How did you get on?

flightliner

Reaction score
Sunny, hot, what to do was the problem.
It would be pretty slow where I was fishing in my estimation .
Perhaps the only residents willing to feed would be a carp or few that I had been hoping to avoid on previous visits , why not , not chased em for years now so it would be a "gapfiller" until things settle down weatherwise.
I put a few things together in the garage, Rod, reel, landing net a few bits and bats and headed to the co - op for a tiger loaf as bait and headed to my venue to try floating crust.
I looked at the lakes windward corner and saw maybe ten fish milling around , so, not needing to be told I had my rod already tooled up so after a carefull approach and a few freebies introduced that were readily eaten I underarmed my own hoobait amongst the free offerings.
Ten seconds was all it took--- two carp made a beeline to it and bumped into each other in the rush-- b- - - - r!!
No matter, next put in and I had a good take resulting in what may have been a near double mirror.
Nice but nothing afterwards had me off searching other areas, I found two that were lazing in some lite marginal weed that tho apparently indifferant to my offering saw fish number two fall to my somewhat rusty old carp stalking wiles.
Job done, I was hot and it's a big lake where I figured my chance of another fish would mean a longer period than I was prepared to wait in the heat.
Time for an early bath! IMG_3876.jpg

barbelboi

Reaction score
First trips out since the river season ended and took a stroll over the fields to the woodland pond to fish in the high temperatures of Wednesday and Thursday. Armed with a couple of slices of 50/50, the Ultra, pin and a bag of bits I had a few crucians, some roach and the obligatory carp gate crashing on the Wednesday.
2018april woodpond.jpg
april 2018 cr.jpg
april 2018 ro.jpg
april 2018 crp.jpg
Knowing that the weather for Thursday would be even slightly warmer I decided to go for the carp off the top by choice swapping the Ultra, 2lb bottom/’18’ hook setup of the Wednesday for a Avon, old Aero5000GTE, a bubble, 6lb line and some artificial floating bread. Lots of surface action stalking the fish from a water that only two of us fish...................Fished from 10-4pm both days.
april 2018 c1.jpg

mikench

Reaction score
Well i executed my plan for brownie points revealed yesterday and this involved a 145 mile round trip to Yorkshire . I dropped off the wife at a hotel just off J46 Mi at 8.00am and toddled off to Swillington Park Lakes in , surprisingly enough, Swillington which is on the Selby road about 5 miles away. I paid the £7.50 and was directed to Oak Pool being a traditional lake stocked with tench, roach , Rudd, carp, perch carp And bream! I was recommended a peg near some yet to fully come out lily pads and I set up the feeder rod with a selection of hook baits from corn to cockles! I had about 4 hours before I would have to resume my taxi duties ; ample to catch the elusive tench I would have thought! View attachment 4422View attachment 4422

I caught 4 fish all around the 5lb Mark but in deference to the sensibilités of certain members I did not take photos! They were not tench, nor roach nor rudd nor perch nor carp!!! :(

For gawds sake I can catch b***** all day 5 minutes away! I shall not return!:rolleyes: Interestingly other anglers didn't catch and all were moaning about the fishing generally! Popped down to our favourite bakers in Headingly on the way home for some curd tart tha nos!!!:wh

Last edited:

nottskev

Reaction score
Well i executed my plan for brownie points revealed yesterday and this involved a 145 mile round trip to Yorkshire . I dropped off the wife at a hotel just off J46 Mi at 8.00am and toddled off to Swillington Park Lakes in , surprisingly enough, Swillington which is on the Shelby road about 5 miles away. I paid the £7.50 and was directed to Oak Pool being a traditional lake stocked with tench, roach , Rudd, carp, perch carp And bream! I was recommended a peg near some yet to fully come out lily pads and I set up the feeder rod with a selection of hook baits from corn to cockles! I had about 4 hours before I would have to resume my taxi duties ; ample to catch the elusive tench I would have thought! View attachment 4422View attachment 4422

I caught 4 fish all around the 5lb Mark but in deference to the sensibilités of certain members I did not take photos! They were not tench, nor roach nor rudd nor perch nor carp!!! :(

For gawds sake I can catch b***** all day 5 minutes away! I shall not return!:rolleyes: Interestingly other anglers didn't catch and all were moaning about the fishing generally! Popped down to our favourite bakers in Headingly on the way home for some curd tart tha nos!!!:wh

You're a bream magnet, Mike. 4 fish for 20lb is not a bad return! The two pics.....is it a Spot The Difference?

mikench

Reaction score
I don't know why the pic was duplicated!! Well spotted Kev! The first pint is my round!:) The bream were big but still pulled like a supermarket bag full of water!! :)

mikench

Reaction score
I lost two lumps and two feeders in the lily pads and console myself with the thought that they might have been tench!!

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Thought I'd give my usual Saturday morning venue a miss today as it's not fishing too well. Very early start and off up to Tring to a venue which will be where our old codgers match is Tuesday and an open next Sunday.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Float fished punch then maggot, loads of bites mainly gudgeon but a few roach and skimmers too. After about 4 hours I changed to a worm rig and fed choppy via dropper close in. Rig set 3" over depth with a whole dendra and the greedy perch showed up, one just under a pound. The real biggies didn't show today...

image.jpeg

About 10lb, I'd be happy with that next week...

image.jpeg

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Well i executed my plan for brownie points revealed yesterday and this involved a 145 mile round trip to Yorkshire . I dropped off the wife at a hotel just off J46 Mi at 8.00am and toddled off to Swillington Park Lakes in , surprisingly enough, Swillington which is on the Shelby road about 5 miles away. I paid the £7.50 and was directed to Oak Pool being a traditional lake stocked with tench, roach , Rudd, carp, perch carp And bream! I was recommended a peg near some yet to fully come out lily pads and I set up the feeder rod with a selection of hook baits from corn to cockles! I had about 4 hours before I would have to resume my taxi duties ; ample to catch the elusive tench I would have thought! View attachment 4422View attachment 4422

I'm far from an expert but I'd say, put away the feeder, just be patient on the float, nice piece of bread flake maybe.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
My fishing buddy is a friend of the land owner - the pond has never been stocked/fished (apart from us) at least during the 40+ years his family have owned the land.

"Well jel" I believe is the term used by a younger generation nowadays.

Hugh Bailey

Reaction score
My fishing buddy is a friend of the land owner - the pond has never been stocked/fished (apart from us) at least during the 40+ years his family have owned the land.

The carp (particularly the common) look like wildies to me? (I'm no expert at all!). What a lovely place to fish!

john step

Reaction score
Yesterday in the warm sunshine the carp at my syndicate lake were showing everywhere and taking surface freebies. Today when I had opportunity to fish they have done a moonlight flit. Not even a fish rolling.

I contented myself to the waggler and had some nice roach,rudd,perch and joy...my first tench of the year.

I had the water to myself. Bliss.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Final club fixture today on a day ticket lake in Iver Bucks. The last one of the year and I needed to win to get in the top eight of the league and prize money .I didn't....
Had a big clump of reeds to my left and I could see there were carp knocking the stems, I needed to tempt them out. Cupped in 2 balls of GB and some dead maggots as close as I could, this meant pushing the pole through the reeds to get to the front. Sat on a method feeder for 20 minutes to no avail then decided to give the reeds a go. Had to lift the rig over the stems and drop it down, no way you could have got there with rod and line.

image.jpeg

3 maggots on the hook and a succession of Rudd and roach kept intercepting the maggots on the drop. When the maggots finally made it down to the deck the float settled then buried positively.
A quick lift and no12 hollow elastic ripped out as I frantically swung the pole through the stems and out into open water. After an arm wrenching tussle I landed a low double mirror, no pullas for me...

Back out on the method and had 2 more but it was slow. Towards the end I went back to the reeds and had another but that was it.
2nd in section with 24lb and certainly nowhere near the money overall..

Oh well there's always next season to try again....

nottskev

Reaction score
I love this time of year. Spring and all that, yes, but also you can get up at a reasonable hour, have a leisurely breakfast and fish from 1 to 5 or 5.30. I fancied fishing for bream on the Deep lake, but I wasn't sure if they'd put in the blue dye since I was last there, and it goes off for a few weeks when they do. So it was back to the Old Lake

al.jpg

There was a cool, swirling wind so I walked around and sat in the shelter of the woods on the west bank. Feeding hemp and micros, hoping to get a tench or two, I was being mithered by little roach on any hookbait - corn, pellet, cubes of meat. It took a while to dawn on me I was fishing as I had through most of the winter there, when the little roach seem to disappear - dripping in bait and fishing a light rig. Putting a heavier float on with all the shot near the hook and potting a handful in then leaving it improved things, and I was soon catching the kind of fish Martin Bowler can only dream of

ani.jpg

Thankfully, the tench got at least a bit bigger as the afternoon went on. And it was great to see half a dozen of these. I never met anyone who didn't have a soft spot for crucians. Amongst anglers, I mean.

am.jpg

Halfway through the session, I had an interesting 5 minutes with a chunky kind of fish that was checking if I'd tied my knots properly. Not sure what it was, but someone will probably identify it

app.jpg

Some of the lake's decent roach found the bait and joined the tench and crucians, so I was lucky to have one of those afternoons when the float keeps going under.

aps.jpg

john step

Reaction score
A blustery day up on the Wolds. That wind still has a bite to it.
I fished the match lake with a small waggler and bread flake. In summer this lake is a bite a chuck. Not warm enough for that yet and you have to work at it.

I had a few roach, a couple of bream a crucian and five mirrors. A very enjoyable day and it didn't rain..bonus.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
With three hours to spare between domestic duties I headed to the estate knowing this maybe the best day of the week weather wise. The whip lives permanently in the car so it took just a few moments to round up some corn, pellet and meat.

With recent conversations on here still fresh in my mind I was keen to vary my usual tactics and on arrival the lake was its usual empty self barring one visitor that kept me company for much of the session.
image.jpg

The initial setup was fishing the whip on a size 20 hook banded with a 4mm pellet just off the bottom by an inch or two. Fishing lighter than usual and off the bottom produced instant interest and small roach were taking the bait every chuck.
image.jpg

I'm keen to catch one of the newly stocked Crucians and thought one of the constant bites would surely produce one but after an hour it wasn't to be and I started to bore and couldn't resist reverting to my regular setup.

Now fishing on the bottom with meat instead of pellet the bream soon moved in with a few decent 3 to 4lb fish testing the whip.

In the final hour it all went a bit mad with three tench caught and another three lost, it was like they were on steroids fighting much stronger than before. One snagged and two slipping the hook. I had tench swimming around my feet right in the edge, heads down feeding for their lives, prior to spawning maybe? All this in the middle of the day too when they are normally knowhere to be found. This was the best of the three at just under 4lb with a rather disfigured mouth.
image.jpg

I normally pack up when I've had enough but today other duties were calling and it was a reluctance to leave a very active lake. I seem to have found the limitations of my whip so the next trip will be with an elasticated top or back to rod and reel.

Last edited:

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
What with health issues and a short break in Chichester with my wife last week (four days of warmth with cloudless skies, so not ideal for fishing anyway) I finally managed to get myself organised yesterday for a mornings roach fishing on a small gravel pit. No time to obtain red maggots/casters so I decided to just take a pint of hemp and a couple of slices of Warburtons for the punch. With just two baits to work and fairy limited as to how they are presented I really believe it is the best way to fish on occasion, giving baits a proper workout and every chance to work, rather than chopping and changing with a myriad of alternatives, when things don't go to plan from the off.

I found myself at the waters edge just after 06.30 and was somewhat surprised to find many swims, including my favourites, with water over the bank, which meant I had to drop the gear and check out swims I rarely fish simply because they would be bathed in sunshine at this time of year AND by mid morning - not ideal, and not what I wanted to be doing at that time of day!
Anyway, I eventually settled on a tight little swim with a reasonable amount of tree cover (to perhaps offer shaded water for most on the session) and I set about tackling up in peace and quiet. However, the quietness was shattered a few minutes later when a near double figure carp boiled on the surface (tail out of the water etc.!) which sent shock waves in all directions and sitting there I did wonder if I had chosen the wrong spot. I mean, who needs carp on hemp tackle.... (I have to say I nigh on jumped out of my skin as the disturbance was considerable as it was sudden, and not more than 2m from me!)

Nothing ventured nothing gained, I had a quick cup of tea and finished setting up with a 12' Ultralight and 60 year old pin the choice of the day. End tackle was very slim home made peacock float fished with shot down the line and a 20 Drennan maggot hook which works well with hemp and not too bad with punch either. I had approximately 6' of water under the tip but I knew that with my set-up and fishing hemp 'on the drop', the majority of fish would come from mid to upper water and so it turned out.
By 08.30 I had landed (or swung in) a dozen roach with the best around 10/12ozs but some were a lot smaller, with one no more than 3" long! It still managed to take the float under and was hooked fairly in the top lip.
Over the next couple of hours I caught steadily on hemp with the best fish taking the seed just below the surface and twice pulling the float across the surface and jumping out of the water as I tightened. (no need to strike as such as they more of less self hooked.

As bites slowed and the constant casting a chore, I changed the set-up slightly and caught more roach (a lot smaller) on the punch, finishing with something like 25/30 fish. I was more than pleased with my mornings efforts in what could only be described as near ideal conditions and with not another souls in sight. Good fishing (no carp!) and hot tea - what could be better..

Blanks numerous of the winter just past, just a memory......................

Off out again tomorrow, and the next day, and the next day............

Last edited: