How did you get on?

puffer_

Reaction score
My first toothy critter from the Trent & Mersey canal!

Took a roach tail

k0uW6LV.jpg

vW2kBHz.jpg

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Great photos puffer....

Usual Saturday morning haunt today with my friend and neighbour. Bright sun and little in the way of wind. The fallen leaves, although it hasn't started in earnest, were a pain in the arris with my ultra fine canal rigs.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Started off down the track with punch taking small roach and chublets but the bleak became infuriating after a while. I had been pinging maggots across to the far shelf all the while and decided a change was in order. First put in with the shallower rig and the little float buried, a streak of yellow hydro elastic was yanked from my pole tip in the direction of the far bank, was this the big perch I've been hoping for?
No, but not bad..

image.jpg

This was immediately followed by a smaller one and from then on I got bleaked out every put in. Back on the punch line a few better roach and skimmers showed up as the shadow of the trees darkened the track..
Ended up with a fair netful but nothing big...

image.jpg

puffer_

Reaction score
Cheers Peter, they came out OK for saying they were taken on my phone camera, which is usually pretty ****.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The learning and constant practice finally paying off?

Seems only a few days back I was heading home with my tail between my legs for a piece of incompetent fishing only to be greeted by a FM Bad Angling award.

I've had a few decent days since but today was particularly satisfying. I've spent a great deal of time either fishing or just observing the Stour running through the city attempting to learn the habits of the fish, where they hide out and how different conditions have an effect on their behaviour.

Unusually I was sharing the stretch with three other lads today, all seeming competent anglers. The conditions have changed with for the first time in a long while a bit of colour and flow in the river, you'd think it would be good for catching a few but it wasn't with none of us finding the elusive chub who had hunkered down well out of sight for whatever reasons. I wasn't about to accept a "blank" and with modified bait and rig coupled with much practice over the weeks managed to get my bait rolling underneath a willow that was offering sanctuary with branches stooping almost below the surface. Instant reaction with a nice straightening of the line followed by a nice little battle resulting in a 4lb chub in the net.

Two more followed from similar swims over the next hour. Met up with the lads who hadn't had any success and was only to happy to share my news of a few fish in the net.

No tail between the legs today, infact just a slight smugness and a nice feeling that I'm starting to understand watercraft and the fine adjustments are starting to pay off.

No photos, we've seen these chub before, just waiting for that 5lb pb.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Just back from a week in Keffalonia which is every bit as beautiful as people told me it was.....though I could have done without the hairpin bends tbh and the fact that to get just about anywhere involes driving up a bloody mountain with a precipitous drop about a foot from your wheels ! It certainly keeps you awake believe me !

Anyway.....i had to have a go so I bought the most execrable and cheapest telescopic rod n reel combo i could find and managed a couple of hours a day messing about in the local harbour. I bought a very dusty pole rig with a small chubber type float and the smallest hook I could find....about a 14 I guess and armed with this went winkling about with a bit of bread. I guess the biggest fish I had was about 6 ounces but the number of different species was amazing. I even managed to lose a decent fish and got smashed by a thing that set off for Ithaca as soon as I hooked it. I now get the fun of fishing for mini species and I have got to get myself a little travel or Tele rod for future holidays.

Among the various little blokes I had were about 10 different species of what I guess were some sort of wrasse, some Palermo, bream, comber, micro mullet, a solitary garfish but by far the highlight were some Mediterranean rainbow wrasse. Absolutely stunning colours....look em up.

So...im now after a half decent travel or Tele rod. Must be ultralight for maximum fun from these little blokes. I have a little dropshot rod which would have been ideal but its 2 piece and any rod would have to be 4 piece to fit in the suitcase.

Any suggestions ?

Last edited:

puffer_

Reaction score
Had half hour in the rain at a little brook on my ticket, just to try and re-live my youth a little. Caught a few little chub, biggest probably [just] 1lb.

Great fun though, loved it.

AY44lpk.jpg

k43kp01.jpg

jimlad

Reaction score
Got out this morning for my first attempt at wear chub (other than one or two half hearted attempts a year or two ago).

Walked downstream for a while and stopped at a peg, with the idea of roving back to the car. First cast and I was getting touches quickly, but with it being a new river to me you don't know if it's minnows or what. Struck a couple of times at some proper knocks but missed. Re- cast, the rod flew round and this time I hit something very solid. Felt like a proper chub, took some line, and held solid in the flow. I got it close to within netting and it came to the surface, proper lump, decided to kite to the left and straight into a snag - the inevitable happened.

There was obviously a few fish in the swim so another cast and 20 mins later again I struck into something solid, this time I knew what their game was and stopped it from getting near the snag, netted and weighed at 4lb 9oz. Judging by size, I reckon first one was close to a 5.

IMG_7358.jpg

Couldn't buy another bite in that swim, or any other swim, but really happy with catching a 4 at first attempt and some of the pegs fished looked smashing. Going to give it a late night go next time I think.

I'm attempting to catch a big wear chub, having had 6's from the swale and tees. Might take a fair few years this one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rubio

Reaction score
Spent a couple of hours friday on the river trying out a favourite winter swim. Plenty of roach and a couple of chub on bread but all small. Not enough flow to get this deeper hole going as yet I feel. Pike a bit busy too. One jack got at least two free meals out of roach I dropped in at my feet.
Yesterday a short session again, this time at club lake. Only had my river rigs with me which weren't quite sensitive enough. Plenty of bites but difficult to hit. I did manage my september crucian. A nifty 8oz bar of gold right at the death. May try to pop back later today and hopefully bag october fish early. My attempt to bag a crucian every month stalled in feb last season.

mikench

Reaction score
Thanks for asking and it was just a dislocated little finger in the end after X-rays !

Just returned from 3 hours at A&E. I decided to clean out the gutters and fell off the step ladders !:( I should know better at my age and should have gone fishing. My little finger was at an angle of 45 degrees and badly gashed! Had gas and air a la Del Boy whilst it was straightened !

I hope I can still fish next week!:rolleyes:

Keith M

Reaction score
I decided to travel light and do a little upstream exploration a couple of miles upstream of a section of small river that I sometimes fish for Barbel and Chub and found myself scrambling through thick undergrowth with some bait in my back waistcoat pocket and a few bits of end tackle in a small plastic box in my breast pocket plus a folding spoon net and unhooking mat that I could sit and lie on in very restricted and tight places.

I had been to this small remote overgrown place where the stream averaged no more than around 6 or 7ft wide and averaged around 2 to 4ft deep back in June but had not had a rod with me then so I hadn't had a chance to cast a line there before.

I only had two to three hours before I had to leave and it was just a spur of the moment thing and I didn't expect to catch much over around one or two pounds in weight if I was very lucky but I'd been promising myself that I would give it a go sometime.

I was quite surprised when my rod tip bent right round within a few minutes of lowering my bait just downstream of a small bend, and as I was lying on my stomach in a small gap in the undergrowth it was quite a scramble to get into a position enabling me to play and land the fish (which felt like a barbel) that had taken my bait.
It turned out to be a nice barbel of exactly 5lb which although it wasn't big as far as barbel go was a lot bigger than I had expected from such a small overgrown stream such as this.

I had to wait well over an hour for another bite which turned out to be another similar sized barbel which was a little bigger; at just over 6lb.

Nothing huge I know; but finding fish like this on a tiny and remote section of overgrown stream was very enjoyable.

These are the two beards that I managed to catch:

IMG_0026.jpg

IMG_0029.jpg

Keith

Last edited:

fishplate42

Reaction score
I made it! I got out for a full day's fishing on Saturday with the aim of trying out my latest, silly named, groundbait concoction 'Cattyfish' groundbait.

I found a spot around the lake that had reeds and lily pads to fish to and laid a modest bed of groundbait laced with some free offerings of the hook bait - It worked. I was catching perch after perch. Nothing of any size, but perch never the less. The other interesting thing I discovered was that these perch were not keen on prawn but went mad for sections of chopped (Yuck!) worm. I am not keen on chopping up worms if I am honest. You can find the full story HERE for anyone who is interested...

37386928316_df7f33193d_c.jpg

I did survive a heavy, prolonged rain shower and even caught a fish during the downpour.

A great day out that gave me a chance to try out the groundbait :), lose some end tackle :( and catch lots of fish :thumbs:

Ralph.

Last edited: