How did you get on?

Reaction score
Well I am supposed to be going tomorrow,I've been watching the river level like a hawk,it is very high,but starting to drop,only tonight the forecast shows it being -1deg until 5amish,then its going to rain,causing possible black ice,the hell with that,grrrr...

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Match today on a day ticket lake in Waltham abbey. It was persisting down with rain as I drove up the M25, at least it wasn't busy. Draw was 8:30 by which time the rain had stopped so we set up in relative comfort until the all in when it started again. With the rain came wind which strengthened by the hour.
I had only fished here once before and that was 10 years ago so I had little idea what worked best although bomb and bread was mentioned a few times so I tried it. Not a touch.

image.jpg

I changed my hook and trace to a 20 to 0:09 and tried single maggot, this got me bites, 3 nice skimmers. Then I started getting silly little pulls which I suspected were roach so I tried the pole with single maggot and caught roach for 2 hours until the end... My arms were killing me trying to hold the pole still at 11m, the angler next to me broke his pole during a particularly gusty spell.
Up against some top names including an international team member I didn't expect to win but I didn't do too badly all said and done.
Tipped the scales at 6lb dead which was fairly good to average on the day, 15lb won it...

john step

Reaction score
NOT MUCH HAPPENING ON HERE LATELY..............I WONDER WHY????:wh

PS just seen PCs post. Lucky someone is out there doing the biz.

Last edited:

Reaction score
Went on the river late morning,as the river wasn't coloured I fished the maggot feeder,had one chub 4.6 and two roach,best 8ozs,melt water put paid to a better session.

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
Had hoped to get out today ..

But ha a problem with a radio that was bugging me so i stayed at home and fixed it ( i am a radio ham :wh) but did get to the shops got some bread to put thru the blender ready for hopefully tomorrow afternoon and Sunday at the club pool unless i feel like heading for the tame somewhere ..

PG ...

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Had hoped to get out today ..

But ha a problem with a radio that was bugging me so i stayed at home and fixed it ( i am a radio ham :wh) but did get to the shops got some bread to put thru the blender ready for hopefully tomorrow afternoon and Sunday at the club pool unless i feel like heading for the tame somewhere ..

PG ...

Could you fix my radio and make it "interesting" again, with a few exceptions it hasn't been since The Clitheroe Kid and Round the Horn.:)

Reaction score
Hugh,I looked online this morning and the river had dropped from 0.61 a day and a half ago,to 0.36 this morning,now this means little to you,but on this river normal level is around 0.2,so although still up the water had dropped into a reasonable level,but,the big but,the rain and sleet we had this morning melting some of the lying snow,which made the river rise a few inches after my arrival,making it more difficult than it might have been,ahhh the science of angling(b*llsh*t more like)....

Last edited:

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
Could you fix my radio and make it "interesting" again, with a few exceptions it hasn't been since The Clitheroe Kid and Round the Horn.:)

NOw that may be one fix too far radio ( broadcast version ) these days is pants only one way to fix it time warp back .

Clithero kid was the one who said "I'll marmalise ya " i believe .. theres a bit of that nees carrying out these days ..:wh

PG ...

tonybull

Reaction score
Match today on a day ticket lake in Waltham abbey. It was persisting down with rain as I drove up the M25, at least it wasn't busy. Draw was 8:30 by which time the rain had stopped so we set up in relative comfort until the all in when it started again. With the rain came wind which strengthened by the hour.
I had only fished here once before and that was 10 years ago so I had little idea what worked best although bomb and bread was mentioned a few times so I tried it. Not a touch.

image.jpg

I changed my hook and trace to a 20 to 0:09 and tried single maggot, this got me bites, 3 nice skimmers. Then I started getting silly little pulls which I suspected were roach so I tried the pole with single maggot and caught roach for 2 hours until the end... My arms were killing me trying to hold the pole still at 11m, the angler next to me broke his pole during a particularly gusty spell.
Up against some top names including an international team member I didn't expect to win but I didn't do too badly all said and done.
Tipped the scales at 6lb dead which was fairly good to average on the day, 15lb won it...

