How did you get on?

B

binka

I was using as many maggots as I could squash on a 14's superspade

Is that the Greys Bewick Ian?

I have to confess to being a bit of a connoisseur when it comes to the bunch of maggots method myself with a notable success only last week which somehow slipped my mind…

:eek:mg:

flightliner

Reaction score
Had a day chasing my own tail today.
Went to a water with high expectations but sadly, it was covered with ice so ended looking everywhere for an ice free location.
After several places were found to be the same as the first I/we decided to look over in lincolnshire at the Fossdyke that links lincoln to the trent but that also was ice covered.
Last chance before ploughing further into the county was the tiny river Till that has a slow flow--- success! No ice.
Rods out- a fairly long wait and a long awaited run produced a nice pike of some 7lbs or thereabouts.
A withering wind and fog made it uncomfortable but hey!.
Its what we expect this time of year.

bullet

Reaction score
Went for a trot on Friday. Freezing wind. Had a few small Grayling and a really nice Brownie who deserved a quick snap even though he's out of season.
IMG_20150206_130955_0_600x800_480x640_300x400_.jpg

View image in gallery

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
EH...greys freekin' bewick...how dare you sir !!

Narrh Steve lol, it's a little more sort after reel than the bewick, it's a Chris Lythe 1915. It's seriously good to trott with and is great to wallise cast :).

This is a poxy bewick
LOL

A poxy Bewick indeed ! I'm outraged .....how very dare you, sirrah !

I note the Chris Lythe also sports those rather nasty toothpaste tube handles . For that sort of money I'd want something a bit classier !

nicepix

Reaction score
Is that the Greys Bewick Ian?

I have to confess to being a bit of a connoisseur when it comes to the bunch of maggots method myself with a notable success only last week which somehow slipped my mind…

:eek:mg:

That's the most blatant attempt to get round the 'No Livebaiting' rule I've ever seen

:D

denzinho

Reaction score
Over the last week its been looking just right for pike and I was more than confident I would get one.

Plan was to go to Tesco and grab some sprats and twitch/wobble them at every likely looking spot. Tesco didn't have SPRATS!?! I shook my head in disbelief at the drama that was unfolding in front of me at the fish counter.

Sorry my love the lady said...... That's Ok I replied :mad:

Plan B was to use lures but my confidence sunk pretty horrifically and I was contemplating cancelling my trip. I stuck it out on the lures and walked around a mile and a half of River(I had to walk back yet!).

Surprise surprise not even a follow!. I switched to a lure which was recommended to me on this site and it saved my arse in a way.

5arkw8.jpg

I walk back to the car using that lure and come across a deadbait angler. He had a double out!:mad: , I'm happy with the one Perch I really am, I just really hate plan B's.

sam vimes

Reaction score
A change of tack on a favourite swim that has changed a bit after recent flooding. The changes mean that the fish are tending to hold a bit further across than they used to. That meant giving the waggler a try, despite the river being a bit too fast and shallow for the method for my liking. Not being particularly good at it doesn't help!

Fortunately, it worked and I managed five grayling in a quick couple of hours. The best weighed in at 1lb 3oz with another at 1lb exactly. However, I'd have rather caught them on a top and bottom float, long rod and a pin.

410816899.jpg

---------- Post added at 18:56 ---------- Previous post was at 18:53 ----------

Sorry my love the lady said.

Is it just me that's reading that with a West Country lilt?;):D

theartist

Reaction score
Popped out again for a couple of hours to the Addle - the southern arm of the River Bourne a tiny Thames tributary on the outskirts of London. To say this river was small was an understatement as I spent so much time with my rod tip in trees and how I managed no tangles was down to luck more than any skill I could muster.

The river itself was all twists and turns as it should be but was really coloured - almost orange due to the soil colour there judging by the molehills. I feared it was just too cloudy and this would lead to the first blankety blank of the season. I was working out where else i could go when the float went under and a muscular chub was eventually in the net, all 1lb of it but it was a fish and I was elated.

With new found confidence I was off up and down the river dropping my float between overhanging trees and brambles like a kid, holding back as hard as possible to allow the fish chance to see the hookbait . Ended up with about a dozen fish - some nice roach and once more some real cracking dace plus another new river for my album - happy days!

sam vimes

Reaction score
A slightly better three hours on the river this afternoon. I got bites almost from the off, without feeding a thing. Unfortunately, I had my share of bumps and nothing but nipped maggots/worms. I suspect that there were quite a few small fish in the swim. The better grayling I had all came to the worm. After about an hour and a half the swim was decidedly dead, so I went for broke and fed relatively heavily. That saw me add a few more grayling to the bag before the trout moved in. At this point I'd had ten grayling and two trout, with nothing worth a photo. I fed another good scattering of maggot and had one of those extended last casts. Just as I was seriously thinking about calling it quits, the float buried and all hell broke loose. As is the way with such beasts, it was very obvious, very quickly as to what the culprit was. The initial run was impressive enough, then it started on the acrobatics. It was clear of the water four times in quick succession. It jumped a couple more times until it settled into plodding around, wherever it wanted to, hugging the bottom. There were several occasions when I didn't think I was going to bank it. After what felt like an age, I finally managed to net it and was a little surprised at the size of it, I thought it was going to be bigger. Still, at 2lb 5oz, it gave the new long rod the best work out its had so far.

410822299.jpg

nicepix

Reaction score
we've been busy as usual lately and Little Wife needed cheering up so I sent her off to Lidl with a list for some retail therapy while I got the fishing tackle ready. Sadly, but not surprisingly she dawdled and went off message and so I only got the afternoon free once the car was back. So I set off to the nearest bit of river looking for some chub as I'd set a self-imposed no perch or roach fishing until after the spawning period. If I'd had more time I would have gone for barbel on the big river, but that's life.

Got to the river about half twelve and walked upstream casting lobworms into likely looking swims. It has warmed up recently and the sun was out so it felt quite spring like. Second swim yielded a nice roach, next swim another one and after that it was all perch up to about half a pound. So much for my personal close season.

After the last two weeks of cold weather it was nice to get out and hopefully with warmer weather and having just bought a van I'll be out and about a bit more in the next few months.

(Notice that no centrepins were mentioned during the making of this post ;) )

OK, OK, I used a Trudex on a split cane rod. But don't tell Mr. Crabtree ;)

denzinho

Reaction score
Got out for 3 hours today,

Same River but less walking :D. Bait was rather large pieces of luncheon meat on a size 4 hook. The first 2 hours were pretty uneventful but that soon changed as I found a swim where there was a nice dense over hanging tree within 10 minutes I hooked up to a 2lb Chub which gave a decent scrap.

The Chub got to around 4 meters away and I see 2 Swans rushing towards it from my left :eek:. I let the bail arm off and it dived immediately out of view to my relief as I don't know what would of happened (Swans are hungry this time of the year I imagine).

After many swear words and waving my rod close to them they decided to move on. I reeled in to find the Chub still on which was good but it seemed very tired, gills were not moving very much and it came in like a skimmer.

I unhooked the Fella in the net and left him there 10 minutes to recover. He went back strong which was the icing on the cake for me.

Nice trout, I do like the scrap that Trout can give. Is that a golden Belly Trout?

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
A slightly better three hours on the river this afternoon. I got bites almost from the off, without feeding a thing. Unfortunately, I had my share of bumps and nothing but nipped maggots/worms. I suspect that there were quite a few small fish in the swim. The better grayling I had all came to the worm. After about an hour and a half the swim was decidedly dead, so I went for broke and fed relatively heavily. That saw me add a few more grayling to the bag before the trout moved in. At this point I'd had ten grayling and two trout, with nothing worth a photo. I fed another good scattering of maggot and had one of those extended last casts. Just as I was seriously thinking about calling it quits, the float buried and all hell broke loose. As is the way with such beasts, it was very obvious, very quickly as to what the culprit was. The initial run was impressive enough, then it started on the acrobatics. It was clear of the water four times in quick succession. It jumped a couple more times until it settled into plodding around, wherever it wanted to, hugging the bottom. There were several occasions when I didn't think I was going to bank it. After what felt like an age, I finally managed to net it and was a little surprised at the size of it, I thought it was going to be bigger. Still, at 2lb 5oz, it gave the new long rod the best work out its had so far.

410822299.jpg

What's happened to the shoal of 1lb 3oz grayling ? :D

sam vimes

Reaction score
What's happened to the shoal of 1lb 3oz grayling ? :D

Only two of the recent five over a pound were 1lb 3oz. The two at 1lb 3oz were caught in spots with about five miles of river between them. I rarely seem to catch grayling over a pound when there are decent sized trout kicking around.

greenie62

Reaction score
Only two of the recent five over a pound were 1lb 3oz. The two at 1lb 3oz were caught in spots with about five miles of river between them. I rarely seem to catch grayling over a pound when there are decent sized trout kicking around.

Hey Sam,
Are you feeding them off? :eek: 5 miles is a good old way to get them going! ;):D