 4oz chub that I managed to 'unsnag' three times before it eventually snapped the 1lb 8oz hooklink right on the size 20 just as I got it in the net.....

neil1970

Reaction score
I had a pleasnt day today.

Met my dad down the weir at 10am.

I tried spam on the hook for a while and then switched to the ineviable (for me:eek:) maggot feeder.

Three fish fell to it. Gudgeon, small barbel and small perch.

After a nice pub lunched we walked the backwater and upper stretches of the Colne for an hour, where I nabbed a jack of about 2lbs with my favourite lure.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Neil, almost took the path past the weir but decided on 'route 61' as closer to where I intended to fish.....