How did you get on?

mikench

Reaction score
They move left and right as you turn left and rightand on roads like the surface of mars, up and down.:) i will check them though.

rich66

Reaction score
Different pond today on my club complex. I’d decided to buy 1/2 a pint of maggots and keep away from the ever obliging carp/match lake.
Fished at 1” over depth with a no6 enough to hold my float still in the breeze. Kept feeding a sparse but steady flow of maggots. About half hour in had a bite and after about 5 minutes I landed a 6lb common carp I was convinced it was a tench too! as I was using a size 20 hook on 1 3/4lb hook length I was rather chuffed with myself.
After that it was a fruitless couple of hours with a couple of bites that I missed.
ab8f2e63df17dc95e1eb0666df9c024d.jpg

john step

Reaction score
Rich, I had to have a double take when I saw your photo above. I thought someone had stolen one of my photos. The carp, the scales and even wearing my boots. Then I saw the unhooking mat which is in far better condition than mine and all is forgiven!!!!!!!:wh:wh

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I made my last post this avvey at half one'ish this afternoon and then I got my trotting stuff and fired off to see if I could right the wrong of blanking yesterday.
Anyhow, first fish came off, then I walked a mile or more to another spot where I caught one chub of around 2lb. I had no more takes there so decided to drop in any likely looking glides as I walked back to my starting swims. I caught nothing in any of the swims I trotted the float through on my walk back. When I got back to my first ports of call I managed to loose another fish to a hook pull and catch another two average/small'ish chub. As soon as the sun went behind clouds it was cold and I nearly just jacked in and went home a number of times before catching the last couple of fish.
Ok, nothing special but I put the dreaded blank behind me.

Last edited:

seth49

Reaction score
Out today for the first time for months, went on a small Stillwater that’s in the club I’ve just joined, the water was very cold so didn’t expect much, wasn’t wrong either fished five hours for five small skimmers and one gudgeon, all on the pole on maggots apart from one on bread punch.

Nice to be out again, and it was quite pleasant in the sunshine, and I haven’t caught one of these for years.
7BB52818-05F0-4AC2-A0C4-3291C1781C32.jpg

mikench

Reaction score

B***** helll. I could go off you , you know.:)

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

B***** helll. I could go off you , you know.:)

Sorry Mike, but I see blanks as horrible things lol.
I knew today would be a better day, tomorrow will most likely be a better day again and saturday better again. The rivers are running off a bit more and the fish are settling down as conditons improve.
I think the forecast starts to go off again saturday night onwards!!

theartist

Reaction score
Absolutely glorious weather this morning, wall to wall sun unlike the soaking we had yesterday, so with some of the river level charts once again looking like a mountain stage on the Tour de France I went to one that is never too high to catch - The River Gade, I used to go there every week as a youngster, now it's once a year.

I took this photo not realising there was some dude loitering on the opposite bank so I made my way upstream only stopping to rescue a float from a tree, I didn't really want it as it was a dirty great loafer but it looked bad hanging there. My reward was a wet foot after discovering my boot had a leak, I squelched further upstream and In my haste to finally wet a line scared a muntjac deer with my thunderfeet, I was impressed by the way it melted in to the undergrowth with a busy path either side and seemingly nowhere to go.

The fishing was hard work as the river was very as high but I worked my way downstream trying in the odd eddy here and there, I winkled out some small chub and finally some silvers. I had a wonderfully peaceful time in a section that was cut off where the river had burst it's banks, fishing another eddy and getting a few more roach and dace, it was bliss.

Despite getting narrower year on year it can still carry some water, I just wish it was like this all the time. See you next year little river.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Wish I’d joined you on the Gade Rob....

20 odd years since I fished the Horse and barge stretch of the GUC at Harefield.
A lovely sunny, warm spring day with little wind.

4-E6420-EF-0-AE6-4-A43-826-A-6-D37-AC4-A5-A6-C.jpg

Where the bush and the rocks are is the old bank of the canal, it has collapsed over the years and become one with the huge marina behind.

This spot is known as the gaps in fishing circles.

