How did you get on?

Reaction score
After writing my last post it seems ironic that i've gone yesterday and blanked,only one bite in the session within vision of the peg I fished Thursday,add that to the fact I had caught a tummy bug that had me racing back and forth to the loo not a the best,I packed at one,which was a shame on such a lovely day...

Last edited:

Steve King

Reaction score
A complete blank today! I arrived Leigh Sinton Fishery a little later than anticipated owing to the satnav leading me to the wrong place and the lack of signs at the fishery entrance.

My mood was not improved by driving up a lane that ended up being a deeply rutted forestry track! Fortunately I was in the Landy, but I hadn’t planned for any off roading and anyway I had just washed it!

The secluded pool I was intending to fish was rather overgrown and the only fishable swims seemed to be right next to the sole angler fishing the pool.

I drove to another pool which resembled a hole in the ground! No trees or shrubs at all!

I plumbed up and set up a float rig to present a bait about 4 inches off the bottom around 12 feet out. I also set up a leger rig and cast out this towards the inlet.

No bites, so changed baits, depth of the float rig etc etc!

Still nothing, so went home!

Last edited:

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Back on the estate today, the gardens are closed so with no public or even any gardeners about it was just me and the crows. same method as previous two trips but a different swim and a different hookbait.

Not a touch in the first hour, decided to risk getting snagged and cast within inches of the reedbed on the far bank, tricky this early in the year as much of the reed is still submerged out of view.

0CD425B4-C4CD-483C-A3A9-AA6806C8E4B7.jpeg

That made all the difference with five tench taken over the next two hours, four green and one golden, best start yet to a tench campaign.

5AF60F2A-979A-4E9E-B8B8-FDE74069AD76.jpeg

F585396E-CBDB-4619-8CF3-9DFD9BD57ABA.jpeg

mikench

Reaction score
Gordon and I met up early doors at a nice day ticket water on our club card. On arrival at least 12 pegs were taken. We settled in to two pegs we have fished before and caught small roach, rudd and gudgeon from the off,

50022e809f912e8829d10aaa816ed4fc.jpg

88d8e50f8a6e85ec83393d19d4db3fa1.jpg

I had a common around 3lb and Gordon caught several crucians and an F1. We both caught several Ide of a decent size and had over 30 fish apiece. It was warm and very pleasant and whilst we did ok many others struggled. It was a thoroughly enjoyable day with good chat on a myriad of topics and we packed up content. Cheers Gordon and i hope your second jab is ok so we can venture forth again on friday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I had a few hours on Newlands today, mainly to get rid of some maggots and pinkies.
I took my margin pole and a feeder rod,
I managed to get a corner peg,
I set two pole rigs up with PI 4 x 14 shallow floats, shorted with 7 number 9 stotz. 6lb line to a 18 and a 16 guru hook.These were matched to 14/16 elastic.
The other pole rig was set shallow at 3' in 8' of water, this was a 4 x 10 maver, 4lb mainlinevto 3lb hooklength and a 20 hook, elastic was 5/6 hollow.
The feeder rod was set with free running inline cube bomb, 5lb line straight through to 18 hook baited with 3 maggots.
The margins were primed with pinkies and maggots . And left for a while as I fished the feeder, nothing was doing on it, a muppet 3 pegs away cast over my line, so I had a bit of fun, I kept giving the reel handle a little turn so his alarm gave a beep, he kept leaning forward as if he was going to strike. I did this now and then for 10 minutes then left it,
The margins had been primed with a little and often approach.
I tried the shallow pole rig at 8 metres in front of me, nothing doing.
So out to the left margin with the rig with the 16 hook on it, this had 4 red maggots on.
Ten minutes later, float dinks and I am playing a feisty carp, elastic was streaming out, I was hanging on ... and the hook pulled, Next put in same again, Then got snapped twice.So it was carp 4 me 0.
Made a rig of 7lb straight through to a size 12 hook and a 4 x 16 float .
Managed to snare a nice 9lb common on that set up.
The day ended carp 4 me 1 carp and a little roach.

jon atkinson

Reaction score
My first post on here for far too long! I've been fishing club waters pretty much exclusively so have been tending to post on the club facebook page but as we now have affiliations that allows us to fish 20 miles of the Leeds-Liverpool as well as various stretches of the 'Shroppie' I feel more in the public domaine! I hadn't fished a cut for over 30 years so I was feeling a little daunted and excited in equal measure as I headed out to the Saracens Head at Halsall a week or so ago. I don't own a pole (don't want one!) so wag & mag would have to suffice. I started on single pinkie on a fine wire 20 but after a biteless half hour I switched to a single red and it was bites from the off. I did also try white, caster and bread punch but single red was definitely what they wanted. I had 50 or so small Roach, half a dozen netter Perch but the only real bend in the rod was an Eel of about 1.5lb which happily was hooked neatly in the scissors so I could just whip the hook out in the net with forceps without having to handle the slimy ******! I suspect that I'll be spending a lot more time fishing canals going forwards ?

