How did you get on?

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
4lb Ralph.

Let me know when you're down this way.

mikench

Reaction score
You are right Ian! Out of deference to the Tench and as it made my day, I thought it churlish to comment on its damaged mouth caused in the manner you suggested!:) it certainly fought well and was returned with no further damage!

fishplate42

Reaction score
4lb Ralph.

Let me know when you're down this way.

It looks like it will be earlier rather than later as it looks as if the weather is going to be more agreeable at the begging of the week, I will let you know and maybe you can help me land a nice 4lb+ chub :rolleyes:

How is the water level in the pool? It is hard to see from a fleeting glance from the road, but it look higher than last time I fished it a couple of weeks ago.

Ralph.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
There are 2 ways to get to Molesey from where I live, either down the M25/M3 and over Hampton court bridge or M25 exit at Staines and over Walton bridge.
Well this morning both bridges were closed due to the RideLondon cycling event...
So at 8:30 I got to Walton bridge and turned off onto the riverbank which was open....

It all looks very different since they built the new bridge but at least the parking is still free. I set up just upstream of the bridge with my 15' ultra lite and big 12" peacock waggler...

https://s6.postimg.org/u60445bup/image.jpg

Trotting the big waggler set 10' deep wasn't easy in the downstream hooly but I managed to catch some nice dace and roach on caster then a big perch on double maggot.

https://s6.postimg.org/b8khqw85d/image.jpg

Last edited:

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
There are 2 ways to get to Molesey from where I live, either down the M25/M3 and over Hampton court bridge or M25 exit at Staines and over Walton bridge.
Well this morning both bridges were closed due to the RideLondon cycling event...
So at 8:30 I got to Walton bridge and turned off onto the riverbank which was open....

It all looks very different since they built the new bridge but at least the parking is still free. I set up just upstream of the bridge with my 15' ultra lite and big 12" peacock waggler...

https://s6.postimg.org/u60445bup/image.jpg

Trotting the big waggler set 10' deep wasn't easy in the downstream hooly but I managed to catch some nice dace and roach on caster then a big perch on double maggot.

https://s6.postimg.org/b8khqw85d/image.jpg

I fished that very spot by Walton Bridge some 49 years ago:eek: does look very different with the new bridge.

B

binka

I’ve been very under the weather since Friday but managed to get out yesterday in search of a big stripey although I ended up cutting short on the session and heading home early after continued profuse sweating and a banging head, I caught plenty of fish on a different river to normal but just not the target species.

I’m convinced they will be there though and autumn may well be a better proposition in terms of an opportunity to bag a good one from that particular river.

Suffice to say I made no plans for today, I was up just before 6am and after a brew I took the unusual step of returning to bed until around 10am when I resurfaced and sat around for a few hours trying to decide on whether or not to head out again.

The weather forecast wasn’t great with thunder and torrential rain but what the heck I would only have been moping around at home otherwise.

I was fishing for 4pm in a swim that has been kind to me all season and to the best of my knowledge has remained completely undiscovered and true to form ‘old faithful’ produced for me once again.

1lb tc light Avon, the ‘pin with 6lb line on it and a 3/8oz bomb just under-armed off the rod tip with pellet hookbait and feed by hand over the top was the usual very basic approach :)

My first buckle over came after around half an hour but I lost the fish to a hook pull, I have my suspicions it may well have been a river carp but I was soon back in action with another wrap over which produced a fish of around 8lbs which typically ran me first downriver, then across it before powering back up and eventually above me where I could then turn the pressure up a couple of notches and bring him back with the flow nicely to the waiting net all bar the usual tug of war right under the rod tip.

I had elected to leave the brolly in the car as things were looking quite settled when I arrived but boy did I cop for it when the first of many thunder storms rolled over, the weathermen had said torrential rain but I think biblical would have been nearer the truth with what seemed like a wall of water falling which snapped a not unsubstantial bow of a large tree opposite under the sheer weight of it all and dumping it in the water with a good old crash!

The unhooking mat did a poor job of doubling up for an umbrella and trying to find the purchase of your thumb against a soaking wet ‘pin rim whilst playing a barbel did make for an interesting time and I think it’s the first time I’ve played one whilst in the full throws of a thunder storm which, all things considered, wasn’t the unpleasant experience that the circumstances might suggest and all very atmospheric.

Three and a half hours later and I had banked five barbel, one of around 5lbs and the rest between 7 ½ to 9 ½ lbs but being soaked through to the skin had introduced some limits and I made good my escape at around half seven during one of the lighter periods of rain.

In all honesty I thoroughly enjoyed the whole thing!