E42-CE755-7-E7-D-4-ABB-816-D-B1-EFA2-C75-D16.jpg

7-A6-AE7-D8-3-B0-B-4-E19-B45-E-BF24-CFBC6467.jpg

This spot is mainly known for chub, carp and the occasional catfish so I fished wagg and magg across on what was the far shelf.

Not a touch in 4 hours!

Lovely day though...

mikench

Reaction score
Well if Tigger can reverse a blank so can I.:)

IMG_5627.jpg

I returned to a favorite which Tigger knows well and set up on the old lake with wag and mag and the Acolyte. I had nothing for 2 hours with only this little chap for company.

IMG_5618.jpg

The newer pool was 30' behind me and whilst bored I cast a single red maggot into a swim and unbelievably I got a bite immediately which turned out to be a 5lb common. I moved all my stuff acrosss and sticking to maggot I had another three common with this the biggest.

View attachment 8311

The sun shone and it was great to be out. I left at 3.00 pm as the renderer had gone and the garage was unlocked . All is now right with the world.

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Well if Tigger can reverse a blank so can I.:)

View attachment 8309

I returned to a favorite which Tigger knows well and set up on the old lake with wag and mag and the Acolyte. I had nothing for 2 hours with only this little chap for company.

View attachment 8310

The newer pool was 30' behind me and whilst bored I cast a single red maggot into a swim and unbelievably I got a bite immediately which turned out to be a 5lb common. I moved all my stuff acrosss and sticking to maggot I had another three common with this the biggest.

View attachment 8311

The sun shone and it was great to be out. I left at 3.00 pm as the renderer had gone and the garage was unlocked . All is now right with the world.

Well done Mike, glad you reversed the blank, and looks like you did it in style :applause::hail:

flightliner

Reaction score
I've been headbutting a brick wall of late, seven trips out with no bites told me it was time for a change before one last eighth try.
So I decided to try for some roach over Derbyshire way .
It was white over frost on arrival where I put a half dozen feederfuls of red maggots before starting at around 9-30 am.
It was 2-30pm before my first bite, a big Redfin, very nice.
After that I had ten more before I left, four well over a pound the rest not so but just to see a fish was all it took.
I'd returned the first big one thinking not to bother with a keepnet but biggy number two I changed my mind hence the four in the pik.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
^^^ A nice catch anytime but even better at the moment.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I wasn't planning on going, but I'm actually busy with other stuff for the next few days. The forecast also looks pretty dismal for next week. The river level website didn't make for good reading considering we've had little rain in the last few days. Perhaps there's still some snow melting up the dales.

On arrival, I was shocked by two things, the number of cars in the car park and the colour of the water. It was like slightly milky weak tea. For the first time in ages I had some bailiffing duties to perform and I wondered if I might not be able to fish one of my favoured pegs. Talking to the two anglers I saw before getting to where I needed to be wasn't particularly inspiring. They'd had nothing between them. A third was just starting.

As it happened, my first choice swim had a driftwood branch blocking the path to it. That needed shifting first, but it had kept the (relative) hordes at bay. It took an age before my first bite happened. I missed it. Another half hour saw me lose a couple. One felt like a grayling, the other almost definitely a trout.

Eventually, I managed to winkle out one tiny grayling and a couple of half decent brownies. One looked suspiciously like the fish I had a few weeks back, though it was, despite the floods, in much better condition this time. It was around the two and a half pounds mark. Not what I'd prefer to catch, but at least it involved a decent bit of pulling back. After the second, smaller brownie did a rather impressive acrobatic routine, I decided to pack up, put the bailiff hat back on and go looking for the other two anglers I'd yet to talk to.

Not the best day, but not a bad one. Nice to see and hear a greater spotted woodpecker drumming on a tree. A kingfisher was flitting about as they usually do and I even heard a curlew's skirling call somewhere close. Spring is definitely on its's way.

Reaction score
Again i fished the new clubs stretch on the river,fished another new peg to me,the river was high--ish and the swim was super boily,which killed off my hopes of float fishing it,out went a feeder thinking it would be a short wait for a barbel,wrong,i added another half an ounce to hold it steady,still nothing,i started getting itchy feet,so i packed up my oil rig and moved to a peg i'd spoke to Rob about,second trot on a waggler a 2.4 chub,I went on to catch a further eleven up to around 5lbs,the peg was a bit of a swine to play fish in as all the fish come well down the swim and the chub kite from one bank to the other looking for snags,which they find,easily,I must have lost five chub,grrrrr,also lost a carp and a barbel which i foul hooked,another cracking day,with the sun out loads of anglers were out,but the buzzards and red kites looked amazing,you can tell spring is approaching,the long tailed t1ts are in pairs,not flocks,plus ive seen a bird ive never seen before twice this week,a ring tailed parakeet,most odd in flight....

john step

Reaction score
A blank last night. I stayed until 8pm in the dark hoping for one of the very big carp. The frost came down and I thought what am I doing here.
One tweek on luncheon meat was my sole action. Must try harder. An echo of my school reports!

bullet

Reaction score
First day out for weeks, river was really high and coloured, so as a back up I took a leger rod.
Thankfully, I didn't have to use it, as a few Chub and an errant Brownie took a liking to the trotted maggots.

IMG_20200307_144449712_HDR.jpg

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I couldn't make my mind up wether to go out trotting today or not as I only managed to get free at 2.30 and the sky was full of rain clouds. Anyhow I half-heartedly decided to go for it. When I got there the temps were up at 11 degrees but there was a strong gusting downstream wind which made it feel quite cold, it also made trotting close to the far bank a pain in the harris!
The first swim I dropped in produced a couple of small chub and then no more. Second swim produced quite a few and I filled my landing net head up with some of them for a pic, not big fish but great fun whilst trotting....

silvers

Reaction score
After blanking in a match on the Gt Ouse at Olney last week (along with many others with the extra water on) I headed for a small open on the Warwickshire Avon hoping for a few fish ... and that’s how it worked out ... with few = four!
The river was still 10cm above ideal winter level on the Warwick gauge ... and carrying a lot of colour.
I drew a chub flier, known as “the Elders”. I’d won off the same peg just over a year ago with 9 chub for 27 pounds ... but the colour didn’t fill me with much hope. I started on luncheon meat / meat feeder but nothing in the first 45 mins saw me turning to the usual method here ... a long-trotted stick float with maggots, which i’d been liberally feeding since the start. In the second hour I had three chub and was happily in the pattern for a typical winter chub match, fish coming regularly enough. But no more bites were forthcoming, whatever I did with feeding patterns or presentation. With the increasingly blustery wind I switched to a 4g bolo to have some semblance of control in the wind, flow and waves.
In hour four I had a bite in the same area of the swim, well downstream as the river narrows. I played the fish hard to avoid the chub kiting in to the reedbeds, and the fish came easily upstream. I assumed it was about 2 pounds but when I got it in from of me I couldn’t get it up to the surface so easily .... barbel! Only a little one about 4 pounds ... but I think the first one I’ve had this season ... which shows how little I’ve been on the river with the floods.
No more bites forthcoming ... so four fish is what I ended with for 13:13.
As it turned out the river hadn’t fished very well so that was good enough for second, by one ounce!
One more match this river season, Thursday on the same venue.

DeanoJ

Reaction score
Had a good 9 hours today fishing my local with my son.
Pulled 4 carp in 2 at around 5lb and on at just over 10lb. Plus a little stockie to boot.
Chuffed because it's my sons first 10lb carp.
He's really getting into it now!
We also had a Swan that didn't seem to like me very much! Gave my lad a good laugh though!
b5f27d13fc36c7e0e19b6d47fdc34603.jpg
5b4c8bd8c2eadea718860c1771bcfb4c.jpg
5b3e674fcbeb31f0ffe1c582df4a3b21.jpg
7a4fe66a668c34be283ea3479fe0fc4d.jpg
98246f9bbe7944a9cd6defbc09eb2883.jpg

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk