How did you get on?

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Sadly I suspect that Pro Gold has ceased production (I sincerely hope not) and unless I can source any more 6lb & 8lb Pro Gold line or find some good alternative I might have to start using Senseless Sensor line as a last resort (I sincerely hope not). :giggle:

Keith
Heathen, try Shimano Aernos or Shimano Silk Shock.
Or at a push Tubertini Gorilla

barbelboi

Reaction score
I've just double checked that I've got the right thread................ ;)

Yep, seems to be right. I had a couple of hours on one of the local streams over the back this afternoon, not as picturesque (whoa - big word alert) as the others and even more overgrown but there are fish in it and that's what matters. The setup was, as often, the old Microlight2000, pin, small bag and net - the method was trotting a stick with 50/50 flake as bait and the target was roach. Now the roach don't go as large as the other local streams/backwaters and it's even more overgrown but a lot of fun (especially if you are very careful with your footing as it would be quite easy to end up ar$e over breakfast time). The sun disappeared behind white cloud as I strolled across the fields but the temperature was still very pleasant - fished from 2-4 for 14 roach and a couple of small chub.....
stream1july212020.JPG
21july2020r2.JPG

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I entirely agree. I blame lockdown. Just awaiting a delivery of some delectable curry dishes. This thread has been sidetracked by you two. Please keep on topic. :rolleyes:
We were on topic, we were both trying to catch you, ho ho, OK your off the "hook" now-:), just a bit of fun, remember that! apologies all round.

Last edited:

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
“Picturesque“ ? Recent Arsenal form has gone to your head.?

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
What the actual f**k has happened to my thread? Hijacked.
Start your own thread if you want to talk c**p please ....

Peter,
I did say that you would be turning in your grave of you were dead lol.

Glad to see your just fuming instead :).

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Back on topic.

Went to Farmoor with the BF today,largely because neither of us fancied an early start and I didn't fancy another broiling grueller at the Aquadrome surrounded by dogs and kids. A bit of gentle trite fishing for a change seemed just the ticket....some hopes !

I have had it with this bloody furlough lark. Everywhere I've been this year, trite or coarse, club or day ticket has been mobbed out and hammered to death. Sod off back to work you bar$tids and give me a bit of room and peace! And everywhere is neck deep in soddin kids too...get off back to school you little erks . I am so cheesed off with it I am seriously thinking about jacking this fishing lark in as I just cannot stand this any more.

Because its been hammered to hell the trite were as cute as cute can be. I refuse to do what the old Oxford lads do which is chuck a team of heavy flies out, put the rod down and sit on a box. That's ledgering not fly fishing.

We had 3 fish a piece....I lost 3 others ( one I think was foul hooked) and two literally ripped my top dropper off the line, they hit it so hard. That happens occasionally but not twice in a day. It was too bright, too hot and there were far too many goons just walking about while their kids ran riot. I'd have loved to stick a hook in ones ear after the 50th soppy old sod stopped right behind me to point out a duck to their mate. There must be 5000 ducks on that reservoir. What is so special about the bloody duck in front of me ?

We didn't do ourselves justice today and I did not enjoy it. You can probably tell.

FFS how on earth can it be mobbed out on a bloody Tuesday ?

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
What the actual f**k has happened to my thread? Hijacked.
Start your own thread if you want to talk c**p please ....

Simon you created a thread thats has without doubt become the most popular one on FM. It’s human nature that we occasionally digress and maybe a little extra leeway should be considered during this most difficult time.

This thread will always return to topic such is the strength and popularity of it.

Reemul

Reaction score
Fished Kingsbridge again tonight with my son and we blanked again, thats 3 times in 5 days. Never looked like getting a fish either. Starting to get rather frustrating, we both fished close to each other, one doing margins and the island and me doing the reeds and the deep middle.

Nothing, no bite, really not sure what to do Saturday now.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Fished Kingsbridge again tonight with my son and we blanked again, thats 3 times in 5 days. Never looked like getting a fish either. Starting to get rather frustrating, we both fished close to each other, one doing margins and the island and me doing the reeds and the deep middle.