Well Done Simon

There was plenty of quality anglers on the match so you held your own :)

I'll see the results when they go up.

ian g

Reaction score
Levels were very similar to last Saturday so I headed to Longnor via Total Angling , walked up to the big slack which wasn't quite as inviting as my previous visit but worth a go . Put out a pike rod with a sprat on and set up a float rod to catch some livies . Turned out to be harder than I'd hoped not a touch for an hour , I scaled down a bit changing the bolo float for a pole float and a 20's hook soon caught a few silvers including a nice chub around a pound. :D . Most were either to big or to small but eventually out went a 6 inch chub which swam around all afternoon for no interest . around 3 o'clock I tried worm on the float and missed two bites but things were slow . on a hunch a put out a small dace and as I poured my coffee the float vanished , I got my act together and was attached to a decent fish which was giving me the run around until the hook hold went and the lot came back . That was the end of the action and I called it a day at around 4.30 . Three trips over Xmas and apart from Mike I haven't seen anyone , I know the last few days haven't been barbelling weather but the river is in quite good nick if a little coloured for predators. I've caught some decent dace over the last few trips which is encouraging , might have a few sessions just targeting them on light gear.

rubio

Reaction score
Enjoyed a couple of hours catching roach and rudd on the whip at club lake. Needed to go fine to get bites;0.7 and 4mm punch on a 20. Not ultra fine by some standards but not normally necessary here. Once they got going I put on a 16 and a bigger punch, but still nothing that needed a landing net. Had hoped a crucian or two might have stirred themselves as the temps round this way have been mild. The only other angler there got a brace on another pond but not I. Might give it another go if the river looks too gloopy after the rain finally fell.

mikench

Reaction score
As it was raining and looked miserable, I elected to go to my favourite venue where I was joined by two others. I was after roach on a small pellet feeder initially and then a maggot feeder but all I caught were the ubiquitous bream and all around the 4lb mark! I had the brolly erected and the wind at my back so I felt quite happy! I arrived around 10am but due to ineptitude and indecision on my part I didn't make my first cast until 10.30:(

By 3.00 pm I had caught 7 bream but no roach! It was getting colder but the rain had ceased and I decided to revert back to the maggot feeder with a 15" hooklength and a size 16 hook. Within the next hour I had 12 roach and not one was less than 6oz or so and a few were around the 1lb mark! It was almost a bite a chuck and I only left because I had run out of maggots! No photos as my phone battery was dead! These iPhones are great but battery life is poor and my two daughters routinely and utterly disrespectfully unplug my iPhone and iPad to charge their own:rolleyes: I only had 50% at the start!

Roach are delightful to catch and rush around beneath the surface until landed ! I wonder what a 2 pounder feels like!;) No more fishing for me this year but I feel I have ended the year on a high note!

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Are you up to date with the iPhone news Mike? If yours is an older model you will be able to buy a cheaper battery anytime soon following the expose of Apples latest dastardly deed.

Having been couped up for a few days with cold temperatures and howling winds outside and a feverish temperature and more wind inside it was good to finally get out today. Such a mild day, definitely overdressed and removed a layer or two shortly into what turned out to be a blank session on my local town stretch of river.

My newly modified lures weren't tempting enough apart from a couple of attacks from a baby perch that thought twice about the outcome when it came to the crunch. Having said that I don't think any method was going to find a fish today, the river was tramping through at a relentless rate full of colour, the weir pool looked like a giant cappuccino.
io0QpPa.jpg

The only constant is Ralph's lure still sparkling in rare moments of sunshine, it's now been joined by a compatriot so won't be spending New Year alone.:)

rbnUbuR.jpg

Not in the least disappointed, it was a pleasure to get out in the fresh air and stretch my legs and get back in time to watch my Superbloos beat Stoke and as an added bonus spotted a Kingfisher, first I've seen along the town stretch.

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
I bought my wife an iPhone x for Christmas John and in return I have inherited her iPhone 6s which is nearly brand new( long story). I am able to use it so all is well!:)

Hogweed

Reaction score
If I had any sense I would have fished a lake today. But I was desperate to do some trotting with my new 15' Acolyte paired with my pin.

I figured the Chelmer was the nearest venue that would give me half chance. I went for a stretch new to me so I would at least be able to check it out for another time even if could not wet a line.

Well, the conditions were challenging to say the least. The river was high, coloured and raging through. And with strong winds trying to blow me in I really should not have bothered.

But despite not catching I was delighted with how my set up performed. I'm a bit of novice when it comes to trotting technique so I'm looking forward to having another go when conditions improve.

fishplate42

Reaction score
The water is barrelling through there today! Has that washed away any of the weed in the stretch up to the old mill?

The only constant is Ralph's lure still sparkling in rare moments of sunshine, it's now been joined by a compatriot so won't be spending New Year alone.:)

rbnUbuR.jpg

That was nice of you, how thoughtful...:D

Ralph.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Won't know til the water fines down Ralph. However, this is the second major flush in the last month and combined with some artic temperatures the weed has already certainly thinned out quite a bit. The river has been in need of a major cleanse with plenty of debris being washed downstream.

Hopefully when it settles a few sessions of trotting will be possible. Only ten weeks of the season left.:(