How did you get on?

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Evening folks . Well it was early evening before i headed out today just way too hot but went to my local cut again nice under the trees peg had a few roach Hybrids lots of Stripy's 1 decent bream covered everything in slime and the inevitable hoard of gudgeon got to get some worms next time i get my pension got enough maggots for 1 outing tomorrow then thats me till the 24th great not
Try punched bread over liquidised bread . Sweetcorn works on canals as well.

john step

Reaction score
I fished my club Memorial Match today. It was a feeder /bomb only match as the deceased member remembered was a feeder enthusiast.
It was on a commercial as I described elsewhere. The heat was unpleasant and the fish seemed understandably unenthusiastic.
It certainly wasnt a bite a chuck! First bite after two hours.

I finished with 31pound odd halfway down the field . Quite a pleasant day in the end under the shade of the brolly. It made a change to fish near other anglers and have a bit of banter.

john step

Reaction score
I would add to the above that the aerator in the middle was going like the clappers doing a paddle boat steamer impersonation and the carp fought hard and all went back in fine fettle.

Steve Arnold

Reaction score
A dawn start and a pleasant 17c temperature for me this morning. Hopefully that is the heatwave over!

I had planned a carp attack on a specific swim on the river Lot. The rod had been made up the night before, I was certain the carp would be in the same little hole amongst rocks and weed and went with the heavy rod and super-strong line.

Of course when I arrived, just as it was getting light, there was already another angler bivvied there! :(

A few hundred metres upstream is another swim where I had lost a big carp last year. So that was "Plan B" and not a bad 2nd best!

Plan B swim.jpg

Well, I had plenty of interest in my double boilie baits - but not from carp. Eventually one with a big enough mouth hooked itself on my bolt rig - a barbel of about 4 lb.

Two more barbel in the 5-6lb range finished off the bites. By 10 am the sun was showing it strength and the barbel headed for the shade. Sometimes carp will feed in the sun so I stuck it out for another two hours. No joy!

Not complaining, a good way to forget the heatwave and the barbel were in fine fettle!

Plan B barbel.jpg

Philip

Reaction score
It was time for my annual foray after Mullet in the Mediterranean sunshine. What a great cross over fish they are for freshwater anglers who want to dabble in Saltwater. After a few years of angling for them I thought I had started to get a grip on how to go about catching them with something that could be vaguely called “consistency” but they reminded me again what a frustrating fish they can be. The venue this year was a large network of salt marshes and creeks although this was strictly holiday angling rather than anything too serious.

Mullet1 .jpg

Armed with a pair of polarizing glasses a bag of bread & light trotting gear I set about having a few dawn sessions after them as the sun came up. The scorching temperatures and low water levels meant it was not easy to trot baits down to them from afar which didn’t help matters but I still managed to get a bend or two in the rod.

mullet dawn.jpg

In hindsight I probably would have done better fishing for them after dark, I have done quite well in the past trotting a float at night with a beta light on it but there is only so much time available. A 2lb Mullet will keep you occupied for several minutes on Roach tackle & while I didn’t land any monsters every one fought like a tiger, real diggers Mullet and well worth a dabble if you get a chance.

Mullet2.jpg

The micro landing net comes in handy for holiday fishing..folded & extended...

net1.jpg
Netextended.jpg

Last edited:

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
Well out on the cut again today but left nearly all the gear in the car dug out the bait apron in with the remains of the maggots a few bits 6 hooks a few shot floats rubber stops my favourite drop shot rod and a small reel with 8lb braid to 4lb nylon off i went what a cracking session as well moving from peg to peg nothing major big but some nice Roach ,Rudd ,Bream ,Perch and the ever present gudgeon but some decent size ones this time getting on for 8" long almost forgot the time i was having that much fun , must do that more often it is my prefered way of fishing i have to say

john step

Reaction score
It was time for my annual foray after Mullet in the Mediterranean sunshine. What a great cross over fish they are for freshwater anglers who want to dabble in Saltwater. After a few years of angling for them I thought I had started to get a grip on how to go about catching them with something that could be vaguely called “consistency” but they reminded me again what a frustrating fish they can be. The venue this year was a large network of salt marshes and creeks although this was strictly holiday angling rather than anything too serious.

View attachment 22719

Armed with a pair of polarizing glasses a bag of bread & light trotting gear I set about having a few dawn sessions after them as the sun came up. The scorching temperatures and low water levels meant it was not easy to trot baits down to them from afar which didn’t help matters but I still managed to get a bend or two in the rod.

View attachment 22721

In hindsight I probably would have done better fishing for them after dark, I have done quite well in the past trotting a float at night with a beta light on it but there is only so much time available. A 2lb Mullet will keep you occupied for several minutes on Roach tackle & while I didn’t land any monsters every one fought like a tiger, real diggers Mullet and well worth a dabble if you get a chance.

View attachment 22725

The micro landing net comes in handy for holiday fishing..folded & extended...

View attachment 22727View attachment 22729
I dont suppose thats the Canal du Midi?

mikench

Reaction score
It looks like the area near Hyères on the way to Toulon. Anyway today Gordon and I went somewhere far less dramatic but picturesque in its own way.

1A43C284-D606-4275-B20A-9E26C56F11BB.jpeg

It was lovely to be sat in cool and pleasant temperatures and we enjoyed the conversation and the setting. Unfortunately, as the fab film with Jack Nicholson says “that’s as good as it gets” . The fish were disinterested on this pool and that adjoining. I managed just 2 skimmers all day on the feeder despite trying pellets, prawns, mussels, corn, bread and boilies. Gordon on the float, just for a change also struggled and neither of us caught a thing for the first 3 hours or so. Gordon managed several perch, and a few skimmers and roach. No sign of any carp at all. So all in all disappointing on the catching front but that’s fishing.

Philip

Reaction score
I dont suppose thats the Canal du Midi?

No Pete, further East...CDM is rammed at this time of year ...more boats than water in some parts o_O

It looks like the area near Hyères on the way to Toulon.

Considering I tried not to include any distinctive landmarks that’s quite impressive sleuthing from Mike who is quite close.

…someone should show him the Martin Gay Photos ;)

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
No Pete, further East...CDM is rammed at this time of year ...more boats than water in some parts o_O

Considering I tried not to include any distinctive landmarks that’s quite impressive sleuthing from Mike who is quite close.

…someone should show him the Martin Gay Photos ;)

Noooooooooo!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sam vimes

Reaction score
My first experience of a foreign country was in the general vicinity that you Francophiles are talking about. It was a good old fashioned Canvas Holidays trip to a site in Cavalaire-Sur-Mer. Beyond vague memories of a long car journey with no aircon, lots of ice cream and lollies, pine trees and tents, I can't remember a damned thing about it!

seth49

Reaction score
Usual fishery yesterday, it didn’t look to good when I arrived, there was a green scum floating on the surface, with very little signs of fish rising etc, I did find a clear area so fished there but the scum drifted in there later, it did go when the breeze strengthened later on, before it disappeared later.

same tactics of pole and paste, plus margin rod on alarm as a sleeper, fishing was very slow to start but it did improve later, at least I wasn’t pestered with skimmers like the last few outings,

finished with 9 tench,2 barbel, 1 crucian, and three carp from the margins later, 2 on the pole and one on the Margin rod, as I was packing up, just a little light rain in the morning and then warm in the sunshine later, nice to get out again after the hot weather enjoyed it, although I was very tired last night, probably because I’ve not had to much sleep due to the heat.
99C4BA95-1CB8-4917-AC12-AACC2E653630.jpeg
B9264A56-DAC7-468E-B966-14DDBA1AD805.jpeg
1C64EFCF-B2D4-430D-952D-5670AA79A812.jpeg
001A8D76-3A8D-4A58-A8C0-2FF85CF38522.jpeg

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Usual fishery yesterday, it didn’t look to good when I arrived, there was a green scum floating on the surface, with very little signs of fish rising etc, I did find a clear area so fished there but the scum drifted in there later, it did go when the breeze strengthened later on, before it disappeared later.

same tactics of pole and paste, plus margin rod on alarm as a sleeper, fishing was very slow to start but it did improve later, at least I wasn’t pestered with skimmers like the last few outings,

finished with 9 tench,2 barbel, 1 crucian, and three carp from the margins later, 2 on the pole and one on the Margin rod, as I was packing up, just a little light rain in the morning and then warm in the sunshine later, nice to get out again after the hot weather enjoyed it, although I was very tired last night, probably because I’ve not had to much sleep due to the heat.
View attachment 22737View attachment 22739View attachment 22741View attachment 22743
Possible nice accident waiting to happen with pole sections accidentally going off the the edge,or getting broken where overhang the edge . safer option is the double guru pole sock that is in the pic , large sections one side ,slimmer on the other .
Nice catch of fish , 👍

seth49

Reaction score
Thanks mark.
normally my keep net is in front of the pole sections, preventing them going forward into the water, the front rest is higher than the rear, and I’ve glued high density foam in the male end of each section, which allows them to float and be retrieved if they went in.

I take the net out around 3pm when I swap over to the carp, good idea with the double rest, will do that

nottskev

Reaction score
I've only fished the river for barbel, with a bit of time off during the big heatwave, for the last 6 weeks or so, so I headed over to the irrigation lake on the estate to see if I could catch a carp for a change. With nobody else on the water, I set up in my favourite snaggy corner. It was no surprise that the level was down, and I was sitting, a bit precariously, close to where my bait would usually be

BF.jpg

The fish feed around the deep margins. This is the place that banned me from using a float (those broad-minded carp anglers someone invoked this evening on here) so today I either touch-legered or, when the wind dropped, watched the greased stopknots on my line. The bait was punched meat over hemp and shredded meat. The change from barbel was not really working out, and the first four fish looked like this

BF1.jpg

BF2.jpg

BF3.jpg
BF4.jpg

Exciting stuff, as they all tried to burrow under the trees to my left, but not what I was after today. I tried fishing down the margin to my right, leaving out the hemp and meat feed and feeding just a bit of seafood - a few prawns and mussels. This got a couple of bites, but again not what I was trying to catch.

BF6.jpg

The ide in this water run to quite a size. And the bream are decent, too.

BF5.jpg

So, back over to the risky spot under the overhanging tree. Three bites from the carp. Two I got out, and a third, a hefty beast which I'd stopped in its tracks, trod water and sawed my hook off on the rocks that line the steep sides of the lake.

BF7.jpg

BF8.jpg

seth49

Reaction score
Back on Tuesdays fishery with Neale today, I was going to the syndicate water but it was to windy for there, it was an interesting if frustrating day, did ok with the tench, crucians etc on paste but no carp landed at all, I must have hooked around ten carp today, but lost them all, pretty sure they were all foul hooked as I had a scale on the hook several times.

even though I didn’t feed a lot, they were coming in 4 or 5 at a time, and kept picking the line up with there fins etc, Ive had a few thoughts about this will try something different next time.

In all I had 5 tench, 5 crucians, 2 barbel, 2 F1s, and 12 skimmers, so not a bad day apart from the carp, enjoyed it, and we got away before the rain came as well.
14930F34-EE68-42AF-9CA9-3DB72DD98FBB.jpeg
2F7FC45D-B704-4932-B477-273E6DE2651C.jpeg
BAC6D21A-82D1-448A-9E87-A0278523FD4F.jpeg

mikench

Reaction score
Gordon and I returned to our old haunt and fished again the newest lake of four and one which I call the tench lake. I am still amazed that this year I have had over 60 tench which is beyond my wildest dreams.
C8A39A44-CCE1-4BDC-AA9D-D4C8B2E55726.jpeg

Here is a pic, in true Blue Peter tradition, I took earlier. I had 4 tench like this.

D6258B07-CF59-4DAD-AE57-6930CB064B6C.jpeg

In addition I caught a nice chub and around 14 roach, Rudd and small perch. This was the biggest Rudd if indeed it is a Rudd.

60D8B194-0CA4-452E-8573-0F3B1C873FAD.jpeg

It swung the tip around 90 degrees nearly . I also had a carp in the margins early on which snapped me off. Gordon was his usual efficient self with over 30 assorted roach , rudd and perch but non required the net. It was a lovely day but breezy and , with cloud cover, rather chilly. We both enjoyed it and I look forward to meeting up with Gordon again in 4 weeks time. Save the tench for me and catch those elusive barbel.😉

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
Well some very colourful Roach today but not much else i chose to sit tight in one spot so out with the chair and all the kit think i would have done better going light and wondering around got 1 rod giving me grief right now think it needs new rings or the liners replaced line does not flow smoothly caused a change but oh well

riverman

Reaction score
had a trip to the nidd yesterday and managed 2 barbel and 2 chub.the biggest barbel was around the 4lb mark and the biggest chub around 3lb.
all were taken on legered luncheon meat.didn't take float rod for a change.just a nice relaxing day on the quiver.did lose what felt like a better fish which shot off down the river and spit the hook.never mind you win some you lose some. :)