Not the biggest of the session but certainly a rather stunning example imo…

413489219.jpg

Back home nicely dried off, changed and I’m beginning to feel better already… :w

Teabreak

Reaction score
Another pleasant evening on the Thames. Had to use up some maggots/casters left over from Thursday. Nothing but roach on the feeder and only one decent one but I enjoyed it. Had one massive bite and hooked into something that took all of 2 seconds to break the line. My time will come fishies

rubio

Reaction score
Hi chaps, and others.
Short report much as before, been catching some crucians and small carp. Did drop on the river last night for an hour, managing one small roach and a decent chub about 4lbs.
Plan a bit of 'holiday fishing' down dorset way. Hope there will be summat to report.

Pete Shears

Reaction score
Back on the reservoir again this morning,a large carp leapt twice in the far margins but I was hoping for the tench again.Two method feeder rods cast out and settled back in a cool S wind and soon both bobbins were going berserk and small roach were responsible.
Switching one rod to a pink pop-up had a tench go for it after only a few minutes but it rolled and swirled on the surface and shook the hook out which I checked - bloody sharp as the end of my thumb told me.Watch up to ten white egrets stalking the margins and befriended a fledgling robin.As I was watching two buzzards soaring above the water,the other rod, with plastic corn on it, went mental and had a 3lb 8oz male tench to show for it - still full of beans when it was released.Back tomorrow for another crack at them.

barbelboi

Reaction score
I spent a few hours yesterday and today trotting (slowly - a bit of colour from the rain but very little movement) a small local river (rather than the backwaters of as late) as it is very overgrown and gives some respite from that efin wind. I decided to target chub as I don’t want to p1$$ Ian off with any more pics of dace for a while.;)
1augise3.jpg

For it’s size it’s keeps some depth along this stretch with quite a few holes over 7’ deep and lots of overgrowing trees and shrubs. Also no X-lite here, it’s hard enough seeing over the bankside vegetation when you’re standing up so it was a couple of sessions of foot slogging/standing /crouching covering likely spots – then moving.
1augise4.jpg

1augise5.jpg

Armed with the Titan2000, pin, small bag of bits, net and some reds I managed to net 11 chub over the two sessions – together with a few ‘lets, dace and roach. That’s it ‘til next week as that wind is forecast to get even stronger over the next few days
1augise1.jpg

1augisechub2.jpg

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Well done Bb! When you say small river you are not exaggerating !;) How do you find them?

I take my hat off to BB, must do more foot slogging than any other member in search of out of the way waters, I guess many rarely fished.

Wish I wasn't an ex town boy who in reality is a bit of a woos and today's trip proved the point.

For some considerable time I've been trying to discover whereabouts on my local free stretch of Stour where the barbel can be found. It seems a small but very exclusive club made up of a few locals who are most secretive about the lairs where these princes of the river reside. After a lot of research and using social media to its best advantage I've managed to find someone who was prepared to spill the beans, man alive! not only did he give me precise locations but a concise breakdown of technique, rigs and baits. It was only after our lengthy communication can I truly understand why these lads don't like to publicise such things.

Now might not be the optimum time to fish for these fish on this stretch but I just had to go and have a reccy with the possibility of a dangle so this morning left the gear in the car and walked the walk, this is where BB would come into his own. A single well trodden path had a few points where it veered off towards the river and it was clear to see that the vegetation had seen a visitor or two but even so I couldn't (or more precisely wouldn't) get any nearer the river than about 10 metres from the bank with bramble and nettles towering above my head. No way was I going to proceed, and this was without even carrying some gear! I'm of an age where I need to know what's underfoot before planting a boot into the unknown:eek: Maybe as the seasons change the jungle will thin out a bit and I'll be back to try again.

Let alone having never caught a barbel I have yet to even see one so it was a despondent walk back to the car having not even clapped my eyes on the water. At least I know where they are, allegedly!

Fortunately I had brought the whip along and headed to my usual residence over the past few weeks at the weir. A couple of hours spent catching small perch, roach and dace but one dace wasn't small at all, maybe 8 to 10 ozs, easily a pb for me..........cheered me up a bit.

Last edited:

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score

After driving the 10 miles up to this new to me stretch of the GUC yesterday for a recce I thought I'd give it a go today. The spot I fancied, a widened spot which is used as a turning bay for the longboats, was occupied by another angler when I arrived. I had a brief chat with him and he told me in pidgin English that he was only catching small roach on his float fished maggots.
I walked back to the spot above and set up my bomb rod with Arsleley bomb and worm rig and chucked it across to the moored boats but only managed to find gudgeon and mini perch. In the meantime I had been pinging hemp and caster down the track in front of me and after a while I set up my 5m whip to hand.

image.jpg

Whilst eating my sarnies I continued pinging hemp and the odd pinch of casters into the swim, fish were beginning to swirl on the surface and there was some fizzing coming up from below. First couple of chucks with caster on the 20 hook I found the swirling was in fact bleak so I bulked my shot to get it down quicker.
I soon started catching small roach so I upped the feed rate which seemed to work as the roach got bigger and the bites more confident. For the next four hours I was bagging with netter roach and dace. It made such a nice change to use the whip today I thoroughly enjoyed it apart from the odd rogue heavy shower which kept passing over....

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I spent a few hours yesterday and today trotting (slowly - a bit of colour from the rain but very little movement) a small local river (rather than the backwaters of as late) as it is very overgrown and gives some respite from that efin wind. I decided to target chub as I don’t want to p1$$ Ian off with any more pics of dace for a while.;)
1augise3.jpg

For it’s size it’s keeps some depth along this stretch with quite a few holes over 7’ deep and lots of overgrowing trees and shrubs. Also no X-lite here, it’s hard enough seeing over the bankside vegetation when you’re standing up so it was a couple of sessions of foot slogging/standing /crouching covering likely spots – then moving.
1augise4.jpg

1augise5.jpg

Armed with the Titan2000, pin, small bag of bits, net and some reds I managed to net 11 chub over the two sessions – together with a few ‘lets, dace and roach. That’s it ‘til next week as that wind is forecast to get even stronger over the next few days
1augise1.jpg

1augisechub2.jpg

Very nice BB, great pic's bud :).

Maybe it's an optical illusion but the banks of the river in your pic's look void of nettles, I wish the river banks round here where free of nettles, I hate the effin things!

barbelboi

Reaction score
Maybe it's an optical illusion but the banks of the river in your pic's look void of nettles, I wish the river banks round here where free of nettles, I hate the effin things!

Ian, this is the only recent water that has been - TBO I never really thought about it 'til you mentioned it - but yes, I didn't get stung for a change..:)

Just to the rear is what is obviously an unfished still water of around one and a half acres. It is surrounded by reeds with no break/path through them at all. I only had on my old 90's John Wilson (above the knee ) wellies - remember them - But next time I'll take the chesties and have a longer ponder. There are fish there (some topping) but 'what' is yet a mystery.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Ian, this is the only recent water that has been - TBO I never really thought about it 'til you mentioned it - but yes, I didn't get stung for a change..:)

Just to the rear is what is obviously an unfished still water of around one and a half acres. It is surrounded by reeds with no break/path through them at all. I only had on my old 90's John Wilson (above the knee ) wellies - remember them - But next time I'll take the chesties and have a longer ponder. There are fish there (some topping) but 'what' is yet a mystery.

Your lucky to have mystery waters like that....i'm not jealous but I am envious. I'd love to investigate places like that. The few I have always seem to be full of rudd and perch but you just never know, especially round your neck of the woods :cool:.

Yeaph, I remember seeing those wellies for sale on masterlines web page a few years ago. I wish i'd got a pair to be honest as that knee pad thing looked like a great idea. I have a pair of waders that are pretty much banjaxed but I think i'm gonn'a try cutting the tops off in that same shape as Wilsons and try patching the leaks up lower down the boot.

skov

Reaction score
Headed out into the fens yesterday evening for what can only be described as a catalogue of errors...
The first of which was trying to make a clearing in the bank side reeds using my bare hands.
After clearing said reeds I looked down to see two bloody stumps where my hands used to be. Ok, it wasn't quite that bad, but they were streaming with blood and looked like I'd been grasping at razor blades :eek:

I won't bore you too much with the rest of the details, but they mostly involved battling with weed when I should have just changed swim, tactics, or venue :rolleyes:

seth49

Reaction score
Delayed start yesterday,due to a thunderstorm and torrential rain, finally got away at half twelve, the roads were flooded in places, not to deep though, and yet half way to the fishery, the roads were dry, it hadn't rained.

Talked to a chap I know who was fishing, he said there had been one shower earlier and that's all, anyway mick decided to just fish for the carp, and I thought I'd do a bit of float fishing to start with and change to carp later.

Very slow on the float, just skimmers ,small roach, and small perch, later on mick called me to take a photo of a nice carp he had caught, nice fish of twelve pounds, nine ounces, and a very yellow coloured belly and flanks, carried on with the float for a while, and then the carp showed up on the pellets I'd fed close in.

So changed to the carp rod, the first one came of after a short while, then I had one about ten pounds,nice common, and the another of eleven pounds four ounces ,mick then shouted he'd got a good one, could I net it, so reeled in and walked over, it was fighting well, had him all over the pond, netted it it was a fifteen pound common a real chunky fishin great condition.

Went back to my peg and had another screamer of a run, surprise to see a crucian of over a pound, and that was it starting to go dark, by the way how can I post photos now I can't use photoshop, iPad friendly would be nice.?