Nothing, no bite, really not sure what to do Saturday now.
I have no idea how your fishing or what your using, maybe a change of bait will help. If small fish try a tiny bit of luncheon meat on a 14/12 hook, or one I used to find good on heavily fished lakes was a paste made from flour and a jar of sandwich spread from the super market, shrimp and salmon ones worked well. Cheese is another one, traditionally a chub bait but you never know. Don't give up, it sometimes takes time to crack a water.

Reaction score
Try corned beef paste,mash up the meat at room temperature,then add fishmeal groundbait to the right consistency,keep in a cool bag,it is a very good bait on commercial type waters,though many don't know it....

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Try corned beef paste,mash up the meat at room temperature,then add fishmeal groundbait to the right consistency,keep in a cool bag,it is a very good bait on commercial type waters,though many don't know it....
That sounds good to me, it's funny you mentioning fishmeal. I bought some fish, blood and bone fertilizer from the pound shop yesterday for my window boxes; I opened it up and it smelt like fishmeal. I am tempted to try it out in my ground bait which I don't use as a rule, make a paste out of it mixed with an egg or sprinkle it over some maggots maybe.

Last edited:

Reaction score
You need to be careful with stuff intended for the garden Mark,it can have chemical fertilizing compounds not suitable for waterlife.

Reemul

Reaction score
I have no idea how your fishing or what your using, maybe a change of bait will help. If small fish try a tiny bit of luncheon meat on a 14/12 hook, or one I used to find good on heavily fished lakes was a paste made from flour and a jar of sandwich spread from the super market, shrimp and salmon ones worked well. Cheese is another one, traditionally a chub bait but you never know. Don't give up, it sometimes takes time to crack a water.

We have tried Luncheon Meat, Sweetcorn, Peas, Pellet, Boilies including wafters and pop ups, a few maggots and worms as well as dropshotting Also tried different flavours, peach, peppers, krill, couple of different types of groundbait as well.

Just as we were leaving last night around 9.15pm and it was getting dark lots of fish coming to the top. Also tried different rigs to change presentation.

I am not sure if we are having an issue with the clay bottom, it's very sticky and mucky.

Speaking to people on the bank there was a general consensus that nowhere seems to be fishing well with lots of people blanking locally and Kingsbridge catch rate well down even if you do catch a few.

Reemul

Reaction score

Cheers, will sort that out for the weekend

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
We have tried Luncheon Meat, Sweetcorn, Peas, Pellet, Boilies including wafters and pop ups, a few maggots and worms as well as dropshotting Also tried different flavours, peach, peppers, krill, couple of different types of groundbait as well.

Just as we were leaving last night around 9.15pm and it was getting dark lots of fish coming to the top. Also tried different rigs to change presentation.

I am not sure if we are having an issue with the clay bottom, it's very sticky and mucky.

Speaking to people on the bank there was a general consensus that nowhere seems to be fishing well with lots of people blanking locally and Kingsbridge catch rate well down even if you do catch a few.
Have you tried bread in its various forms, punch in different sizes, scale size up or down until you get a bite. Flake again in various sizes, you can either tear a piece off and hook it like that or invest in a set of Drennan flake punches.
Floating bread if allowed, you say fish are topping, that may be worth trying, or slow sinking bread, put a piece on hook wet it and squeeze a little air out of it. Ot if floating it, dip it quickly in the water then cast, the water gives it a little extra weight and cast further.
Liquidized bread as an attractant or depending on response small pieces of mashed bread.
Bread paste is another alternative.

Last edited:

tommos16

Reaction score
Evening all. Back from another spectacular day on Holbar lake, Partridge.

3 Pb's (typing that grates a little because I still believe there's more to fishing than the biggest fish but at the same time, its nice to get the bjgguns!)

Pb Bream, 9lb
Pb (and first, so by default) Chub, 3lb
Pb Carp (and I need a bit of advise please, is this a Grassie or just a Lean common?), 13lb

Hell of a day with another 4 Barbel chucked in!

b1f36e4a4f5fdab4c3f483aefc6d4193.jpg

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk