How did you get on?

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Not so much as a touch this morning....

Conditions not too bad, although I did have to break / clear the ice.

First blank for an age but it's good for the mind....

Hopefully back again tomorrow, even more determined !

lambert1

Reaction score
First trip out for a while. Not easy at all today. Arrived at the swim I wanted to use, but someone was fishing the far bank, so I moved on:(. Nothing doing for several hours, so I went back to the first choice swim hoping that it would now be free. Thankfully it was and I decided to scale up and go for a Chub. Much to my delight, I caught one, with pretty much the only bite I had all day. It weighed 5lb 7oz, which is my biggest by some considerable way and to say I am chuffed is an understatement. It fell to a lump of garlic sausage that I bought in the 99p shop on a whim, so I will definitely buy some more and freeze it. It is very much like garlic Spam, but you get more and its cheaper.

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
Finally got to try out my new rod and CP today. In fairness, only two small Chub stopped it being a complete disaster. Started with 100m of Drennan float fish, following tangles, poor strikes, snagging bankside vegetation and, basically general incompetency there is probably around 70m left. fished the last hour with my "twin handled pearlescent sp*nk coloured" (are you watching S-Kippy) Stradic , the bites didn't improve but at least I spent more time watching the float than the reel:eek:mg: How do you guys cast with a CP?
Still as Arnie said "I'll be back":rolleyes:;)

p.s. The Supero is a fine piece of kit and ideal for the small rivers I fish :)

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I wasn't gonn'a bother goin' trotting today but I just had to get out on the bank :cheesy grin: , all be it only for the last several hours of daylight. I hadn't got many maggots left and so I supplemented them with an extra bait pouch of asda's frozen sweety. I was surprised to see the temp gague in the car showing 10 degrees ! I wish i'd gone on the big river targetting the barbel.
Anyhow, the fish weren't very obliging at first but after about 40min's of walking the bank and dropping into likely looking swims I finally found some chub :). There seemed to be a couple or more chub in every swim from then on and they all liked corn and maggot cocktailes...two peices of corn and four maggots on a drennan super spade. I don't know exactly how many chub I finnished up winding in but it must have been close to 20 or more...

Last edited:

The Runner

Reaction score
Fished club match on the Colne at Uxbridge which was predictably a bit grim after a week of hard frosts
Was within ten minutes of achieving the distinction of having framed with a single bullhead for 0-0-8 but then a couple of lads a few pegs down from me each had a couple of little roach
Should have overtaken them again though as with two minutes to go finally hooked the chub I'd been feeding for since the second hour when it became apparent that the roach weren't going to have it. Not a big fish , felt to be around 2-8 to 3 but still managed to transfer the hook to an underwater branch that I hadnt realised was there a couple of yards down on the inside.
Can at least say I had the same number of fish as the winner- however his was a 12 lb barbel, a bit unexpected given the temperatures and the fact that Colne barbel rarely show in "match hours" anyway. Did really well to get it out on 0.12 hooklength in a snagpit as well.
One chub for 4-2 was second from a peg in the sluice, third, also in the sluice, found a little pocket of dace prepared to feed for 3-12, and then a tie for 4th with the two 0-1-8 roach "weights"
My bullhead was the only other fish caught, with 12 or 13 blanks, although Bob H on the railings swim did lose a trout estimated to be at least 6 lb. Lord knows where that came from

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Finally got to try out my new rod and CP today. In fairness, only two small Chub stopped it being a complete disaster. Started with 100m of Drennan float fish, following tangles, poor strikes, snagging bankside vegetation and, basically general incompetency there is probably around 70m left. fished the last hour with my "twin handled pearlescent sp*nk coloured" (are you watching S-Kippy) Stradic , the bites didn't improve but at least I spent more time watching the float than the reel:eek:mg: How do you guys cast with a CP?
Still as Arnie said "I'll be back":rolleyes:;)

p.s. The Supero is a fine piece of kit and ideal for the small rivers I fish :)

Ian

The Stradic is a very nice reel but a very rubbish colour and deep down you know I'm right.:D

Pins really aren't anything like as hard to use as some people make out. I rarely "cast" in the accepted sense...mostly I'm just swinging it out. I can't cast a float to the far side or a river with a pin but that's not really what they're for. If I had to do that I'd be using a sensibly coloured Daiwa f/s. Slow everything down.100m is way too much line to have on a pin....30-35m is plenty.

Skippy

barbelboi

Reaction score
Ian

The Stradic is a very nice reel but a very rubbish colour and deep down you know I'm right.:D

Pins really aren't anything like as hard to use as some people make out. I rarely "cast" in the accepted sense...mostly I'm just swinging it out. I can't cast a float to the far side or a river with a pin but that's not really what they're for. If I had to do that I'd be using a sensibly coloured Daiwa f/s. Slow everything down.100m is way too much line to have on a pin....30-35m is plenty.

Skippy

Yep, 30-35m is usually plenty - if you need to cast (as in a long way) you're on the wrong side of the river Ian;) - normally just try taking the line between your finger and thumb from between the second and third rings, then pull it to arms length and let fly..........................

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Sorry chaps but I have to dissagree with the last two post. I usually have enough line spooled up on a pin to cover the length of the trotts on the venue i'm gonn'a fish, so usually between 70 and 120 yds of line.
I also cast (accuratly) 25yds easy enough and even 30 yds on a good day and have no prob's controlling the float, mending line etc on the trott. The old beleif that you can only trott off the end of the rod when using a pin is pretty much an old wives tale.
I'm not trying to be a wise guy gent's but just stating fact that's all :).

barbelboi

Reaction score
Sorry chaps but I have to dissagree with the last two post. I usually have enough line spooled up on a pin to cover the length of the trotts on the venue i'm gonn'a fish, so usually between 70 and 120 yds of line.
I also cast (accuratly) 25yds easy enough and even 30 yds on a good day and have no prob's controlling the float, mending line etc on the trott. The old beleif that you can only trott off the end of the rod when using a pin is pretty much an old wives tale.

Every one to their own tigger, I can/could Wallis cast very well but I don't see the point - Wallis would probably never have popularized the Nottingham cast if there was a half decent f/s reel available at the time;) and IMO the pin is for trotting, not casting distances. This little fellow was taken at 5m on the near side bank..

BTW The Barnes Wallis cast is considerably more productive - especially towards the dam end......:)

cc692-Copy_zps3e2d2ec1.jpg

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro

Good for you...but you dont need that much line ,nor do you have to be able to do that to use a pin effectively. I am merely pointing out that some people would have you believe that its a necessity....when it patently isn't and by doing so put a lot of people off even trying a pin. Using/Casting a pin is nothing like as mysterious as some people make out. Its not hard & most people will pick it up very quickly.

Sorry Simon...you are quite right. Where did you blank today ?

Reaction score
Went chubbing for a few hours yesterday afternoon, got out about noon and managed four chub from six offers, smallest 3lb, largest 4lb 5oz.
Simple fishing with minimal kit and cheesepaste and flake for bait.
One rod, a reel, folding seat and landing net with a pocket of hooks and leads, a pleasant afternoon on my local Nene.
Sunday, "silvers only" open match on Biggin Lake with the small tackle shop we all seem to take when matching.
Ice slowly receding as we fished, 10mtr and 14mtr lines on the pole produced two microscopic perch and the waggler at around 25mtrs produced one roach, another see through perch and a skimmer of around 10oz, grand total of 1lb.
The fishing on the lake could only be described as a tad difficult, seven of us in a line failed to record a bite for the first three hours. Used this as a practice for next weeks winter league round, I feel a full day chubbing on the Saturday to try and maintain some sort of sanity.
Pete.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Sorry Simon...you are quite right. Where did you blank today ?

Not quite a blank but close....

Milton pools match lake. Drew cyanide corner, no ice close in but the target area out in the middle had a sheet of ice sitting there.
2 roach for about 4oz all day...drew scales too so felt obliged to see it out. Otherwise I would have gone home at 1pm...

Where were you?:w

B

binka

Not quite a blank but close....

Milton pools match lake. Drew cyanide corner, no ice close in but the target area out in the middle had a sheet of ice sitting there.
2 roach for about 4oz all day...drew scales too so felt obliged to see it out. Otherwise I would have gone home at 1pm...

I've just run that through Google Translate and it read...

"Drew a flyer... "

:D

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
Oi! This is supposed to be 'How did you get on? There's plenty of pin threads if you want to discuss pins innit?

Sorry Simon,

Everyone's done the CP thread but it has given me a little more info for my next session, so thanks guys.

If anyone's got any suggestions on portable foot bridges I'll follow Jerry's advice and try the other bank next time :)

smudger172

Reaction score
Back from a four day piking long weekend in Wroxham. Unfortunately there was only six of us this trip as my boat partner had family problems and Steve had a weeks notice to go for a hip replacement. I wish him a speedy recovery. Back to the fishing. The weather was fantastic apart having to break the ice in the small boat yard where we park the boats on friday morning. Best fish of the trip was caught by Graham AKA "Coops" AKA "Half past three" At 21-02 He is known as half past three as he has 1 and 1/2 digits missing from a table saw accident. (Ouch) I had the next best fish at 20-02. Greg the fireman was next with fish of 19-08 and 16-04. Chris the plumber had a very big fish spit out the hooks at the net. Recast and had a perch of 2-08 on a 10" mackerel. A few smaller doubles were caught along with about a dozen singles. All in all a very good trip. Cant wait for next year..

Andy

barbelboi

Reaction score
Fished a local gravel pit for roach (caster/hemp) today with a friend from 11.am- 2.30pm (blowing a northerly hoolie with the ice melt the day before) not surprised we were the only ones on the water. Really struggled, tried everything I knew, and a few things I didn’t know, for 9 roach either side of a pound and a rogue common about 8. Had time for two cuppas and lunch whilst resting the swim...........;)

B

binka

9 roach either side of a pound and a rogue common about 8. Had time for two cuppas and lunch whilst resting the swim...........;)

I thought you had to get a swim going before you could rest it... 9 roach and a common? :eek: ;) :D

Seriously though it sounds as though you did really well considering the conditions Jerry, I'm out tomorrow and if I do anywhere near as good as you managed today i'll be calling it a good one.