Attachments

• 20210411_123836.jpg
    20210411_123836.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 76
  • 20210411_124100.jpg
    20210411_124100.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 95
  • 20210411_143315.jpg
    20210411_143315.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 74

The Sogster

Reaction score
Had an afternoon on the estate lake again today.

Fished on the float similar to my last post, again a large bodied waggler with a bulk starting at two thirds depth.
Baits were maggots, corn and pellets.
Today was a steady stream of finicky bites with most registering as a tiny lift on the float antenna.
They were all 8oz to 10oz roach and skimmers with the odd perch.
As the afternoon turned to evening the fish started to come up in the water so I moved the majority of the bulk under the float with a few spaced out droppers striking at any delay in the floats settling.
Resulting in a few more of the same small roach and skimmers.
Although I did bump a few off I finished with around 6lb for the day.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
I had a message off a friend who fished the other side of Surmans lake on Newlands to me yesterday,
He lost a few large carp as well, it seems as if the margin hunters are waking up.
They are no problem if you hit them in open water, or funny enough in the island margins 40 yards away, they either swim along the edge or out into open water,
It's when they are under your feet or in the margins to your left or right that they can be hard to land.

seth49

Reaction score
Back on usual pond today, on my own for a change, Neil had gone bream fishing on a local reservoir, and Mick was supervising his plumber again.

Bit of a strange day, the tench etc seemed to be on the opposite side of the pond, as it was very quiet on my side, and the normal method feeder and wafter wasn’t working either, apart from one F1.

I had carp in the margin nearly all day, but they just seemed preoccupied with the two mm pellets, and wouldn’t touch anything else, and I tried nearly every bait I had with me.

Did manage two carp of the top, as there were a few cruising around on the surface, couldn’t feed any loose dog biscuits as the ducks and geese had them, a strange day really the water is still very cold yet though, the warm days but cold night aren’t letting the water warm up properly yet, and it’s giving a frost tomorrow as well. Both carp either side of 11 pounds.
B67787C9-7BED-4CBD-9698-16F59C853CD8.jpeg
B740211F-0C99-4A6C-83DF-F7726FADB7AE.jpeg

Pete Shears

Reaction score
After a blank on the local canal feeder reservoir yesterday a trip further afield to the much bigger reservoir, what a cold E/NE/N wind ripping across the water.First job to anchor the brolly then set up the two method feeder rods. I was the only nutter there,have been warmer pike fishing in December than today. Eventually had bites resulting in two roach over a pound with smaller ones and some skimmers. The highlight was an osprey which worked its way round reservoir,didn't see it dive,bet the fish were too deep with this cold wind.

Reaction score
Another day,another dollar,returned to the club pond yesterday,had bites off and on all day with a catch of 13 crucians,biggest 1lb 15ozs 8dr(I wasn't going to weigh it,but I said to another angler it had to be close to 2lb,it was close :) ),5 carp,biggest around 8-9lbs or so,5 skimmers up to a pound,5obviously 6 roach from 4-8ozs and three tench to just shy of 2lb,a nice day where you had to puzzle your way around crafty crucian bites,lovely...

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Today I decided on a new venue,
Lodge Farm fishery on the way to Banbury.
So into my partners car went my stealth lite chair, net bag which also contained a bivvy table, a bag that had floats,a few bits n bobs and a couple of reels, and a rod bag containing my Shimano Aspire Ultra, bank sticks and net handle carried separately.
Got there after a 30 minute drive, it was not what I expected, They were a couple of large farm ponds,natural pegs in as fish where you can.
A few small carp in the 2lb class were on top of one pool.
Myself and the lad I took to Newlands decided on the smaller of the two pools,only because the sun was already on them,
I set chair up and put my bait of pint of pinkies and a pint of maggots on the bivvy table, no pellets, bread meat or corn.
I selected which float I was going to use and which reel, I was going to use my trusty Daiwa 1657, loaded with 2.8lb line.
On with the reel and threaded the line through the rings, I pulled the line down to attach the float and ........ Snap..
Somehow the line had got caught between the tip eye and the next ring down, and the tip snapped off at the tip eye,
Having no other rod,whip or pole with me I had to pack up before I started.
The lad I was with had all my bait due to me not needing it because going away next week.
I spoke to a guy fishing the other pool when I had packed up , he had had a few silvers and a carp of around 5lb on the pole.
My mate messaged me earlier and said one a chuck with small rudd and two small carp.
I will be back there after holiday but this time taking more than one rod.
I managed to get a new tip eye fitted this afternoon, cost me a fiver, but while in the shop I spent £40 on a few bits .